Page 2 of 27  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Next
5 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2009 - 9:05PM #11
world citizen

turngaaluk09 ~

Please forgive my oversight of your recent post.  It certainly wasn't intentional.

Your comments seem to be in response to the first post and your example of societal education was a good one.  I've often thought that society's attitudes today toward equality of the sexes and of the races are two that are also due to the influences of spiritual forces.

To all:

Each Sunday I try to introduce a new quote with another subject for possible discussion, allowing a full week for each subject.  It would be helpful if/when subjects might overlap that either the actual quotation be copy/pasted into the post or, if continuing a dialog, (using the link) "quote" the post being responded to.  Thanks!  WC

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2009 - 12:52PM #12
maxmar

Oct 2, 2009 -- 8:28PM, world citizen wrote:

maxmar ~

Thanks for locating those quotes for us.  For some reason I was thinking of something said or written by 'Abdu'l-Baha because I vaguely remember it as being more to the point (which, as you know, was his way of speaking).  Regardless, what you've discovered is perfect! 

You're welcome, WC.    Must be having a good day again, as I found the quote I think you were referring to.  

"Recite ye the verses of God every morning and evening.    Whoso reciteth them not hath truly failed to fulfil his pledge to the Covenant of God and His Testament, and whoso in this day turneth away therefrom hath indeed turned away from God since time immemorial.   Fear ye God, O concourse of My servants!

Take heed lest excessive reading and too many acts of piety in the daytime and in the night season make you vainglorious.    Should a person recite but a single verse from the Holy Writings in a spirit of joy and radiance, this would be better for him than reciting wearily all the Scriptures of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.    Recite ye the verses of God in such measure that ye be not overtaken with fatigue or boredom.    Burden not your souls so as to cause exhaustion and weigh them down, but rather endeavour to lighten them, that they may soar on the wings of revealed Verses unto the dawning-place of His signs.    This is conducive to nearer access unto God, were ye to comprehend." ~ Baha'u'llah 

(The Compilation of Compilations, Vol. II, p. 223

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2009 - 3:07PM #13
world citizen

That was it!!  Laughing  So glad to know I wasn't having a 'senior moment' at this end.  You must be part bloodhound...  Thanks again for coming through for us.  Seefan, are you still hovering around this board?

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2009 - 3:23PM #14
Seefan

Winkof course ... always ... lol

looking forward to another quote ...

Smile

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 5:13PM #15
world citizen

After recognition of the Manifestation, the believer will be tested by God in many ways. Each time he passes a test, he will acquire greater spiritual insight and will grow stronger in faith. The closer he gets to the person of the Manifestation the more difficult become his tests.  It is then that any trace of ambition or ego may imperil his spiritual life.

There is a tradition in Islam which sets forth the difficulties and perils encountered by man on his journey to God. It describes how all men will perish and die except the believers; all the believers will perish and die except those who are tested; all who are tested will perish and die except those who are sincere, and those who are sincere will be in great danger.
[Adib Taherzadeh: "The Revelation of Baha'u'llah, vol.1," p. 129]

The bolded sentence is to bring attention to this aspect of the quote.  How could this be viewed in light of the plight of the Iranian Baha'is?  Would "trace of ambition or ego" imperiling one's "spiritual life" possibly refer to denial of the Cause of Baha'u'llah if a life is threatened?  Any thoughts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2009 - 9:43AM #16
Seefan

Oct 4, 2009 -- 5:13PM, world citizen wrote:

After recognition of the Manifestation, the believer will be tested by God in many ways. Each time he passes a test, he will acquire greater spiritual insight and will grow stronger in faith. The closer he gets to the person of the Manifestation the more difficult become his tests. It is then that any trace of ambition or ego may imperil his spiritual life.

There is a tradition in Islam which sets forth the difficulties and perils encountered by man on his journey to God. It describes how all men will perish and die except the believers; all the believers will perish and die except those who are tested; all who are tested will perish and die except those who are sincere, and those who are sincere will be in great danger.
[Adib Taherzadeh: "The Revelation of Baha'u'llah, vol.1," p. 129]

The bolded sentence is to bring attention to this aspect of the quote. How could this be viewed in light of the plight of the Iranian Baha'is? Would "trace of ambition or ego" imperiling one's "spiritual life" possibly refer to denial of the Cause of Baha'u'llah if a life is threatened? Any thoughts?

UndecidedI guess to try and answer your question WC!  I need to ask myself, what would Baha'u'llah or Abdu'l-Baha do in the case of their life being threatened? They say to offer your very lives for the cause. I don't think that only means to given up you life but to give it up if necessarily in defense of the Cause using the principles of the Faith.

Like anywhere in the world, the Iranian Baha'i community consists of believers at all levels of spiritual growth and they will respond to their and the Faith's present dangers according to their spiritual condition. The test they are under will certainly continue to refine their spirits and commitment as they learn to deal with their present dangers. However, the ego and ambition that impedes one's spiritual growth may or may not apply to the Baha'is but to the Iranians at large, and to those in power in particular, and will either clear a path or make even more peril their future course, depending upon how they deal with the Baha'i situation.  I hope I'm not being insensitive for I'm not trying to be.  I just hope a positive solution is found soon ...

Test and difficulties are interesting! How do we know if a test is from God or from our egotistical and undeveloped nature, or is there a difference? It seems that God develops spiritual and physical laws for our protection and learning. If we break any of them there is a consequence. I suspect this is where the main thrust of the test and difficulties come from.

"Know verily that the purpose underlying all these symbolic terms and abstruse allusions, which emanate from the Revealers of God's holy Cause, hath been to test and prove the peoples of the world; that thereby the earth of the pure and illuminated hearts may be known from the perishable and barren soil." (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 49)

"The closer he gets to the person of the Manifestation the more difficult become his tests." seems to point to the closer we get to the source of spirituality the more refined our character must be, of necessity. Hate and love cannot exist at the same time. One is spiritual and one is the oppisite!  In order to exist deeper within a spiritual dimension, it seems that we need to be more spiritual, so a refining process must begin/continue or we cannot approach. The "perishable and barren soil" maybe the undeveloped self, the ego ...

Smile

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2009 - 11:20AM #17
world citizen

Seefan ~

First you have my apology for not responding before this.  Although "subscribed" to this thread, I received no email from Bnet advising that there was further activity.  I'll be running out the door shortly to deliver Meals-on-Wheels, so this will have to be short.

You mentioned Iran, as did I in my previous post.  When we consider where the Persian Empire was only two centuries ago and see now the depths to which it has descended since the Proclamation of Baha'u'llah and its persecution of the Holy Family and continuing persecution today of all Baha'is, I do think it should give pause and reflection as to what has happened to all the great powers of yesteryear since Baha'u'llah wrote His famous epistles to them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2009 - 2:25PM #18
world citizen

The operation of miracles is not necessarily irrational or illogical. It does by no means constitute a limitation of the Omnipotence of God. The belief in the possibilities of miracles, on the contrary, implies that God's power is beyond any limitation whatsoever. For it is only logical to believe that the Creator, Who is the sole Author of all the laws operating in the universe, is above them and can, therefore, if He deems it necessary, alter them at His Own Will. We, as humans, cannot possibly attempt to read His Mind, and to fully grasp His Wisdom.  Mystery is therefore an inseparable part of true religion, and as such, should be recognized by the believers.

~ Shoghi Effendi (to an individual believer, October 1, 1935:
Canadian Bahá'í News, February 1968, p. 11), "Lights of Guidance," p. 490

When my daughter was 17 she was admitted to the hospital with spinal meningitis.  Word was sent to her school where message of the Homecoming Queen's illness spread like wildfire.  Within 24 hours we were told it had advanced into her brain stem and developed also into encephylitis.  We were told to prepare ourselves for the "inevitable" because there was nothing further that could be done for her.  Again we sent word to her school as well as to her Baha'i youth friends/families.

Long story short...  Two days later this precious child awoke at the hospital w/o knowledge of even how she got there.  She had absolutely no symptoms except for blurred vision.  The doctors who were so sure of her impending death could only shake their heads.  I later learned that prayers for her throughout the ordeal were being said in Catholic and Protestant churches, in synagogues, at Baha'i Assemblies and even on Mt. Carmel in Haifa.  I DO believe in modern miracles!  Pamela (PJ) and her husband Dash, together with their children, are now Baha'i pioneers in South Africa.

Does anyone else have a modern miracle that they'd like to share?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2009 - 11:29AM #19
world citizen

One who does not know God's Messengers, however, is like a plant growing in the shade. Although it knows not the sun, it is, nevertheless, absolutely dependent on it. The great Prophets are spirit suns, and Bahá'u'lláh is the sun of this "day" in which we live. The suns of former days have warmed and vivified the world, and had those suns not shone, the earth would now be cold and dead, but it is the sunshine of today that alone can ripen the fruits which the suns of former days have kissed into life.

~ Dr. J.E. Esslemont, "Baha'u'llah and the New Era," p. 72

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2009 - 12:41PM #20
world citizen

The emancipation of women, the achievement of full equality between the sexes, is one of the most important, though less acknowledged pre-requisites of peace. The denial of such equality perpetrates an injustice against one half of the world's population and promotes in men harmful attitudes and habits that are carried from the family to the workplace, to political life, and ultimately to international relations. There are no grounds, moral, practical, or biological, upon which such denial can be justified. Only as women are welcomed into full partnership in all fields of human endeavour will the moral and psychological climate be created in which international peace can emerge.

[The Universal House of Justice, October 1985]

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 27  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook