Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 8:47PM #11
Anesis

Thank you for your last post. That was very interesting and helpful, and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 8:48PM #12
TheWhiteHart

I cannot lay claim to knowledge of tradition, as my native ancestors are very far removed physically. But I will second the book, "God is Red" by Vine Deloria, JR. Having read it, I agree he makes his case very eloquently.

Thank you for that post, umi nokfi. I wondered where you would put it. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2009 - 10:06PM #13
MilesB

"....for example, is it appropriate to participate with a client in smudging, or is that taboo for a white woman? Or is it appropriate for a white mother to do the naming ceremony with her First Nations child?"

Of course you would be welcomed. If you are not welcome, you will be told.

A good piece of advice I as given some time in my teens was; if you want to know something about someone it is best to ask them.

So in your case, ask the client :).

We have never been a cult yah know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 6:59PM #14
Tenlionz

Learning and participating in Native ceremony is one thing, and a good thing. But to lead an NDN ceremony is another thing all together. Naming your Child is a good thing, if you are the parent I believe you have an inherent rite to do so, even if this is an NDN name with all Traditional observance. I was named by my Grand Father and my great uncle, they knew Clan traditions and I feel lucky to have had them around at my naming, but I feel when in a pinch one must do what they feel compelled to do, such as name, but I would seriously consider all Tribal procedure while engaged, you don't want your kid to show up when 40 to pow wow or gathering calling him self "Cabbage patch kid" or something else very contrary to Clan and Tribal ways. No white should lead a sweat, or a vision quest, or create an enviorment of prophetic utterance. But this is simply my opinion supported by many Elders. And the young son asked his father-- how is a name chosen for an NDN? the Father replied well when we crawl from the birth lodge we name the child after the first thing we see. ---why do you ask "two Dogs Screwing? <-- Oldie but goodie.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook