Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2011 - 5:58PM #31
Iwantamotto

socaluu:   When the Lord set creation into being, it  was declared good. It makes no sense for God to declare the creation  and all God's children good and yet condemn them for the actions of two  mythical fruit eating ing...rates.

Well, to be fair, while God does get all ticked off, He DOES basically let them off almost scot-free.  Instead of death, they get probation, really.  Having to get a job and some cramps is nothing compared to being a pile of ashes on the ground.  God later gets mad at Cain, too -- but He backs down just the same as He did with the parents.  Cain gets off with a "get out of jail free" card and the opportunity to invent civilization.  We must differentiate from what's in the bible and what Christianity likes to say is in the bible.

Aussiesoul:   It is Jesus life that matters to me and what he taught us while he was here.

Amen!

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 6:44PM #32
Bob_Bennett

In order to look at Original Sin, one has to look at what we were before Original Sin.

God created what is known as the Son of God, which was all of us, abiding in heaven with the Father.  At some point, we erred big time (Original Sin) and wound up in bodies on planet earth as the consequence.  You could say that it is as simple as that.

In a way, the parable of the Journey of the Prodigal Son (which is us) is the best biblical way of understanding what it was all about.  See Luke 15.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2011 - 10:26AM #33
Shawn_burke

I'm coming to this forum late but here it goes... It's funny, I used to NOT believe in original sin and now I do. Ironically it was studying Buddhism that led me to embrace the belief! But that's a whole other story...

I don't think you have to accept a literal interpretation of Gensis at all to accept orginal sin. There is no reason to differenciate selfness and sin. That is what sin is--living for yourself instead of God and others. We are born selfish and it is only through God's undconditional love--He loves the best and least of us the same--that we can break out of that, if only momentarily.

I think the concept is very uplifting actually, one of hope and love. Despite my faults, not matter what I do, God will forgive and love me. It also serves to rebuke egotistical thinking. When I think I'm better than others and judge others, it reminds me that we are all equal in the eyes of God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook