5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2010 - 8:26PM #1
XingYi

Mencius, and by extension the majority of Confucians that followed him, believed that man was innately good. Xunzi and few other Confucians that I am aware of rejected this idea and asserted that mankind's true nature is evil.

What are some of your opinions on human nature in relation to good or evil?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 5:59AM #2
Hypaethra

Most ancient philosophers seem to have agreed with Mencius on this point, I would say. I think they were saying that human nature is essentially good but is corrupted by society, with which I would agree. I have had difficulty understanding what the ancient thinkers of East and West have meant by 'natural'; in our modern societies were live so detached from the natural world that we no longer have a simple view of naturalness. They knew that Nature can be very cruel and often lived at times of barbarism and tyranny, and yet they could still believe in the innate goodness of Nature and of humanity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2010 - 8:26PM #3
XingYi

Hello Hypaethra,

Fair enough, I think you're correct in stating that the ancients concept of what qualified as "good" is different than ours.  But why exactly is it that you think human nature is good?

Cole

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook