Switch to Forum Live View How can I resist temptation?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2009 - 12:52PM #1
a disciple
I need help resisting temptation, I find myself in a moment of weakness giving in to the things that cause me suffering. please give some tips to make me stronger in this area. Thank you
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 8:36AM #2
happy_hotei

Hi Disciple.  Resisting temptation has always been difficult, since the beginning of time.  It is the very craving that is one of the causes of dukkha and will plague us until we learn its true nature.  I have found that, to quote somebody, resistance is futile, and just increases the power of desire.  Instead, try observing your feelings through meditation, particularly the source of the desire.  When you resist you acknowledge that the craving is strong and you also diminish your own strength to overcome it.  However, if you accept the feeling as a part of your existence and apply the Buddha's teaching to it you will find things much easier to deal with.  In time you may develop the equanimity to observe the temptation and let it go without a struggle.  That is the goal.  In the meantime, do the best you can and try to learn from each experience.  I hope this helps, and if not, please disregard.

Blessings to all,

hh

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 1:33PM #3
Sadmonk

A comforting thought...."it will pass quickly"Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2011 - 3:02PM #4
peterjohn

I say don't resist it, just understand it completely.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook