Switch to Forum Live View OMG... someone wished me a Merry Christmas!
5 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2009 - 8:57PM #1
Ceren

Assalamu `alaykum,

I'm sure most of you living in North America realize that Christmas is a big deal around here. Decorations all over the place, people buying gifts, turkeys, trees, etc, etc. Also, people volunteering more, donating more, and being kinder and nicer. I also realize that, at least in Canada, the celebration is largely cultural since most people are not religious. People celebrate it because... it's nice to get together with family, it's nice to buy and receive presents, it's nice to have "special decorations". I also guess many do celebrate it because there's this huge media campaign promoting it!

I have to admit that I like Christmas time. I like the decorations, the "holiday cheer", people enjoining other to being good, seeing kids excited, etc, etc.

I've been reading some Muslim blogs and see that many people express annoyance at being wished a "merry christmas"....and I was wondering if anyone knew why. I personally don't get annoyed. I think people are wishing me something nice, and they don't know my beliefs or whether I celebrate christmas or not. They're just trying to be nice, so... why would I get annoyed? I usually just say "thank you", or, if I'm feeling up to it, a simple "I'm not Christian but thank you for the good wishes!"

Sometimes at school I've been mistaken for a jew (when I wear a sort of snood-type headcovering and a turtleneck). And I've been wished "shabat shalom"  and I also don't feel offended or anything... I think people wishing me that are trying to be nice!

So... what are your thoughts?

All the best,

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2009 - 11:03PM #2
Faqir

I personally see nothing objectionable in celebrating the birthday of one of the Prophets of God. Yes, we do not agree with some Christian theology, but Christmas has nothing to do with those issues. If a person thinks it is okay to celebrate the birthdy of the Prophet Muhammad, I don't see how they can object to Christmas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 1:23AM #3
sonrisadeallah

Wa alaikum asalaam ,

I have given some thought to this, as I am a Muslim with a Christmas tree in my home.  I grew up with a tree and we were not religious at all.  My children's father is Catholic, I'm divorced, became Muslim sometime later, but simply could not just take Christmas away from my kids.  I personally have never actually been the biggest fan of Christmas though.  If it was not for my kids, probably would not do this...but  I did love the Posadas in Mexico :)  On second thought maybe I would have liked Christmas more if it would have had some spiritual meaning for me.

Basically I am with Faqir on this in terms of celebrating it.  Even if I was in my heart celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ religiously, I think this would not be wrong.  I have read the arguments that we are not supposed to be following "them" (not my word) but I feel confident that Allah will cut me some slack on the tree.  I wish more Muslims would put their money where their mouth is when it comes to Jesus. 

SDA

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 8:38AM #4
belleo

I'm Canadian and I lived in northern Ontario , Canada as a child . We celebrated Christmas the birth of Jesus on Christmas Day . We did not believe in Santa Claus . My mother made it quite plain that father worked very hard on the railroad and he was the one who bought the extra food we had for Christmas . That would be oranges and a few candies and we all played a board game . There was fourteen of us kids . I had six brothers the glint in my dad's eyes . He had his own ideas about women . He did need those boys on our one acre farm . We were dirt poor okay that is as the world sees it . Our heart was the crid for Jesus who wants us all to love one another . Did I miss not having a Christmas tree ?  I don't think so . When someone says to  me Shalom does that bother me ?  I don't think so .

I was born Canadian . Most of the people I know go to church . Do they really know that God is Love . I can only speak for myself I know that I didn't know the love that God had for me for a long time . It happened when I was in my thirties . I think it happened because I was finally accepted by warm hearted people who had experienced Metanoia (conversion not to a religion but to God who lives in our hearts.). They now could share the love they had in their hearts .

Happy New Year to all.  Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 5:00PM #5
RepresentingtheGod

Christmas is supposed to have a meaning behind it, but I think Christmas is different for different people. I do not think all people consider it a celebration of the birth of Christ. Personally to me it is a time of self-sacrifice [and its consideration] and I think gifts should be given to those in need, not to those in want.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 6:26PM #6
belleo

Jan 3, 2010 -- 5:00PM, RepresentingtheGod wrote:

Christmas is supposed to have a meaning behind it, but I think Christmas is different for different people. I do not think all people consider it a celebration of the birth of Christ. Personally to me it is a time of self-sacrifice [and its consideration] and I think gifts should be given to those in need, not to those in want.

I would think you are quite right . It is Christians who see Christmas as the birth of Jesus . My grandson has Arab  friends . Next year he goes to university . He accepts his friend that prays quite often from what I hear . His friend participates in quite a few family celebrations  during the year . I think it is quite nice that he has this friend and they study together and what not .  I'm sad that my grandson says he is an atheist . He was brought up Christian . I also know when I was younger I had similar ideas . If there was a God why was I left to be manipulated , beaten to a pulp ? My granson is intelligent . I know in time he will believe in God again . He has loving parents and loving friends who accept  him where he is at .

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 9:50PM #7
Miraj

When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I tell them that I don't celebrate Christmas.  They're reaction is invaribly one of surprise.  I kind of relish that response because its ignorance that allows people to think that everyone believes as they do.  I've come to resent Christmas as there is more of talk about how businesses should be pressured to drop Happy Holidays and only use Christmas in their ads and greetings, as if there are no other holidays at the end of the year.  To me, there is no "spirit of Christmas" in the proprietory ill will toward faiths that want to share even a little of the spotlight of recognition, in the relentless consumerism and in the bickering over who gets space in the public square to advertise their faith, and who should pay for it. 

Also, Christmas is being touted as a "season" instead of a day, so its tyranny is expanding to encompass even more time when we are all to be bombarded with all this good cheer that seems to be forgotten the rest of the year,

December 25 is not the birthday of Jesus, so I feel no remorse in bah humbugging the annual hypocrisy.  I like the lights, but the rest of it sends me running to the Muslim world until its over.  But, then, I have never been a Christian, and have no warm feelings from my past to draw me toward ths mix of Christianity and paganism that so many obsess about.

Salaam

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 12:25AM #8
Ceren

Jan 3, 2010 -- 9:50PM, Miraj wrote:

When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I tell them that I don't celebrate Christmas.  They're reaction is invaribly one of surprise.  I kind of relish that response because its ignorance that allows people to think that everyone believes as they do.  I've come to resent Christmas as there is more of talk about how businesses should be pressured to drop Happy Holidays and only use Christmas in their ads and greetings, as if there are no other holidays at the end of the year.  To me, there is no "spirit of Christmas" in the proprietory ill will toward faiths that want to share even a little of the spotlight of recognition, in the relentless consumerism and in the bickering over who gets space in the public square to advertise their faith, and who should pay for it. 

Salam,

It's interesting how we all have different experiences. I live in a very multicultural city, so it's not really a surprise for anyone that I don't  (or that others don't) celebrate Christmas. And since most people are not religious, there's no "Merry Christmas" pressure.

I guess maybe in other parts where people are more religious is different, but in more "non-religious" parts there's such a good mood all around!  I've been told that it's similar to what happens in some Muslim countries during Ramadan but I have not had the opportunity to experience it first hand. So I guess in the meantime, I just have to conform myself to seeing the big smiles, end of year well wishes and silly (but lovely!) Christmas decorations all around me!

All the best,

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 3:48AM #9
visio

Sometime I am just wondering what if sometime in the future that someone just fly over the cuckoo's nest and change the whole of our calendar system, and business just close their annual accounting book on a different time frame than what it is, would this Xmas thing as merry as the festival of gifts galore and the boring YES of the YEAR END SALE?  Where I am, we have Muslims (big majority) Hindus, Buddhist (big minorities) it is more like the YESS - Year End Sale Season.  Of course it is nice to see all the dummy snows, lighted xmas trees and even the dummy and paid Santa Claus who can turn out to be a devout Hindu or Buddhist and may be even a Muslim.   To me, not being a Christian, it is just a reminder of how Isasaw (Jesus) was born - a sign of the Greatness of ALLAHswt.   The date doesn't matter that much.  To others, I don't really know.  It may just be that Xmas is just one of those white thing that many do fantasise.  In the same token we do, also, celebrate the birthday of Muhammadsaw, although there is no provision for it in the Al-Quran or Ahadith.  It is just a Day of Rememberance - a voluntary one.  Good for the kids.  And that is also a Public Holiday. Its quite amazing where I am; with 65% Muslim, we have on our calendars Public Holidays for almost all mainstream religous festival - Hindus, Buddhist, Chinese, Christians and in some state even the old paganic Harvest Festival.  I guess all those are good things for the soul.
And ........I just learn something about the Ramadhan.  It is a real test, or, call it a month long festival if you like.  The month is fixed in the Islamic calendar but the challenging climatic environment is cycling every year.  It can be summer for several years.  After that it can be in winter.  And so Muslims have to endure it for all conditions of changing seasons.   Imagine fasting during winter.  It may be for shorter hours, but the stress of hunger on the stomach I guess would be harder.  A pious Imam would say that the Greatness of ALLAH's Justice and Fairplay, if one is to join Him in His Game.  And joining Him is a MUST, willingly or unwillingly.

Salam/Peace/HORAS  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 7:39AM #10
Globalnomad

Re: "I think people wishing me that are trying to be nice!" - AMEEN, please hold that thought! If you meet people from another religion that you're not as familiar with as your own, isn't it easy to slip and say 'mash'Allah' where our intentions are completely honourable. I would always assume good intentions and not get upset; good relations with people who wish no harm etc are an asset and should be cherished for the sake of peace on earth. Making a fuss out of well-intentioned words is not worth it (where appropriate maybe another occasion may be relevant to nicely explain what position of Christmas/ Prophet Jesus PBUH etc is in Islam). My 2p. In peace, Rianne

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook