Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is new thought (and Unity Church) really Christianity?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2009 - 8:04PM #1
Galenna

Hello everyone,

As someone who was raised Roman Catholic, I have had "Jesus is the savior of the world" shoved down my throat over and over again. And along with that goes the saying that you can only be a Christian if you accept Jesus as your savior. 

I think there is a lot that still can be learned from the teachings of great prophets and teachers like Jesus.  However, I disagree with the thought that he is a savior.  I think New Thought has possible things to teach, however I am confused as to how it can be considered Christianity if they don't preach Jesus as savior of the world. 

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2009 - 8:34PM #2
Myownpath

"However, I disagree with the thought that he is a savior."

If that is what you are clear about, what is holding you back from further investigation? Your Catholic family, their perception, your upbringing... I would suggest reading Gift of the Red Bird by Paula D'Arcy. It's a fast, beautiful read. She is also Catholic.

I once knew a nun that read Buddhism and Marianne Williamson. I know Catholics that dabble in the metaphysical and some read a Course in Miracles.  Many Catholics are now open to a metaphysical path, labyrinths Buddahism. Look into this, there are Catholic workshops around depending on where you live - perhaps it will be a good bridge for you.

Unity is a good church. Just remember to keep an open mind but not too open too soon. Take it slowly think it over, ask questions from someone who is wise and together that gives freely with no expectations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 4:08PM #3
Amaia

I think Galenna is asking more of a doctrine issue.  The accepted definition of a Christian is "one who accepts Jesus Christ as a savior".  In the emerging beliefs of a "new thought Christian" Jesus may or may not be accepted as a personal savior.  So, (asking respectfully) how can New Thought beliefs (and Unity Church) fall under the umbrella of Christianity?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 8:55PM #4
sixth step phobia

Untill recently the "saviour" concept was the best way to liberation and a spiritual awakening

Yet there are other ways now

Jesus was "Christ" and in his christ consciousness he said

Split a piece of wood and i am there

You too have that consciousness keep removing the layers and it is there

I am a member of AA and know alot of recovering catholics who now have come full circle and firmly know at a deep level god, christ and the holy spirit

Spiritual awakening is awakening from the dream of thought
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 3:59AM #5
MarkStephen

'Jesus is the Savior' implies that there must be someting to be saved from.  Hell? The fallen nature of mankind as a result of 'original sin"?  These are concepts that are common to the mainstream of Christianity, but not necessarily shared by the Unity movement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 7:56PM #6
soma77

Christian Mysticism explains how our actions and thoughts within and without resolve themselves in the simplicity of the whole experience, when we focus on our simple unity in God's pure consciousness and have become acquainted with God's unity. God is outside and within ourselves in His pure consciousness, which can be witnessed inside, when we know that reality is more than what is observed outside with the senses. Letting go of what is little, Christian Mysticism enters into a larger concept of life where there is nothing to fear because we realize that conflict is the result of seeing only in part, not the whole picture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 8:41AM #7
Amaia

I have heard the term Christian Mysticism before, but have never applied it to mainstream Christianity - perhaps I have a little more anger about Christianity "being shoved down my throat" than I thought and I have missed something?

Could anyone recommend a book on Christian Mysticism that explains the basics of the concept?  Going back to the original question posed by Galenna (by the way, Galenna forgot her password to the site - LOL - but, she is still reading this post with great interest) it seems like Christian Mysticism could easily fit into the concept of new thought, and maybe even into other branches of Christianity.  I'm still having an issue with the "you must believe Jesus is your savior to be a Christian", but there REALLY IS NO PLACE in the bible that it truly says that, is there? 

I'm starting to see what a previous poster said - that a lot of people circle around and find a deeper meaning in their relationship with God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 6:50PM #8
Bob_Bennett

Nov 15, 2009 -- 8:04PM, Galenna wrote:

Hello everyone,

As someone who was raised Roman Catholic, I have had "Jesus is the savior of the world" shoved down my throat over and over again. And along with that goes the saying that you can only be a Christian if you accept Jesus as your savior. 

I think there is a lot that still can be learned from the teachings of great prophets and teachers like Jesus.  However, I disagree with the thought that he is a savior.  I think New Thought has possible things to teach, however I am confused as to how it can be considered Christianity if they don't preach Jesus as savior of the world. 

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

As a former R. Catholic, I know where you're coming from.    I broke with them about 40 years ago.  Yet, the idea of Jesus as saviour of the world is fine with me.   He was sent by the Holy Spirit to be exactly that - a world teacher (Christ Avatar) who's new teachings were designed to save the world from ourselves.  And he's still doing it, with A Course In Miracles.

I also spent many years in Unity and consider them to be  the finest of what else is out there.  As a netaphysical movement, that are not like the rest of organized religion, and they are certainly not doctineairre.

The true test should not be a comparison to Christianity as it has been in error  for the last 1700 years.  The true test is whether it helps you (the most) in traveling your spiritual path and journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2009 - 3:46PM #9
Amaia

that is a good point - the test *should* be my own.  Thinking out loud here - perhaps I am looking at things from a black/white perspective.   I'm trying to figure out why it fits and is called Christianity within the perspective of the of the "accept-Jesus-or-you-will-go-to-hell" dogma.

But Christianity doesn't *have* to be that black and white, does it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 8:13PM #10
soma77

The book "Evolution of Consciousness" by John Kuykendall uses Christian terms, but it corresponds to New Thought. The parables in the Bible were written so Christians at different levels of consciousness will get different meaning depending on their spiritual developement. The site for the book is thinkunity.com

Good luck on your journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook