Switch to Forum Live View How does the church of unity defer from the church of religious science?
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 10:43PM #1
Abclovely

What is the difference between these 2? How does each view Jesus? and how does New Thought view the Virgin Mary?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 7:02PM #2
Myownpath

I'm not completely familiar with Religious Science, but the way the two churches view Jesus and Mary are probably similar. In Unity, Jesus is a brother and way shower. He was a "master" teacher who represents our potential. We each have an indwelling "Christ" nature (or Buddah nature. ) It is our responsibility to heal ourselves and be a light onto the world. As for Mary, not much is said at all, though there are variations that have metaphysical interpretations. One being that she is the divine feminine.

The differences I have found in Unity and Religious Science --not too many. Religious Science has many "laws" law of abundance, law of attraction, etc. Unity seems to have borrowed many of these, but it is not stressed.

Religious Science seems (maybe it is just Louise Hay) to have metaphysical reasons for illnesses. Some people in Unity have (unfortunately) borrowed some of this from RS, but in general Unity does believe that your mind can create illnesses.

RS has the book Science of Mind while Unity, I have found depending on where the church is located (deep south, North...), uses the Course of Miracles, the bible or various other teachings. I'm sure RS may use various teachings as well

RS is more common out West while Unity is more prevalent in the Midwest, but this is changing in recent years. Not an expert at RS, so maybe someone else here can help with this info.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2009 - 7:00PM #3
rman

The Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes is the textbook of Religious Science. The writings of Charles and Myrtle Filmore as well as Lessons in Truth by emilie cadey are basic to Unity. Unity would place more emphasis on Jesus the Christ than would Religious Science, although the views regarding Jesus are pretty much alike.

A Course in Miracles is not affiliated with either group. Both groups' churches have classes that study A Course in Miracles, although its theology and view of the material world would be different than that of Religious Science or Unity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2009 - 12:06PM #4
rideronthastorm

I thought about visitng Religious Science but its way further out from me then Unity. For some reason i dont know where this comnes from but for some reason i have an image of RS in my mind being stricter and more fanatical then Unity, but I guess Im wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook