Switch to Forum Live View living Tao in your daily life
5 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 11:19PM #1
Intotheblue

Hi all, I'm new here. I see a lot of the threads here seem to be more about religious Taoism than philsophical Taoism. I am only familiar with the philosophy, and honestly that's all I care to be familiar with. It is Truth, to me.

Some years ago, I became Catholic, and managed to meld the two rather nicely. But over time, I gradually drifted away from Taoism and started forgetting its teachings. When I would glance at the Tao Te Ching, it seemed so foreign to me, like something in my past I'd forgotten. Which I guess it was...

Now, for reasons I'd rather not get into right here and now, I'm being pushed away from the Catholic Church. Even before this, though, I have been missing Taoism in my life. It gives me so much balance and perspective and serenity. Without it, I feel I have been unhealthy. So I am seeking it again, and trying to allow it back into my daily life again.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, is there anything you found that made it easier to bring the Tao back into your day-to-day life? Have you ever felt conflicted between Tao and a different religion of any kind?

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 1:11AM #2
OmegaMeson

Can't say I've experienced exactly the same as you have. However, I used to be Christian until drifting slowly away from it due to it being irreconcilable to the world I actually experienced. I discovered the Tao Te Ching during my transitioning period and it just made sense to me.

I think the best thing you can do is be yourself. Don't overthink it and let yourself be, feel, and think whatever it is you happen to be, feel, or think. Pardon me if I'm off the mark, but when people feel conflicted between two religions, ideologies, views, or whatever you want to call it, it's most often a conflict between a natural state of things and how they think things ought to be - or maybe more personally, between the person you think you're expected to be and the person you really are. I bet you already know what's what. I'm guessing you don't really have to seek the Tao in your daily life. You just have to realise, you're already at the center and stop struggling against it by trying to find it.

Once you can sit alone and say "this is me. I know who I am. I am these parts Catholic and those parts non-Catholic. These parts Taoist, and those parts non-Taoist. And nobody else can tell me who I am." then that's your Tao. Then you just have to remember it. :)

"the master sees things as they are
without trying to control them
she lets them go their own way
and resides at the center of the circle"

Again, I might be way off, so if what I said is out of line or unhelpful just laugh it off.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 4:22PM #3
Intotheblue

Thanks for the response. Yes I know exactly what you mean. I'm not really struggling, sorry if it sounded like I was. Since I wrote that post, I've become more and more at ease with who and where I am, sort of settling into that center. It's just been a long time since I was there, so I'm sort of reacquainting myself with it. Does that make sense? What I was trying to ask in my first post is... You know how sometimes certain things will remind you of your center, or remind you of the Tao, or make it easier for you to be there? And other things tend to hinder that, or distract you from the Way. Maybe you have no clue what I'm talking about, I'm sorry I can't explain it better. But if you understand what I'm getting at, I was just wondering if there are particular things you know of which sorta help you remember the Way when you've been without it for a long time. No biggie though, I'm getting better at it as time goes on. :)

Namaste.

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 6:16PM #4
Desert-girl

The secret is do's it make sence to you ? Here is a website that has helped me understand Taoism hope it helps you     www.yinyangnature.com/index.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 8:54PM #5
Intotheblue

Thank you. I understand Taoism, I just wondered if there were little things that remind anyone of the Way when they've temporarily forgotten it. For example, a saying, or an object, or whatever. Basically some 'cue' to recall your thoughts toward balance, you know? I did look at that site though, and it is interesting, thank you for the link. :)

Namaste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 9:02PM #6
Desert-girl

Ok i understand sorry... Yes there is one thing when i see the ying and yang symbol every time i see that it reminds me to center my self

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook