Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christianity is not a new religion
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 2:25PM #1
Slavko

The Bible does not present us with two religions, old and new. In reading the NT, we never encounter any sense that the writers saw any difference between their conception of God and that of the OT writers. Nor is there any hint that they thought they were the pioneers of a new religioin -- that is, the preachers of a new God.

Jesus plainly told us that He is the I AM of the old testament (John 8:58). The Jews He was talking to knew what Jesus meant, because they picked up stones to throw at Him.

The writers of the NT frequently attribute OT quotes of Jehovah to Jesus (Acts 13:47).

"Therefore , as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord" -- 1 Corinthians 1:31. Paul is quoting Jeremiah 9:23-24.  Jeremiah 9:23-24 is about Jehovah. Therefore, as it is applied here to Jesus, Jesus is Jehovah.

reference: The Lonely God, by Ronald L. Dart

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 5:44PM #2
Orangefloat

Slavko, it is wonderful to find someone who understands that our Lord Jesus was in the O. T. as well as in the N. T. Do you also understad that when He said in the N.T. "If you love Me, obey all My Commandments", He meant all ten Commandments as well as any others?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 9:49PM #3
kurnell

Old Testament (Covenant) ...New Testament (Covenant). Sounds like one replaces the other.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2010 - 1:54PM #4
Bob10

Even in the New Covenant the LORD says: (Hebrews 8, Jeremiah 31)

"I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:"

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Heb...

I desire to do your will, O my God;
       your law is within my heart."  (Psalm 40:8, NIV)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2010 - 3:10PM #5
Eliascomes

Christianity is an practice for the atonement from our sins. But instead of practicing outwardly, But we practice it from our hearts to build the inner part of ourselves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 2:19PM #6
BDboy

Few years ago, we had similar discussion in debate forum. Click here if you are interested.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 3:59PM #7
Xapisma

In just five posts you have recreated the two equal and opposite mistakes made by the early church, and which eventually were solved.

On the one hand we have the ones who said that Christianity is a continuation of the Old Covenant without any break. These were the Judaizers who opposed Paul and whom Peter eventually denounced. The First Ecumenical Council meeting in Jerusalem (see the account in Acts) decided that Christians did not have to become Jews before they could become Christians, so yes, there is a break between Old and New.

The opposite mistake, of course, was to deny that Christianity and anything to do with the OT at all. Marcion claimed that Jesus was a new God who overthrew the OT Jehovah, who was an evil vile mean and vindictive tyrant. The church declared that to be a heresy, saying that Jesus as the shoot from the stump of Jesse and the Son of David, had solid Jewish roots. We cannot be the New Israel apart from the Old Israel.

So you are both right. And both wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2010 - 10:44AM #8
BDboy

So you are both right. And both wrong.

>>>> Let me put a slightly different perspective (Islamic). As per Islam, it says God sent us only ONE religion. The core message of it is the same. So what we call Judaism or Christianity or Islam are continuation of the SAME message.

Any Muslim (With little knowledge of scripture) will tell you that, from Adam to Muhammad (PBUH) all messengers of God came with same message. Sumbit and obey one unseen God.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD!" (Deut. 6:4)

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. ( << Mark 12:29 >>)

“There is no true god but God, and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God,” ( First article of faith in Islam)

Most of the prophets/messesngers/navi (Judaic term) were sent to the "Tribe of Israel". Thus Bible rightfully states (Via Jesus son of Mary)

But he answered and said , I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

[ The holy Bible Matt 15:24]

As Xapisma explained, making Chrsitianity an universal faith was later development NOT what Jesus practiced [ According to the message of Bible]. During his lifetime Jesus NEVER preached to any non-Jews.

Islam confirmed all previous revelations and all previously chosen people [ Most of them were Jewish]. At the same time started as an "Universal solution for the humanity". At the last part of prophet Muhammad (PBUH) life God revelaed

.....This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah(God) is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

[ Al Qur'an 5:3]

Therefore, Muslims feel that the revelation (To humanity) completed with the last messenger of God Muhammad (PBUH). Who came with the Final revelation from our Creator.

May all of you have a blessed day!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2010 - 4:30PM #9
Xapisma

Thank you for that addition BDboy. Interesting.

As you noted, all three of the Abrahamic faiths have the call to obey God. (The Hebrew word for "hear" (Shem'ah) also means "listen, obey". ) And as Jesus further says in Mark 12, The second is like to the first, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." This teaching was followed by the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Unlike the Qur'an, the New Testament has not one, but FOUR evangelists, four writers of the Gospels, four witnesses to the life and teachings of Jesus. While we know that Jesus could read and write, he never wrote anything which has come directly down to us. Matthew, whom you quoted, was writing to a primarily Jewish audience. His Gospel makes frequent references to the Jewish Torah and the Nevi'im, and tells how Jesus, the Son of David and heir to the throne of Israel is the fulfillment of all the Messianic promises. Something the other three either don't mention, or say far less about.

Luke, on the other hand, was a Gentile follower. Greek was his first language and his Gospel is probably the best written (from a literary standpoint) of all the New Testament. His Gospel shows women, and foreigners in a most positive light. He was writing to a primarily Gentile audience, and he show Jesus interacting with the poor and needy, the foreigners and women. In short, Jesus as Luke sees him, is the hero of all those who are oppressed. Luke is the one who tells us about Jesus being outfoxed by the Syro-Phonecian women, and being forced to admit that the Gospel is not for Israel alone, but for the whole world. It is Luke who tells us about Jesus healing the Centurians daughter. "I have not found such faith in all of Israel" Jesus says of this Roman (Gentile) soldier. Tradition says that the Gentile physician Luke spoke at length with the Theotokos, and it was from her that Luke learned the most about Jesus.

While Jesus spent most of his ministry preaching and teaching among Israel, givewn the size of the crowds, I am sure many Gentiles heard him also. Luke, again, reports Greeks coming to the disciples asking to see Jesus.

Grace to you, and peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2010 - 3:16PM #10
BDboy

Thank you xapisma.

What I meant by saying Jesus never preached to any non-Jews is, his "Target" audiance was Jews only. I agree that, maybe some non-Jewish "Gentiles" were standing there with the Jews.

I came to this understanding after learning about the following verse.

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth , and commanded them, saying , Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

[ Source: The Holy Bible Matt 10:5-6 (King James Version w/ Apocrypha)]

Even the healing you mentioned, was initially refused by him ( If my memory serves me correctly--feel free to correct me if I misquote).

I did not know much about Luke. Thank you for sharing.

Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook