Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View at death time stops
5 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 1:48PM #1
Bob10

Daniel 12:2 (New International Version)

Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Luke 16:22-23 (King James Version)

22And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23And in hell (grave) he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Revelation 20:13 (King James Version)

13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell (grave) delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

What happens at death (eyes closed) is that time stops (Ecclessasties 9:4-6). That's why the resurrected (lift up his eyes, eyes open) Rich Man --  Luke 16:23 --  thought his five brothers will still living at home in their father' house.

We are absent from the body at the Resurrection of the saints. So for all practical purposes, the moment of death is the moment we see God.

reference: The Lonely God, by Ronald L. Dart

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 8:00AM #2
steve123

I agree.  Eternity is timeless, so when we die we will see God, because the resurrection will happen at that same time (speaking in a timeless eternal sense).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2009 - 2:47AM #3
Orangefloat

Would you explain to me on what basis you believe that resurrection occurs at the time of death? Lazarus was resurrected four days after he died, not right at the time of death. Jesus was resurrected on the third day after He died, and guess what? He didn't see God the Father right then, only later in the day.

Scripture clearly says that all the people who died in Christ will be resurrected on the day Jesus returns to this world, and only then will they, along with the saved people who are stillliving at that time, meet Christ in the air.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2009 - 2:11PM #4
Bob10

"Scripture clearly says that all the people who died in Christ will be resurrected on the day Jesus returns to this world, and only then will they, along with the saved people who are stillliving at that time, meet Christ in the air."

I agree. It is just that when you die, time for you stops. So the next second of time for you --whether it is 100 years or 600 years -- is the resurrection.

Eccl. 9:10Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2009 - 2:12PM #5
Bob10

Was not Lazarus resurrected back to physical life?

Jesus was resurrected spirit, immortal

this might be of some interest ---

worldwidechurchgod.blogspot.com/2007/06/...

worldwidechurchgod.blogspot.com/2007/09/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2009 - 12:18AM #6
Orangefloat

Thank you, Bob 10. I see what you are saying. Death is like sleep. When the alarm clock goes off in the morning, it feels like you just fell asleep.

About Jesus, He was resurrected the way He was on this earth, fully God and fully Man. After His resurrection, He had Thomas touch Him because Thomas wasn't sure it was really the same Jesus he had known. (Luke 24:39).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 12:51AM #7
kurnell

It seems to me that between the time of death and our coming into the presence of a holy God, there needs to be some work done . If, as Scripture says,"without holiness, no man shall see the Lord", most of us are in a spot of trouble.For what we are and what we should be, are two distant things.

This is why I believe that there must be an intermediate state of purification, before entering Heaven proper. I am happy with the term Purgatory, without the Romanish trappings.

Death does not, in itself, purge us from sin.  I do not believe God looks at us through rose tinted glasses (Imputed Righteousness)either. So, in my mind, some sort of transforming place lies between death and resurrection.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 8:46PM #8
Orangefloat

Jeffrey, the following verse has been quoted already, but for the sake of clarity, I will quote it again:

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten.

This verse tells us that when we die, we have no consciousness, so we can't do anything. I agree with you that a lot of work needs to be done before we can meet God, but this work needs to be done before we die, or it won't get done at all.

Our part in this work is to yield ourselves completely to Jesus,  and God's part is to shape our characters to make us fit for life in His kingdom. There won't be any intermediary state. Either we die before Jesus comes, and in this case we will be awakened by His shout, rise from our graves and join Him in the air, or we will still be alive when He comes, and in this case we will join Him along with all the risen dead. The Bible is clear that this is the first resurrection, the resurrection of salvation. If we are not ready by that time, we will remain dead until the second resurrection, wich is the resurrection of the lost.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2009 - 8:25AM #9
Campbellite

Until we die, none of us will really know.

And so long as we ultimately find ourselves in the eternal presence of our Lord, what happens in the mean time doesn't really matter.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2009 - 11:20PM #10
SeraphimR

What do you all make of Enoch, who walked with God and was not?

And then there is the good thief, who is hanging out in Paradise.

And then there are those who heard Christ preaching in Hell.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook