5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 11:27PM #1
Sephiroth666

Hey everyone, I know where i stand in beliefs, but in rituals and magic I'm not too experienced, a little bit, in somethings at some instances  am great, however, I'm not that familiar, can anyone show me around as a guide?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2009 - 10:26AM #2
CreakyHedgewitch

Sorry, me again. On my daily rounds.

Rituals evolve out of one's beliefs. Magic, if being used within those rituals will be specific to those beliefs and the framework involved.

Otherwise magic can refer to many different systems, practices and beliefs, around the world, down through history and today. Correpondences, what is ok and what isn't, why one does magic, what is entailed...all this varies and it is a huge subject. I just nipped over and took a look (it has been a while) on Wikipedia for magic. While I may quibble with some points of the article, it covers off a lot. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(paranormal)

Ironically given the calibre of her other writings/claims, a fairly decent summation/overview of generic magical practices within the West can be found in Silver Ravenwolf's Solitary Witch. I have books on historical magic as well, let me know if you want any recommendations.

You will find online or in books various lists of rules or guidelines for using magic/k. Most that I have seen are clearly meant to be used within generic Pagan Witchcraft with all its limitations. As a Vocational Witch, magic and spellcraft is probably the least useful tool within our Craft and the last ever used but a V-Witch is still expected to know at least one system labelled magic/k and to keep in practice.

So here are some (hopefully useful) guidelines as you set off to explore this huge subject.

Protection first. Practice second.

99.9% of the time, there is a better, faster or easier way to do what magic/k may accomplish

Magic/k always has a price. Figure out what that is and if you want to pay it...before rather than after!

Intent and purpose for using magic/k always reveal the user's vulnerabilities.

The most effective spells are always those cast within.

Always know (beforehand) how to get out of wherever you are heading.

Treat herbs with the greatest of respect and caution. They can harm or worse if improperly used.

Human beings are flammable. So are many objects. Never get careless with fire/candles.

Now this is probably not what you were after with this thread. If anyone does come along and offers to teach you over the Net to do magic/k, be very wary. The inexperienced or irresponsible (or both) may want to flaunt their knowledge to strangers. Experienced practititoners using any form of magic/k won't post that kind of knowledge online for anyone to see and misuse.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2009 - 6:01PM #3
ManzanitaBear

Sep 12, 2009 -- 5:28PM, Hexpainter wrote:

Now as an aside...

Magic is like using a Bazooka to swat a fly.

There is nothing in Life that requires that much energy to do.  Healing and Creation could be considered the only 2 exceptions. IMO.

May be taking this thread off track, but....

Might a spell to make things better be considered healing in this sense, even if it's not directly healing an illness?  Suppose you're having financial problems with no clear way out.  Would a spell to correct that and increase your money be a form of healing?  Or suppose you want to call in something: romantic love, a better job, conception or adoption of a child.  If you gave your efforts a boost with magic, would that meet those exceptions?

What about the Gardnerians who cast a spell to keep Hitler from invading Britain (anyone familiar with that story)?  Would they have met those criteria?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 12:41AM #4
ManzanitaBear

Sep 12, 2009 -- 6:42PM, Hexpainter wrote:

Sep 12, 2009 -- 6:01PM, ManzanitaBear wrote:

Might a spell to make things better be considered healing in this sense, even if it's not directly healing an illness?  Suppose you're having financial problems with no clear way out.  Would a spell to correct that and increase your money be a form of healing?  Or suppose you want to call in something: romantic love, a better job, conception or adoption of a child.  If you gave your efforts a boost with magic, would that meet those exceptions?

For Money?  Siting on your laurals after casting a Spell for Wealth is not magic but Laziness.

I'm not suggesting casting a spell and then doing nothing.  I'm suggesting casting a spell to help things along, while still making reasonable efforts.  And not a spell for getting rich, but a spell for helping when things may seem helpless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 7:35PM #5
CreakyHedgewitch

Hex,

For generic modern Pagan Witchcraft types of 'magic', I still say that SRW's Solitary Witch is a decent generic primer as well as conveniently in one volume. (please buy second-hand if possible).

For other definitions of magic, I would however agree with looking elsewhere for the basics.

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 7:39PM #6
CreakyHedgewitch

ManzitaBear,

When such questions get asked on these boards, there is a tendency to layer them with the legacy of past questions asked here as well as literal reading of just what someone has posted. I.e.: the assumption that if one asks about casting a spell and doesn't add, 'I know I have to do the work etc.' afterwards that one is looking for a quick fix with no work involved. So as you have clarified what you were asking (thank you very much), let me respond in kind.

Hex laid out two of the most important basic ground rules for magical workings, first see if you can resolve the issue mundanely and be careful what you ask for because everything has consequences. Here is another one. A spell only provides the opportunities, the caster still has to make the decisions, take the risks and do the work.

Any spell to achieve something positive I would consider healing. Yet what is positive or healing for or to you might not be positive or healing for anyone else affected. As Hex pointed out, the money has to come from somewhere else in order to come to you. Now one can become paralysed by the thought of trying not to affect someone else by the choices one makes. A rendition of the watering down of the Rede into never harming anyone else. Yet affecting everyone else every day is part of life. It is a given. If you get a new job, that means other people who applied didn't get it. For everyone who has money come into their life, that same money left other peoples' lives.

Yet what about a spell inward to ask for strength or focus or any of the mental, emotional, physical or spiritual tools that one needs to shift into a more positive direction? To combat helplessness? One of the quotes I find illuminating about helplessness comes from Babylon 5 where G'Kar in the ending of Season 3 says, "Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always paved in pain."

Awareness therefore is a powerful inward spell because then one can become aware not only of how one got into the situation, the pavement of pain as it were but also those paths on how to get out, those moments of revelation. So too any opportunities, the moments of transition, that suddenly seem to come along because of that change in awareness. Energy is neutral but use intent to shift it into a positive setting and it is always amazing to me how the universe (or however you want to conceive of the latter) engages in synchronic events that could aid your intent.

Here is another thought. Perhaps more money or money at all isn't the solution to the problem at hand. What if the solution is to see what you already have and be able to achieve what you truly need from this? What if scarcity actually is a tool to separate need from want or desire? Awareness and a positive direction coupled with the work, decision making and sacrifices required might be all that is required.

As for romantic love, I would still go with an inward spell that basically says to the universe, 'I'm worthy of being loved and deserve to be loved in the best way. I will be open to love. I will be aware of opportunities that come my way' coupled with getting off the couch and going out to meet people. Same with a better job. Envision what you would like to do or what that better job would entail. Do a reality check on the latter. Check your mundane credentials, would you need more education, more experience, need to live somewhere else? What would you sacrifice or give up to achieve that job? To excel at it? An inward spell to be more aware of opportunities to pursue that dream job or a better job again can certainly help. First one needs to be going out and getting what is needed to achieve that goal coupled with resumes and networking etc. Same with conception or adopting a child, any such intents. In other words, it isn't your efforts that are boosted with magic, it is you.

I have never seen that 'the cone of power ritual to curse Hitler and keep him from invading Britain story' validated outside of mythological history. Perhaps a group of British witches did do such a spell at that time. My question to them would be, what was/is the price tag? What would be/are the consequences to Britain or to others if you succeed? Same ground rules apply. First try to resolve mundanely (what else were they doing for the war effort?) Be careful what you ask for because everything has consequences. What opportunities were actually being sought that then those witches would still have to make decisions on, take the risks for and do what work?

Hope something in that is helpful,

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 9:49PM #7
ManzanitaBear

Yes, that's all very insightful!

I'd always interpreted the cone of power story in the "be careful what you wish for" context this way: if the spell worked, then it kept Hitler out of Britain.  But they didn't say the Germans couldn't fly over and bomb it, and they did that.  And perhaps the invasion that would have gone to Britain went somewhere else.  Might one result have been, say, a decision on the part of the Germans to put more effort into invading Russia instead?  They may have defended Britain at the expense of someone else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2010 - 6:05PM #8
Sephirothandvegeta666

I believe magic comes from within. I used to be Christian, a seventh day adventist by the name of Chris 07. I am now pagan and love it. The chi center is located in the stomach.  A dark angel taught me this. I also worship the devil and devils and demons. I believe I am one of them. My grandparents taught me this, as they are demons. They showed me impossible by human tricks and magic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 6:43PM #9
David

Sep 12, 2009 -- 6:01PM, ManzanitaBear wrote:

Sep 12, 2009 -- 5:28PM, Hexpainter wrote:

Now as an aside...

Magic is like using a Bazooka to swat a fly.

There is nothing in Life that requires that much energy to do.  Healing and Creation could be considered the only 2 exceptions. IMO.

What about the Gardnerians who cast a spell to keep Hitler from invading Britain (anyone familiar with that story)?  Would they have met those criteria?

I believe that magic comes from within. It comes from the chi center located i the stomach. I also believe that magic too comes from the earth, elements, the sun, the moon, ad the stars. I also believe in Satan and I believe magic comes from the demons and devils. And Gods and Goddesses as well. I believe in the devil, But I too worship the Gods as well. I'm also Pagan. That is my second religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook