Switch to Forum Live View About Covenant Breakers...and a few misc. questions
5 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2009 - 4:18PM #1
Kalzera

Are the children of Covenant Breakers considered the same by birth?

And is it possible for people such as those, or any type of covenant breaker, to repent and be welcomed back to the Community?

Also, does anyone know when the Chilean Temple will be completed, or how far along it's come? I've checked virtually every site I've heard of and seen that makes reference to it, but I haven't seen a timeline.

And are there still people translating the massive amount of Writings of Baha'u'llah? Can anyone explain that process to me, or tell me what goes into being a translator is such things are on-going? (i.e., can any trustworthy Baha'i become a translator?)

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 12:53PM #2
aegregory

First of all there are very few people actually disignated as Covenant Breakers.. They are rare indeed. The older Covenant Breakers were in families so the response to them was to regard their children as along them.. Now Baha'is are not to mistreat them or interfere with them in any way but to simply leave them alone..

And is it possible for people such as those, or any type of covenant breaker, to repent and be welcomed back to the Community?

My reply:

Yes indeed there are examples of this occurring but they need to apply to the Universal House of Justice for reinstatement is my understanding.

Also, does anyone know when the Chilean Temple will be completed, or how far along it's come? I've checked virtually every site I've heard of and seen that makes reference to it, but I haven't seen a timeline.

My reply:

There have been fund raising efforts and budgets for this.. I don't have available details. A friend of mine is in Wilmette in the treasurer's office working on raising contributions for the Temple.  When there will be a dedication it will be widely known and people from all over the world will attend it.  I've heard estimates of within three years.

And are there still people translating the massive amount of Writings of Baha'u'llah? Can anyone explain that process to me, or tell me what goes into being a translator is such things are on-going? (i.e., can any trustworthy Baha'i become a translator?)

My reply:

Well recently there were three books revealed by Baha'u'llah that were translated into English

The Summons of the Lord of HOsts,

Gems of Divine Mysteries

Tabernacle of Divine Unity

The standards of translation are very high and after the manner of Shoghi Effendi's works.

Authentication is also essential..

To me Adib Teherzadeh was the example of scholarship..  there has to be rigorous and inspired effort.

National Spiritual Assembly Authorizes Translations Through a Committee of Bahá'í Translators--The Guardian's Method of Transliteration Should Be Used

367 "The National Spiritual Assembly which undertakes the translation, usually through a committee of Bahá'í translators, is the body which 'authorizes' the translation, if it is approved. In some instances, if there are no Bahá'í translators available, there is no objection, in principle, to employing non-Bahá'ís for this purpose. It is usual for the National Spiritual Assembly to appoint a Reviewing Committee, or establish some means of providing review of the completed translation. You will note from the enclosed memorandum that, with the exceptions enumerated therein, new translations of the Sacred Text into languages other than English must be made from the Guardian's English translation where it exists; and when no such translation exists, advice should be sought from the Universal House of Justice.

From Lights of Guidance

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 3:19PM #3
Kalzera

Thank you Aegregory!

Now see, so many anti-Baha'is on the internet try to make it seem like Baha'is are all "cult-like" and backwards "excommunicating people" and all. Clearly that's now how it really is!

Laughing

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 3:52PM #4
Ruhi19

Nov 21, 2009 -- 4:18PM, Kalzera wrote:

My only quibble about the answer provided about children of Covenant Breakers would depend upon the age of the child.  One who is under age 15 would not be a declared Baha'i in his own right.  However, one who has declared (i.e., 15 or older) would still be considered a Baha'i unless he or she also rejected Baha'u'llah or the people or institutions appointed as successors on their own. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2009 - 3:47AM #5
in_my_opinion

"And is it possible for people such as those, or any type of covenant breaker, to repent and be welcomed back to the Community?"

Yes. If a covenant breaker is found by the Universal House of Justice to be sincere in repentance they will forgive the soul and the community will then welcome. But only they can designate a person so and only they can judge and accept the sincerity of the repentance.

Even the worst and most heinous will be forgiven; if, sincerely repentant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2009 - 11:33PM #6
in_my_opinion

In order to become a Covenant breaker, the person had to first be a declared believer. A child may be thought a "Bahá'í Child" but probably can't be considered a "declared" believer.

The age of spiritual maturity is 15 years and spiritual responsibility begins then. Each soul has its own merits and faults. An adult descendant of such a soul is independent and carries no other burden than his/her own choices produce.

Logically, should we debit a soul personally for that; we would also have to credit a soul for the merits of its parents. Would the fact that much of the family of the Master broke the Covenant, be cancelled because of their holy kinship? Of course not!

God is Just. It's just often hard to figure it out by our lights. On the other hand, God's Mercy can be even more mysterious!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook