1 year ago  ::  May 20, 2013 - 9:17AM #11
Stillsearching1

Sounds perfect to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 23, 2013 - 10:36AM #12
DotNotInOz

Wise advice from RevD.

UU churches differ widely in significant aspects. Unfortunately, one of those can be how tolerant church members are of diversity whether in politics or beliefs.

The only way to know what the climate is in a given church is to go there regularly for about 4-6 weeks and listen carefully to both the sermons and what people say to each other during coffee time conversations. Those two things, I think, best reveal what the climate is.

If you hear other faiths openly disparaged or individual UU's told "I'm not denying you the right to your beliefs, only disagreeing with them" after a pointed criticism was just delivered on how ridiculous, illogical and nonsensical a body of beliefs is and nobody within earshot speaks up to say anything about such a rant being unsuitable, that's a clear hint to head for the door and not enter it again. It can happen. It did a couple of times to me when I was a New Age UU, then commonly derided as silliness that no rational person would subscribe to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 23, 2013 - 5:02PM #13
Stillsearching1

Well, I'm going to take a look and see if anything sticks. Thanks for the advice and for the heads up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 weeks ago  ::  Jul 15, 2014 - 11:44AM #14
Angela_B

Mar 5, 2013 -- 5:03PM, Em_a_freespirit wrote:

This is my first post ever, and I'm hoping that replying to this old post might bring it to the forefront again and generate some new responses.

I too am considering joining a UU congregation, but as a libertarian have the same concerns as the original poster. While I am very liberal on social issues, and would work tirelessly to support private charities and social programs, I am staunchly opposed to the growth of government and support programs that would enable the reduction of government.

Are there any more recent perspectives on this? Would I be welcome in a UU church? I can hold my own in a debate and am very tolerant of other beliefs and opinions, but I would be very uncomfortable in a church if I felt the need to be constantly on the defensive for my political beliefs.

If you're still looking...may I gently question your convictions?

What do you do...when, as so often happens (even moreso in times of great economic strife) when there just isn't enough to go around thru private charity?

Should those who didn't get any just go away?  Should the government totally not step in to pick up the slack?

You see, I personally see Libertarians as being "Republican-lite" and my own experience says that Republicans don't seem to care much about the poor.  (Note this is my own personal perception - and that your perception may differ)

I apologize if this sounds like an attack, because it isn't meant as one.  But what do YOU...as a Libertarian...suggest we do...when there just isn't enough being given to private charity to cover all the need that is out there?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 weeks ago  ::  Jul 15, 2014 - 7:19PM #15
Angela_B

I thank you for correcting me, and giving me the facts about Libertarianism.

I do hope you understand no attack was intended...I DID state that these were MY PERCEPTIONS....and you as much as admitted in your own post that such perceptions of Libertarians were quite common.

However, I do not believe you really answered my question.

WHAT do YOU...as a Libertarian do...when there isn';t enough charitable giving to cover all the need that is out there?  Please don't tell me about your Utopia...tell me about what you do RIGHT NOW...with the framework we have to work with.

Is it your position that government should NEVER step in, and pick up the slack...and those who didn't get their basic needs met should just go away?

You have to admit there is a great shortage, currently, between the amount of need that exists...and the amount of charitable giving that is currently happening.

So what do YOU do...to address this shortfall...RIGHT NOW....given the framework we have to work with?

After you answer that, I would also welcome any thoughts you have on how the framework can be changed...so long as those changes allow the needs out there to be met, you may even win me over to your ideas.

But not if it is going to result in less need being MET...than need exists.

Thoughts?

And, just by the way, while we do not currently agree on our position...I am giving you an opportunity here to inform me of your ideas, and you just might change my view.  But I still want to know what yo do in the RIGHT NOW.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 weeks ago  ::  Jul 15, 2014 - 11:32PM #16
Angela_B

Seeing as I am not a Libertarian...

I'd rather you just answered the question I posed.

If you'd like to re-post it there...and then come back here and post some responses that would be fine.

But I am not sure your group wold be a good fit for me as I am NOT a Libertarian.

I'm not sure if you are intending to do this...but you ARE neatly avoiding answering the question.  And, again, this is not an attack.  But if you'd like a chance to convince me of your views...then you should be able to answer the question.

Because if you can't, then yo realy have zero chance of winning me over to your view.

Anything that causes more suffering in this world is bad, to be avoided, and to be ameliorated...by whatever means are available, is my view...and if that be government...then so be it.

YOUR view seems to be there should be no government involvement.  I'm asking you how you meet the needs that exist right here, right now, today....without any government involvement.  and you can't give me an answer that satisfies.

But I'm still open to hearing your views.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook