Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do We Plan Our Lives Before We're Born?
5 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2009 - 10:45PM #1
Robert Schwartz

May 7, 2003.  I remember that day well, because it was the day on which my life changed, the day that launched me on the path to writing the book Your Soul's Plan: Discovering the Real Meaning of the Life You Planned Before You Were Born.

I was 40 at the time, working as a self-employed marketing and communications consultant and feeling profoundly unfulfilled with my life.  I often had the feeling that if I were to fall off the face of the Earth, none of my clients would notice.  They would simply plug someone else into my role and continue along.

Yet, at the same time I had a feeling that there was a higher purpose to my life.  I just didn't know what it was.  And so, in my search for that higher calling, I did something on that fateful day in 2003 that I had never done before: I had a session with a psychic medium.

The medium introduced me to the concept of spirit guides - highly evolved, nonphysical beings with whom we plan our lives before birth and who then guide us through our lives after we incarnate.  Through the medium, I was able to speak with my guides.  They told me that I myself had planned many of my greatest challenges in life - and that I had done so before I was born.

I might have dismissed this as some sort of elaborate fantasy, except that my guides knew literally everything about me.  They knew not only what I had done in life, but also what I had thought and felt.  Private thoughts and feelings that I had never shared with anyone.

For example, five years earlier I had been going through a very difficult time in my personal life.  One day, alone in the privacy of my home, and silently in my mind, I said a prayer to God.  I said, "God, I can't get through this alone.  Please send help."  I had completely forgotten about this prayer, but my guides knew about it, and they reminded me of it.  They added, "Your prayer was answered," by which they meant that additional nonphysical guidance had been sent.  I was astounded.

As you can imagine, when certain beings know literally everything about you, they have a great deal of credibility.

So I was listening in rapt attention when they went on to tell me why I had planned some of my greatest challenges.  In the days and weeks after the session with the medium, this information was constantly on my mind.  It allowed me to review the course of my life and, for the first time in many instances, see a deeper purpose to the seemingly bad things that had happened.  For me, this was deeply healing.

I realized I was on to a concept that could bring similar healing to other people.  I started to think about writing a book about it.

At the same time, I began to have metaphysical experiences of my own.  I would like to tell you about one in particular that profoundly informed my research and forever altered the way I look at the world.

One day, I was working in my home office and decided to take a break and go for a walk.  As I was meandering down the sidewalk, I was suddenly overcome by a feeling of overwhelming unconditional love for every person I saw.

I remember this experience with crystal clarity.  The first person I was a cab driver sitting behind the wheel of his cab, waiting for a fare to come along.  I looked at this man - a complete stranger to me - and felt nothing but pure, unconditional love for him.  Then I noticed a barbershop on the corner.  I looked through the window and saw a barber cutting someone's hair.  Again, I felt overwhelming love for these people who I did not know and had never seen before.  Then I noticed a young mother pushing an infant in a stroller down the sidewalk.  Once more I felt the same unconditional love for these people.  Everywhere I looked, every time I saw a person, I felt tremendous love flowing over me and through me.

Though I had never heard or read of an experience like this, I knew immediately and intuitively what was happening: I was in enhanced communion with my own soul.  It was as though my soul were saying to me, "This love is who you really are.  This is your true nature."

I believe that my soul gifted me with this experience because when I went on to research and write Your Soul's Plan, every pre-birth blueprint I examined was based on unconditional love.  This was true even when the souls were scripting a "negative" role for someone to play.

Had I not had that experience of myself as unconditional love, I would have found exactly the same results in my research.  But I think there would always have been a little voice at the back of my head saying, "How do you know any of this is true?"  Well, I know it's true because I experienced it myself.  And so I can state to you with absolute confidence and certainty that I believe that we as souls are made quite literally from the energy of unconditional love.

In order to research people's pre-birth plans, I collaborated with four very gifted mediums and channels, including one who is able to hear the conversations people had before they were born with their future parents, children, spouses, friends, and other loved ones.  I put these conversations verbatim into the book.  The people I interviewed had planned such challenges as physical illness, having handicapped children, deafness, blindness, drug addiction, alcoholism, losing a loved one, and severe accidents.

Why do we plan before birth to experience challenges?  I found four primary reasons. 

First, challenges allow us to balance karma from past lives.  Karma is sometimes conceptualized as "cosmic debt," but I think of it more as unbalanced energy.  Let's say, for example, that in a past life one person was physically ill and another person was the caretaker.  When these two people transition back into spirit and have their life review, they will have a sense of unbalanced energy.  One way to create balance would be to switch roles.  The one who was ill now plans to be the caretaker, while the one who was the caretaker now plans to experience illness.  What makes these life blueprints so challenging is that once in body, neither soul will remember the pre-birth plan.

Second, we plan challenges in order to heal.  For example, Penelope, the deaf woman in my book's chapter on deafness and blindness, planned to be born completely deaf because in a past life she had heard the gunshots that killed her mother.  She was a small child when the murder occurred.  She was traumatized by her mother's death and went on to commit suicide later in that incarnation.  In this lifetime, she sought to focus on self-healing and wanted to make sure that her healing would not be hindered by a similar trauma.  In her pre-birth planning session, her spirit guide asks, "My dear . . . would you prefer to be born deaf so that no sound will ever remind you of those sounds again?"  Penelope replies, "Yes, that is what I want and what I wish to do."

Third, we plan challenges to be of service to others.  In the chapter on physical illness, I write about Jon, a homosexual man who planned to have AIDS so that he could teach tolerance to humanity.  In his pre-birth planning session, we heard Jon conferring with the soul of the future loves who would - at his request - transmit the virus to him.  The future lover says, "There is an issue larger than all of the personal benefit of contracting this illness.  We can teach our elders, honor them, and provide them with a valuable opportunity to experience, learn, and grow."  Jon, therefore, is not someone to be judged or scorned, but rather someone we may thank for having the raw courage to plan such a bold mission in service to others.

Lastly, life challenges allow us to know ourselves as love.  By this I mean not simply that we are loving, although certainly that is true, but that we are quite literally made of the energy of love.  In our nonphysical Home, we experience no contrast to ourselves and therefore cannot fully understand our nature as love.  On Earth, in a realm of duality and stark contrast, we often encounter a lack of love.  As we choose in the face of such experiences to give and receive love freely and unconditionally, we remember who we really are.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 03, 2011 - 12:23PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2009 - 1:08PM #2
EyesoftheWorld

Frankly, I didn't read that post as it's so long and seems to be plug for a book.

Anyway, the subject/title of the thread reeled me in as it reminds me of determinism, and/or the idea that 'God' has planned out everything that has happened is happening and will happen, for example the Christian notion that Jesus' crucifixion was planned before Eve ever ate the apple.

I find the philosophical notion of determinism is far more compelling - the classic example being you're at a cafeteria and have to choose between chocolate cake and an orange; you seem to have free will, but your preferences and temporal reality very well may have "determined" how you will choose. And even if you're conscious about the issue and decide to go with the opposite of your initial choice, that reversal may well itself be determined.

In the religious sense though, the notion that everything has been planned by God is absurd. There would be no room for "sin", as people would only be playing the part written for them.

I realize the OP's talking about us planning our lives, which seems really odd... I mean, who plans to die in a car accident or live in a vegetative state for years? it happens though

Nietzsche's notion of eternal recurrance is fascinating, as it links determinism with the astronomical/physical theory of the big bang leading to gravity's slowing and eventual stopping of matter's expansion through the universe and pulling back into another big bang so we could be in a cycle of which we're not aware and this could be the 2nd or 1,000,001th time I've typed this and you've read it.

See you next time!

What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2009 - 4:52PM #3
Bob_Bennett

In the Book, "The Disappearance of the Universe", the ascended masters tell us that all lives are predetermined, but they leave out who is doing the predetermining.

In another section, they tell us that all physical events were planner/determined at the instant of the 'big bang'.    So, it may be the case that the plan is handed to us just before each reincarnation, or then again, it may be the case that we choose from what's available.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 03, 2011 - 12:24PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2009 - 1:50PM #4
EyesoftheWorld

From a certain point of view, assuming the 'big bang', an inevitability can at least be read onto all that's happened since in the physical, chemical and even behavioral sense...

What's this book of which you speak, Bob? Who wrote it? Is it supposed to be like a 'channeled' work, like The Urantia Book? It sounds science fictiony to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 6:32PM #5
Bob_Bennett

"The Disappearance of the Universe" is a channeled book from two ascended masters to a fellow named Gary Renard.

It does not sound 'science fictiony' to people who have previously read "A Course In Miracles", another channeled book.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:21PM #6
Initiate

EyesoftheWorld:  In a 'religious' sense, charting your life would seem absurd, as you said leaving no room for sin.  However, in the 'spiritual' sense it's not absurd at all.  We chart our incarnations to learn through physical experience.  Learning by doing, rather than by lecture.  There is no 'sin'.  Only bad choices.  In Spirit, when we chart to die tragically, it's for an overall good...lessons for others.  In Spirit, we are totally selfless in our eagerness to assist others in their growth, knowing that the physical is merely a temporary state.  When we return to Spirit, we review our incarnation objectively with our Guides and Elders, then begin to plan our next incarnation either to face lessons that we failed to learn, balance energy, or progress to new lessons.

Namaste,

Initiate

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 5:24PM #7
EyesoftheWorld

So, people who suffer horrible deaths or linger in pain for years with no hope of recovery have somehow chosen that fate? What about babies or kids who die?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 6:21PM #8
Bob_Bennett

People live out lives they have agreed to, for the purpose of learning spiritual lessons.  Dying in childhood and then returning to the spirit world is not a punishment at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 11:13AM #9
EyesoftheWorld

Alright. Where and with whom or what does this agreement occur? And when?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2010 - 7:16PM #10
Mewxacata

Yes, we have planned our lives before our birth, but please keep in mind that we can change our plans.  Your guides are  being there for you as if an angel dropped by and reminded you of what your life is going through.  Please be patient.  You are the only one that can change your destiny.  Do not be blindsighted by yourself ; turn to God, and He will help you find your way through life.

Blessed be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook