Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Oakland LDS Stake tries to heal post-Prop 8 rifts
8 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2010 - 6:55PM #1
Acts 28:22

Oakland LDS Stake tries to heal post-Prop 8 rifts

UW,  I thought you might find a little comfort in this article.  Have a nice Valentines Day next Sunday.

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2010 - 10:37PM #2
moksha8088

Another possible strategy for LDS people living in hotbeds of resentment toward Mormonism, would be to take a leaf from the now defunct Irish Republican Army (IRA).  May members of this group were quick to point out that they were from the political wing of the IRA instead of the militant wing which blew things up.

I was thinking that these fellow Mormons could tell people they were from the religious wing of the LDS Church.

Faith and Begorrah!

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 12:21AM #3

Feb 8, 2010 -- 10:37PM, moksha8088 wrote:

Another possible strategy for LDS people living in hotbeds of resentment toward Mormonism, would be to take a leaf from the now defunct Irish Republican Army (IRA).  May members of this group were quick to point out that they were from the political wing of the IRA instead of the militant wing which blew things up.

I was thinking that these fellow Mormons could tell people they were from the religious wing of the LDS Church.

Faith and Begorrah!

I must be  misunderstanding you because that sounds disingenuous to me.  Can you clarify?

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 9:30AM #4
UwishUwereMe
I have a DATE for valentines day!  Yippie!
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 12:46AM #5
moksha8088

Feb 9, 2010 -- 12:21AM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

I must be  misunderstanding you because that sounds disingenuous to me.  Can you clarify?

Nothing disingenuous about emphasizing the religious over the political when it comes to Churches.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 9:52AM #6
UwishUwereMe
Religion and politics will for ever and always be joined at the hip.  It is just the way it is.  I think it is up to the individual to seperate the two.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 4:17PM #7

Feb 10, 2010 -- 12:46AM, moksha8088 wrote:

Feb 9, 2010 -- 12:21AM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

Nothing disingenuous about emphasizing the religious over the political when it comes to Churches.

I don't understand your logic Mosha. You said that these Saints in Oakland could say "they were from the religious wing of the LDS church,"  this implies another wing.  We are a Church led by men we know to be Prophets and Apostles. The endorsement for support of Prop 8 came from these inspired men.  Which wing do they belong to?

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 5:24PM #8
UwishUwereMe
I don't think he means there are two "literal" seperate organizations with in the Church.  I think he means figuratively that there are those members in the Church that are political by nature and see their [conservative] politics gorwing from doctrines of the Chruch.  There are those also that see the Church as purely a religious institution and do not intertwine the two. 

I am the latter.  I do not mix my politics with my religious beliefs.  I believe in my faith and hold it much more dear than I do my politics.  But, for some, you cannot be a Mormon with out standing up for the conservative values that the Church seems to hold and not be political about it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 8:29PM #9
BillThinks4Himself

I don't understand your logic Mosha. You said that these Saints in Oakland could say"they were from the religious wing of the LDS church,"  this implies another wing.  We are a Church led by men we know to be Prophets and Apostles. The endorsement for support of Prop 8 came from these inspired men.  Which wing do they belong to?

The John Birch Society.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 10:04AM #10
UwishUwereMe
Bill:  A dispute is brewing in Wyoming over an anti-bullying program called "No Place for Hate," produced by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

The banners that came with the program include the logo of the Gay and Lesbian Fund for Colorado, one of the sponsors. Some of the program's content deals with homosexuality.

UWUWM: Around here its still the Posse Comitatus.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook