Switch to Forum Live View The Duplicity of the Critics
5 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2009 - 10:05PM #1
djconklin1950

Here's the latest whopper.

You are told:

"... for at last I know that the pope is antichrist, and that his throne is that of Satan himself....

Ellen White, The Spirit of Prophecy Volume Four, p 277"

But, when you look on that page there's no such quote. The reality is:

When the papal bull reached Luther, he said: "I despise it, and resist it, as impious and false. It is Christ himself who is condemned therein." "I glory in the prospect of suffering for the best of causes. Already I feel greater liberty; for I know now that the pope is antichrist, and that his throne is that of Satan himself." The Spirit of Prophecy Vol. Four (1884), page 117, paragraph 3

This is yet another example of why you cannot trust the critics of either Ellen G. White or the SDA church to tell you the truth. I will.

When the critics have proven to be so wrong, so many times, and on some really simple stuff, why should we trust them on the more complex?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 2:39PM #2
djconklin1950

Just finished re-doing the work Poirer had done on chapter 5 in SoC ("Consecration"). It is interesting that even when borrowing from herself EGW edited the work and placed the quotes in new settings.

Of course, the critics would tell you that she copied slavishly and wouldn't tell you that putting quotes in new settings was an acceptable literary practice back then.

When the critics have proven to be so wrong, so many times, and on some really simple stuff, why should we trust them on the more complex?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2009 - 8:57AM #3
djconklin1950

Latest whopper:

"The Civil´╗┐ War is a sign that Jesus is about to return - Testamonies for the Church Vol.1, pg.260." [written by E.G. White]"

She never said that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2009 - 5:39PM #4
spudette

Isn't that the truth, DJ. Every time someone tells me that Mrs White said this or that, and it doesn't sound right to me, invariably, either I can't find the quote, or she is quoted wrong. And another thing: when people tell me those things, I ask them what book they read it in, they can never remember.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2009 - 6:24PM #5
djconklin1950

I see that I fell behind here!

30. That Ellen G. White called Jesus "Michael the Archangel" (Desire of Ages pp. 99, 379; Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1, p. 158; Prophets & Kings p. 572)

1) There's no reference to Michael the archangel in DA on page 379.

2) There's no equation between Christ & Michael in Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1, p. 158 or Prophets & Kings p. 572.

31. "Not to mention the Mason Illuminati influence on EGW toilet paper teachings!!"

32. "But from her own mouth, she was a racist."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2009 - 4:46PM #6
djconklin1950

33. Alleged quote from EGW: {EGW: Lazarus, leads the donkey at the triumphal entry into Jerusalem. The healed dumb shouted the loudest, healed blind led the way and the healed cripples broke the most branches. "}  Can't be found.

34. "Seeing this, in the light of her calling Him "Michael the Archangel" (Desire of Ages pp. 99, 379; Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1, p. 158; Prophets & Kings p. 572)"  Unfortunately for the critic there was no mention of  Michael in DA page 379, or in 1 SG 158, and there was no equation of Jesus with Michael in PK, 572.

35. Another alleged material from EGW: {EGW: THE SISTER OF MARTHA AND LAZARUS, WAS MARY MAGDALENE, AND SHE WAS LED INTO SIN BY SIMON. DA, p. 566,568.}  She doesn't.

36. "SHE WAS AN OCCULTIST FACT!"

37. "SHE WAS INVOLVED IN THE OCCULT THE ILLUMINATI!"

38. EGW copied her health ideas from Jackson.  (No examples were given, despite repeated requests and then when pressed further said that they were in the book by Numbers-not there either.)

39. That Ellen G. White copied other people's ideas.  Can't prove that words were copied and yet they can prove that ideas were?!?

40. That Ellen G. White didn't believe in the Trinity, or did she?  In either case, critics condemn her for either position.

You can prove that some of the above claims are false with as little as 5 minutes of work.  The critics, however, will never spend that 5 minutes and will never admit that any of the above are false (even if they never made the claims themselves!).

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook