Switch to Forum Live View Trying to make a start, could use some advice
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 10:18AM #1
PMG

Dear All,

Several weeks ago I began reading the Bhagavad Gita.  I am pausing periodically to meditate upon the ideas therein.  I am also doing other reading on my own.  I am meditating on the love between Krshna and Radha.  And I want to pray to Durga ma.  Unfortunately, I do not read nor understand sanscrit.  Are there such things as reliable English translations of mantras and prayers to Durga and Radha?  As of now, I'm not even to the level of novice, but flailing around a sea of internet "information" looking for a place to start.  I would be grateful for any experienced advice.

Bless you,

Patrick

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 4:57PM #2
Jm8

Namaste Patrick,

not sure if you're still around after such a long time. This forum seems to be 'hidden by obscurity'. Wonder why no one replied to you that all hinduism-related talks are in Hinduism and Discuss Hinduism forums:

community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/view/34...
community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/view/34...

Vaishnavas, at least Gaudiya Vaishnavas, consider Radha the origin of Durga. Therefore one doesn't have to pray to Durga separately. And she is in charge of fulfilling material desires which Vaishnavas try to get rid of.

The main mantra related to Radha is Hare Krishna mahamantra, which addresses Radha and Krishna. It has no English translation, just several commentaries explaining its meaning. E.g.:

www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/sastr...

Hope this helps. Hare Krsna
Your servant, bh. Jan

www.vrindavan-dham.com
www.veda.harekrsna.cz

dvaitaM bandhAya mokSAt prAk prApte bodhe manISayA
bhaktyarthaM kalpitam dvaitaM advaitAd api sundaram

"Duality is bondage before moksa and wisdom after realization. The duality accepted for the purpose of bhakti is sweeter than even non-duality." (from mangalacarana to Advaitasiddhi sara sangraha by Madhusudana Sarasvati, former advaitin)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook