Page 1 of 55  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 55 Next
Switch to Forum Live View My Pastor KNOWS better...
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 1:45PM #1
UwishUwereMe
I still love it when someone asks what I believe or what my Church teaches, and when it isn't the answer that person wanted, or if it is too close to that person's own beliefs for comfort... The Confronter breaks out "My Pastor told me otherwise..."  Other alternatives are "My Pastor told me you would state something similar to what I believe to try to hide what you REALLY believe..."  etc.  Because Pastors whom have never read the BoM or whom have NEVER been to a Mormon service, or even known a Mormon... obviously possess the authority to tell Mormons what they believe... Grrrr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 7:50PM #2
Ironhold

It's a mental block.

In instances like this, non-Mormons would rather believe something that they've been informed is wrong than admit that the source in question screwed up somehow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 9:57AM #3
UwishUwereMe
Well seriously... Hoe DARE you question your Pastor...?  But in the same line, this si why some people struggle with their Bishops and what some Bishops tell them.  Why would we EVER question the Bishop?  I mean it goes both ways...  But I think MOST Mormons MOST of the time are willing to sit back and consider things and draw their own conclusions... That's the cool thing abotu being a Mormon... We are the most "liberal" Conservative church around.  We don't HAVE to obey the WoW, we aren't FORCED to prefron our duties in a calling, no one hold a GUN TO OUR HEAD if we don't want to go to all meetings.  I think it's funny when other Churches talk about Mormons as though we have these nearly impossible flaming hoops to jump through to even be considered let into heaven.  That's not it at all... The Church says... fine, you want to drink beer... that's YOUR business, but be aware that not everyone can stop at one or two and also be aware that if you push the limits you MAY experience troubles with health, the expense of the beer, the law... etc.  Same thing with Coffee, tea, tobacco... It isn;t ONLY that coffee isn't great for the system, but I know a co-worker that can't function with out a trip through Caribou Coffee twice a day... hmmm then she wonders why she can't pay her cable and electricity bill when shes blown over 300 dollars in coffee for the month... 

We are not FORCED to obey anything... it is our own TEMPORAL & SPIRITUAL fate if we don't.  The Church doesn't even teach for such infractions that we will end up in "Hell" either the conventional form or otherwise if we do not obey these laws... But really when you've spent OVER $300 on coffee in a month, that could add up to between $3,500-$4,000 a year... That's like going from making $40,000/year to $36,000/year and it's something in your total control! So, though God might still let us slip through the veil, we still have to deal with reality on Earth, and my reality says there are mor important things to do with my life than spend $5,000-$10,0000 per year on Booze, Smokes, and coffee.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 6:46PM #4
Ironhold

Dec 3, 2009 -- 9:57AM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

Well seriously

Really, I'd have to say that it ultimately goes to fear of the unknown.

A lot of non-Mormons would rather prefer that the church be at arm's length. They're vaguely aware of it, and want to keep it that way.

This is because if it remains at arm's length, they're free to go ahead and hold on to whatever negative preconceived notions that they happen to have.

If the church gets to close, then they'll be forced to rethink and re-evaluate what they've been saying, thinking, and doing. In particular, they might end up coming to like the church.

They don't want to face that possibility.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 10:57PM #5
Truman47

Dec 3, 2009 -- 9:57AM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

Well seriously... Hoe DARE you question your Pastor...? But in the same line, this si why some people struggle with their Bishops and what some Bishops tell them. Why would we EVER question the Bishop? I mean it goes both ways...

. . . good point.

But I think MOST Mormons MOST of the time are willing to sit back and consider things and draw their own conclusions... That's the cool thing abotu being a Mormon...

If you don't think that most of those of other churches do the same, I think you've got another think coming. Undecided

We are the most "liberal" Conservative church around. We don't HAVE to obey the WoW, we aren't FORCED to prefron our duties in a calling, no one hold a GUN TO OUR HEAD if we don't want to go to all meetings. I think it's funny when other Churches talk about Mormons as though we have these nearly impossible flaming hoops to jump through to even be considered let into heaven.

Why should it seem so funny when those other churches are so ignorant about Mormons and typically give very little thought about them.  Me for example, before my long trek through Mormonism, I knew absolutely nothing about it as a very involved Christian.  I just really didn't worry about other faiths and concentrated on my own.  Sorta like any Mormon would, huh?  Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 9:35AM #6
UwishUwereMe
Truman says:

If you don't think that most of those of other churches do the same, I think you've got another think coming

UWUWM:

Truman, I totally agree with you... but the funny thing is... at the end of the day... some ex roommates of mine (all evangelical) were very peculiar in that... we would talk for several hours about our similarities and our love of the Savior and his role in our lives... and after our talks and a closing prayer... they would then say... well that was cool UWISH, but your still not REALLY a Christian.  Then they would say but we still respect you and your [non-christian] religion!

It's like, really... they tell me having Christ as my Personal Savior is a PERSONAL thing, but then conclude that he really isn't MY personal Savior... uh... o...k...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 10:50AM #7
Lavender

I find it interesting that other denoms don't go to their Bibles for answers, but rely on the old, "My pastor said..."

Remember when Paul referred to the Word as milk and meat? I think he was trying to say that most Christians would rather be "breast-fed" or bottle-fed because they don't really want to do anything. If you want to eat meat, you usually have to use siverware and cut it up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 11:00AM #8
Lavender

Getting sorta off topic...

In "Debate Christian Theology", I said, "You can't cut and paste Scripture to fit your preconceived notions."

Boy, THAT was the wrong thing to say! (Even though it is true.) They jumped down my throat faster than a boat with holes sink! Gee, maybe they just don't want someone to point out the truth. Well, I'm not here to make Tom, Dick, and Harry feel better about themselves; if you don't like the truth, how about changing your ways?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 11:32AM #9
UwishUwereMe
Lavender said:

In "Debate Christian Theology", I said, "You can't cut and paste Scripture to fit your preconceived notions."

UWUWM says:

Yes you can.  The Modern Holy Bible as we know it is a result of "ancient" cutting and pasting by the early [Catholic] Church to fit preconceived notions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 4:25PM #10
Lavender

Never thought of it that way. OK, you SHOULDN'T cut and paste the already-messed-up Scriptures to suit your own preconceived notions. Is that better, Uwish?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 55  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 55 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook