4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 1:15PM #1
Agnosticspirit

CLICK HERE for a link to well-known agnostics. Enlightening read. I knew Bill Gates, philanthropist extraordinaire, was an agnostic but didn't know Warren Buffet was among the ranks.

Under the politics and law section, it's kind of sad that the only notable American is Clarence Darrow... I mean, Clarence Darrow was an absolutely superb lawyer, but that none of the openly agnostic politicians are in America kind defeats the concept that there shall be no religious litmus test doesn't it? 

How about you? Any surprises or additions we can add to this list? Let's see... the article included Brad Pitt, but not Angelina Jolie... As far as I know, she's not a theist either. Or maybe they listed her under the Famous Atheists article.

Wikipedia isn't foolproof, but it always provides a good starting point for web based research.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 4:37PM #2
andrewcyrus

Simon Magus

The founder of Gnosticism was so famous that Nero hired him as a magician. Nero also was responsible for making hundreds of thousands of christians disappear in the spectacle of the roman coliseum.

So more info on the "famous" founder of gnosticism.

"Little is known about the rituals, organizational structure and practices of the ancient Gnostics. Almost all Gnostic texts were destroyed during various campaigns to suppress the movement. Although some of their religious writings survive, there is little information about how the groups actually functioned."

www.eaec.org/cults/gnostic.htm

that practices the magic of making things disappear.

"Although Simon has always been held as a traitor and an immoral man by Christians, the rebuke of Peter did not stop him from becoming the founder of Gnosticism. His alleged immorality not only stemmed from his attempt to buy the holy power but also from his later conduct which was misinterpreted and confused by his adversaries.

While continuing earning his living as a magician he is said to have practiced making himself invisible, levitating himself and changing himself into an animal by metamorphosis. But what caused the largest criticism from his enemies was his association with an alleged prostitute."

www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/m/ma...

It appears that is their form of attacking others making things disappear.  Instead of presenting the truth in open discussion they operate in secret by making things disappear.

Cults are secret by nature.

In the book of acts many people came under the spell of simon magus the founder of gnosticism and paid for his services. He was so popular he became the magician for the megalomaniac emporer Nero that slaughtered christians for spectacle in the coliseum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 5:54PM #3
Agnosticspirit

Hi andrew, these chaps you refer to were gnostics, not agnostics.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 5:58PM #4
Wolfhoundgrowl

Siddharta Gautama (aka The Buddha)- such is popular opinion but I he may more  accurately have been Ignostic.

Also David Attenborough (British natural scientist), I found this out about a year ago. I'd always presumed he was Atheist.

And Sting of course.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2010 - 11:40AM #5
Agnosticspirit

Hallo wolfhound, how are you? I've always kinda wondered what Buddha's theological take was re: the existence of deities. Very interesting!

Sting... one of my all time favorite male vocalists of rock... right up there with Jeff Tate, Robert Plant and Chris Robinson (Black Crowes)

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2010 - 5:33PM #6
Wolfhoundgrowl

Did you get his latest album, 'If On A Winter's Night.'

It's amazing. It was actually in the making of docu for the album that I found out he is agnostic.

I always thought followed theistic Hinduism

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook