Switch to Forum Live View Please help me find this text
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2010 - 10:31AM #1
Gavi

Does anyone know what this text is?

www.cdbaby.com/cd/leofuld 

select: 'Hebrew Chant - Liturgical'

The sample is only a few seconds long but I'm hoping someone out there will recognize it.

Many thanks,

Gavi

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2010 - 8:31PM #2
ffb

the selection is short and the words are few (and the accent is thick) but if I had to guess...

i'd say it is from the talmud tractate brachot 64b

Rabbi Elazar said (quoting Rabbi Chaninah) Torah scholars increase peace in the world...

in hebrew though and I don't know how much of this is used in the song (if this is indeed it)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2010 - 11:49PM #3
nieciedo

I think you're right.

I definitely got "Talmidei hachakhamim..." and from your suggestion "sholom bo'olam."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2010 - 2:01AM #4
NahumS

Indeed - that's it. It's said /sung/ chanted at the end of Ein K'elokienu. This is a piece of Hazzanut.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2010 - 7:51AM #5
Gavi

Thank you so much! Shabbat Shalom everyone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 7:10AM #6
Gavi

I have another question on this, is this a baraisa?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 9:47AM #7
Pam34

Technically, apparently not - since the source indicated is from the Talmud - and a baraita is 'external' -

The baraita (the external teaching of a tanna [a sage from the time of the Mishnah] not included in the Mishnah [itself])

Found a definition at myjewishlearning.com 

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 10:19AM #8
Gavi

Sorry my question should have been: what is meant by "...said in the name of R. Hanina" ? Does this mean R. Eleazor is bringing down a baraisa?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2010 - 6:07PM #9
ffb

Jan 15, 2010 -- 10:19AM, Gavi wrote:

Sorry my question should have been: what is meant by "...said in the name of R. Hanina" ? Does this mean R. Eleazor is bringing down a baraisa?

this is introduced only as "x said in the name of y" -- it is not introduced as a reference to a braita ("dtania" or "dtnan" for example). just as a clarification: while a braita means that the source material was not included in the body of mishna used as the basis if talmudic argument, its inclusion as support for argument transforms it into a talmudic quote.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook