Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View New Age Writers and Christianity
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2009 - 10:29PM #21
Stardove

Host Note:  This is the Progressive Christian forum for Progressive Christians members of B'net.  I am not clear as to why this thread has turned into a discussion about Mr. Adamson and his work.

What very little I have read about Joseph Adamson make me think he believes he is a Messiah/Prohet, although his claims are other wise. 

Reformationnow, do you consider yourself a Progressive Christian?  I ask because this is a faith community for those that do.  Now it may be that Mr. Adamson in your opinion is a new age writer and hence the direction this thread has taken.

A quote from Joseph Adamson:

Not that I blame them. I understand why Jesus of Nazareth said I would first be rejected by my generation. I understand why most people, especially educated humanists and humanitarians, are quick to dismiss me as just "another religious nut with a messianic complex." And I understand why most religious people reject me because I refute some of their most cherished beliefs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~To all:

I feel I may have let the thread go astray for too long.  Guess what I am wanting is to get back to the topic of new age writers and what Progressive Christians think about them and maybe who as a Progressive Christian do you read and suggest other to check out.

Host ~ Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2009 - 12:41PM #22
Reformationnow

Oct 15, 2009 -- 10:29PM, Stardove wrote:

Host Note:  This is the Progressive Christian forum for Progressive Christians members of B'net.  I am not clear as to why this thread has turned into a discussion about Mr. Adamson and his work. What very little I have read about Joseph Adamson make me think he believes he is a Messiah/Prohet, although his claims are other wise. 

Reformationnow, do you consider yourself a Progressive Christian?  I ask because this is a faith community for those that do.  Now it may be that Mr. Adamson in your opinion is a new age writer and hence the direction this thread has taken.

A quote from Joseph Adamson:

Not that I blame them. I understand why Jesus of Nazareth said I would first be rejected by my generation. I understand why most people, especially educated humanists and humanitarians, are quick to dismiss me as just "another religious nut with a messianic complex." And I understand why most religious people reject me because I refute some of their most cherished beliefs.

To all: I feel I may have let the thread go astray for too long.  Guess what I am wanting is to get back to the topic of new age writers and what Progressive Christians think about them and maybe who as a Progressive Christian do you read and suggest other to check out. Host ~ Stardove

Stardove, I understand your concern. I continued posting merely to address questions and criticism about Adamson because I am an advocate.

To answer your question, I am a Progressive Christian. I was born and raised a Christian, but now I do not exclude other religions. I see how they are really about the same essential, univeral truths. I see the universality of the core teachings of Jesus, and Adamson is certainly not the only one who is teaching that. Many spiritual teachers and many religious writers are. For example, there are great books like Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings, by Marcus Borg et al, and Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers, by Thich Nhat Hanh, along with many other books on the subject. There are also many books that point out the similarities and compatibilities of all religions, because they were all derived and inspired by One Source.

I thought it appropriate that I bring attention to Adamson's work because he is a new age writer who explains how and why Jesus spoke of the end of this age and the beginning of a new one, which will be the "new kingdom" mentioned by many Judaic prophecies and the prophecies of Jesus. That, to me, is about New Age Writers and Christianity.

I do not see a contradiction in his assertion about who and what he is. He is the prophesied son of man, a servant of God, from our midst and of our brethren, and a messenger for the Spirit of truth. That's what the prophets, including the Christ Jesus of Nazareth, said he would be. And Jesus said the messenger for the Spirit of truth would not speak of himself as the Christ, but would glorify the Christ in heaven. In other words, rather than exalt himself, he does the opposite, writes anonymously, and does not cause his voice to be heard in public, just as Isaiah and Jesus prophesied.

Even so, I will not post any more comments on this forum. I'll just hope I've said enough.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2009 - 1:05PM #23
Stardove

Oct 16, 2009 -- 12:41PM, Reformationnow wrote:

Stardove, I understand your concern. I continued posting merely to address questions and criticism about Adamson because I am an advocate.

To answer your question, I am a Progressive Christian. I was born and raised a Christian, but now I do not exclude other religions. I see how they are really about the same essential, univeral truths. I see the universality of the core teachings of Jesus, and Adamson is certainly not the only one who is teaching that. Many spiritual teachers and many religious writers are. For example, there are great books like Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings, by Marcus Borg et al, and Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers, by Thich Nhat Hanh, along with many other books on the subject. There are also many books that point out the similarities and compatibilities of all religions, because they were all derived and inspired by One Source.

I thought it appropriate that I bring attention to Adamson's work because he is a new age writer who explains how and why Jesus spoke of the end of this age and the beginning of a new one, which will be the "new kingdom" mentioned by many Judaic prophecies and the prophecies of Jesus. That, to me, is about New Age Writers and Christianity.

I do not see a contradiction in his assertion about who and what he is. He is the prophesied son of man, a servant of God, from our midst and of our brethren, and a messenger for the Spirit of truth. That's what the prophets, including the Christ Jesus of Nazareth, said he would be. And Jesus said the messenger for the Spirit of truth would not speak of himself as the Christ, but would glorify the Christ in heaven. In other words, rather than exalt himself, he does the opposite, writes anonymously, and does not cause his voice to be heard in public, just as Isaiah and Jesus prophesied.

Even so, I will not post any more comments on this forum. I'll just hope I've said enough.  

Thanks for letting us know you are a Progressive Christian.  You are more than welcome to join in the discussions at this forum.  I was just concerned with the way this topic was going. My bad.   My intention was not to make you feel unwelcome.  Sorry, if that is what I did by posting.

This forum tends to be slow and we can use all the PC members who wish to join in the discussions.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2009 - 4:14AM #24
Dostojevsky

Stardove, nicely said.

I personaly find anything that confronts me and makes me question my faith as 'progressive'. It makes me progress one way ot the other. Mostly it confirms and often adds to my faith and makes me appreciate it more. Many New Age writers are way off (in my view only). They have this profound experience and turn to think that they are special and God talks to them and gives them special messages etc. The more we hear about people like this the more we have tools to discern.

As the Gopsel  of Christ is the most profound teaching ever given to mankind, anyone trying to discredit it makes it obvious who they are and whom they serve. I suppose having  freedom of religion, of thought, is all about freedom to give, freedom to take, and freedom to rejectSmile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2009 - 10:00PM #25
sixth step phobia

Hey, what about Scott Peck, "The road less travelled" is the grandaddy of all self-help books and his psychology of evil in "people of the lie" is still to be surpassed in looking at the nature of evil in an empirical and progressive way

I suppose he is now considered a middle of the road christian but a re-read of the road or for first timers it is essential christian reading

What about people who are not affilliated with any religion such as eckhart tolle who uses many of jesus parables and interprets them in relation to enlightenment are progressive christians open to researching non-christian writers

Any progressive spiritual person is not really progressive unless he incorporates all truth wherever it may come from wether that be the bible, koran, tao te ching, lotus sutra or Oprah

Spiritual awakening is awakening from the dream of thought
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2010 - 7:08PM #26
soma77

Evolution of Consciousness by John Kuykendall his site and book are about Christian mysticism

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 7:27PM #27
Bob_Bennett

"The Way of Mastery", a three part book that is channeled and published by "Shanti Christos."

It contains many truths, most of them from Jesus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2010 - 7:03AM #28
Dostojevsky

My family and I have all read Scott Peck. Due for re-read**

I think its is simply wonderful that we have come to a stage where these books are freely available and - freely read. My only regret is that I had not read them all at my younger years so I could have guided my children more positively.

Another book I just started reading - God I AM by Peter O. Erbi. New, fresh way of looking at 'I AM'

As somebody already pointed out, many of them quote Jesus' words as well as other spiritual teachers which shows that some Truth flows though all of them one way or another.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2011 - 6:07PM #29
Bob_Bennett
My personal "bible" is  "A Course In Miracles".
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook