Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Introduction
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:38PM #31
Aaron

electicjim, I can relate to your advice about throwing out your past religious experience. When I left fundamentalism (indeed when I left Christianity) I dropped everything - all of my religious beliefs, opinions, political views, morals, values, my entire world view. I took it all out of my brain and dumped it all on the floor. I've spent the last decade working from scratch. Most of the things I've picked up are new, but I've also picked a few things back up which I had thrown away in the beginning. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it. I'm not sure if there is any other practical way to do it. But for those of you who do trash all of your religious beliefs and start from scratch, realize that when you start collecting new beliefs some of the old stuff might still be good. You just might have to rearrange things to make it fit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 5:36PM #32
eclecticjim

Aaron: Glad to hear from you. I note you like Bart Ehrman. Have you read Karen Armstrong's books "The History of God" and "The Case for God?" As you ponder your spiritual journey, you may find these helpful. I find the  Christmas stories of Matthew and Luke to be as creative as Clement Moore's story. Also I strongly recommend you see "What the Bleep do We Know?" The comments by the Irish Priest Dr Ledwith and Dr. Fred Allen Wolf are facinating.

I look forward to your thoughts and those of any others in this Community.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2011 - 3:42PM #33
Pmjpkj

Hi everyone! I'm a graduate student studying marine science and am new to beliefnet. I believe in the relavency of most religions, equality for humankind, respect for life, and of course respect for the environment. 

My mother, who was a single parent, raised me. Although she is a psychotherapist, her BA is in religious studies. She surrounded me with teachings from world religions and I soon realized that not only were they relevant but most were strikingly similar.

I have always wanted to be a part of a religion that accepted all others. I remember as a teenager I wanted to create one called Universalism because nothing seemed to fit. At that time, I didn't know that I was behind the times and there was a religion with most everything I was searching for already out there. 

I'm looking forward to joining this community. 

Christiana

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 6:50PM #34
Elynnlange

Hello all,

My name is Erika and I am new to both the UU faith and Beliefnet.

I will be attending a UU church in Denver for the first time on Sunday morning (hopefully--if my work schedule permits), and am very much looking forward to it :)

In the meantime, I would just like to meet other UUs and maybe make some friends along the way.

:D

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 8:54AM #35
RevDorris

Erika and Christiana welcome to the forum.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 12:07PM #36
Elynnlange

Thank you very much :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 1:22AM #37
Iolanthe

Hello,

I'm fairly new to beliefnet and not really sure what faith I am. I've just done the Belief'0'matic quiz and UU came up as my result. After reading' What UU's believe' I thought I would check out  this forum and find out more.

It was interesting to read that you hold varying views on different aspects of faith which I find encouraging. 

Even though I don't attend a church I hope I will be welcome here.

Iolanthe X

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 18, 2013 - 3:08AM #38
RevDorris
Welcome to the forum.  Will look forward to your posts.
With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 24, 2013 - 1:30PM #39
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I have been to Canberra UU services twice. The Belief-O-Matic quiz had consistently scored UU up amongst the top of suitable denominations.

I have a question about the order of service. What is the history of this? How did it come to be?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook