Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 1:55PM #1
asl1290

Hey everyone,

So I called the branch in the US, and they said that the preliminary report was that there was no damage to the branch and that the Bethel family is all accounted for.  They do not know beyond that saying it is too soon because of the confusion.

They said that the brothers in less affected areas were no doubt helping, and that they hadn't planned any aid to the region yet because it is hard to get into, and it is too soon.

So just wanted to see what you guys heard.  I offered to be a helping hand and was directed to donate to the worldwide work fund.  I told him I thought there was a special relief fund the branch keeps in reserve, and I was volunteering my time and hands immediately.  He said that the regional building commitee, was the best place to get updates since they would head the relief effort?

Is there any other way to help, because I have the ability to get on a plane tonite and help someone.

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 6:30PM #2
Goodtobehomestill

Oh, heavens I just caught the news report.  100000 dead?  My heart is constricting in my chest.  And it sounds like everything is in complete chaos.

I would definitely call the RBC.  They'll be getting updates as soon as they figure out what is most needed, and that might take a day or two.   But if you call the RBC and tell them you can get transport to the area, they'll find a way to put you to work.

I didn't even think of calling, you told me more than I knew, and I thank you.  Keep us up to date on your doings, you'll be in my prayers as the family there are.  There's so much devastation it may even be quite dangerous, I can't believe the pictures I just saw on the news.  Unbelievable...

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 6:57PM #3
ATALAYA
Sad. As Jesus Christ foretold, destructive earthquakes can be expected to continue, one place after another,” until this present “system of things” comes to its end. (Matt. 24:3, 7)
(Isaiah 21:8) . . .Upon the watchtower, O Jehovah, I am standing constantly by day, and at my guardpost I am stationed all the nights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2010 - 7:28PM #4
humbly.search.for.truth

I read on Associated Press that one official estimates 500,000 casualties in the disaster.  Of course, at this point in time it is just an estimated guess at best, but it just goes to show you how devastated it must be there!  

I really feel bad for the people there.  It is a poor country through no fault of their own.  A 7.0 would not have caused that much damage in developed countries.  It is really sad that there is so much injustices across the globe.  But, that is the way it will be in this period of history.  

I hope that the people will recover from this disaster real soon!  I am sure that our relief efforts will be there just as soon as it is realistically possible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 12:24PM #5
asl1290

Well its official, nobody wants self propelled help, just money.

I suppose I understand why that would be.  Also, I don't qualify to help apparently.  More detail was not drawn for me, but I am assuming because I am not yet baptized?

Once again, I understand why all organizations are asking for money, not help.  They already have disaster relief systems in place.  I just don't feel comfortable doing that.  I would rather be on the ground help, since I know I can handle and stomach things many cannot.

A little frustrated sitting on my couch watching these poor people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 4:05PM #6
Goodtobehomestill

I understand your feelings, Asl, and honor you for them, I forgot about the requirements.  While I send you a big hug, remember, prayer is something, and we should all be exerting ourselves in this, as I know you are.  Prayers for those affected, those helping, and those who will need to make room  in their homes for the homeless. 

The family will pull together, and they will be looked after, Father is in charge.  I appreciate you very much, if you don't know.  Smile

― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 5:40PM #7
humbly.search.for.truth

Jan 14, 2010 -- 4:05PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

I appreciate you very much, if you don't know. 

Ditto.  

I am very glad you post at Beliefnet, even though you are not yet baptized.  Your thoughts and expressions have helped me and always look forward to reading them.  Don't ever leave!  

We can't always do what we want to help.  Sometimes our hands are tied for one reason or the other.  However, your ambition to help is very impressive.  Great attitude to have.  It is too bad that there are so many injustices in the world.  If Haiti didn't have a 80% poverty rate, maybe they can build better homes and structures for themselves.  That is one thing I know Witnesses would do in the world if they had the ability...share in building great homes and structures...and not just for the US or the UK, but yes even Haiti.  But, for now even our hands are tied because of man's ambition and lust for wealth and control.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2010 - 10:31PM #8
asl1290

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words.  I didn't know you felt that way.  I am a little frustrated we aren't doing more.  But I am sure many people in the world feel the same way.  I am looking into helping out on the ground in other ways, but i am hitting dead ends.  There was no update at the meeting last night.  I told the guys what the service department said, but they told me since it wasn't official they would not be announing anything.  Whats more official than the service dept?

Oh well.  I appreciate the thoughts.  The horror there right now though is pretty intense.  I wonder if its possible to get in from DR to help?  I can't imagine that hands (especially self funded hands), aren't needed on the ground!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 2:54PM #9
ATALAYA

For Immediate Release
January 14, 2010

Earthquake in Haiti

NEW YORK—Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide are expressing deep concern for the victims of the devastating earthquake that took place in Haiti on January 12, 2010. Many Witnesses have made particular inquiry about the welfare of their 16,000 fellow worshippers in Haiti after learning of the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that struck about 10 miles southwest of Port-au-Prince.

Although direct communication to Haiti remains problematic at this time, preliminary reports are starting to be received at the Witnesses’ world headquarters in Brooklyn. The branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Haiti at Santo, near Port-au-Prince, reports no injuries among their personnel and no major structural damage to their buildings. Additionally, communication was established with Witness missionaries, and no injuries are reported among the missionaries or the traveling elders among Jehovah’s Witnesses who were visiting congregations in the affected areas. Sadly, preliminary reports confirm that 52 Witnesses lost their lives in the earthquake; that number is expected to rise as more reports are received.

Witnesses around the world are offering their assistance. The Witnesses’ relief efforts are currently being coordinated from their world headquarters in Brooklyn with the assistance of the branch office in the Dominican Republic, providing practical help and spiritual comfort for the victims. More detailed information will be provided as it becomes available.

Jehovah’s Witnesses have been actively promoting Bible education in Haiti for over 80 years.

(Isaiah 21:8) . . .Upon the watchtower, O Jehovah, I am standing constantly by day, and at my guardpost I am stationed all the nights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 5:09PM #10
Goodtobehomestill

Back in '95, when the Kobe, Japan area had a comparable quake, the Witnesses worldwide had donated 1 million dollars toward relief in just the first three days.  The KHs were filled to bursting with supplies, more than they could use, so after sharing out with neighbors who lived in their areas, they took supplies to hospitals.  The elders got around on motorcycles. 

I am wondering if logisitcally Haiti is more of a challenge?  And so many very poverty stricken people to start with!  But it sounds like it is terribly hard to get anything in, and there is already so little there to build with.

If you are a person who has any fear of dying, being in a 'quake zone' would leave you with a terrible feeling of uncertainty.  I guess it is too soon to even think of psychological effects, with people still buried.... but there will be mental and emotional suffering for years with this.  

We need the kingdom. 

― Epictetus

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook