12 months ago  ::  May 20, 2013 - 9:17AM #11
Stillsearching1

Sounds perfect to me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 23, 2013 - 10:36AM #12
DotNotInOz

Wise advice from RevD.

UU churches differ widely in significant aspects. Unfortunately, one of those can be how tolerant church members are of diversity whether in politics or beliefs.

The only way to know what the climate is in a given church is to go there regularly for about 4-6 weeks and listen carefully to both the sermons and what people say to each other during coffee time conversations. Those two things, I think, best reveal what the climate is.

If you hear other faiths openly disparaged or individual UU's told "I'm not denying you the right to your beliefs, only disagreeing with them" after a pointed criticism was just delivered on how ridiculous, illogical and nonsensical a body of beliefs is and nobody within earshot speaks up to say anything about such a rant being unsuitable, that's a clear hint to head for the door and not enter it again. It can happen. It did a couple of times to me when I was a New Age UU, then commonly derided as silliness that no rational person would subscribe to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 23, 2013 - 5:02PM #13
Stillsearching1

Well, I'm going to take a look and see if anything sticks. Thanks for the advice and for the heads up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook