Switch to Forum Live View In need of help to quit smoking
5 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 11:53PM #1
Coltpixied

I am a new, solitary Wiccan, and have recently decided to quit smoking cigarettes. I simply don't want to essentially poison my body with all of the unnatural additives in cigarettes.

However, I am having quite a rough time attempting to quit...I've tried doing it cold turkey and get just horrid mood swings, almost to the point of panic attacks, but I don't want to do nicotine patches or anything of that sort. If anyone has any insight as to a more holistic approach to something that may help me quit, I would appreciate it very much.

Blessed be!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 8:46AM #2
CreakyHedgewitch

There probably isn't anything within the framework of the Religion of Wicca that would be relevant other than that which you are already doing, taking responsibility for your actions.

Have you discussed alternate methods with a local naturopathic practititoner? If not, perhaps there might be a naturopathic practitioner or clinic that you could book a consultation with. Consulting someone who is properly trained in such methods and whom you can speak to face to face is important. One should always treat herbals and alternative medicine with the same caution and respect that conventional drugs should be accorded. Herbals etc don't always work well for everyone and they can be dangerous if taken incorrectly. Always do research if possible before taking anything. As well, if anyone does offer any advice online, again please check if possible to ensure that you can use the same safely.

Likewise if you have an acupuncture clinic or one that offers such locally, you might wish to check that out.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 11:35PM #3
Coltpixied

Many thanks for the wonderful insight, it is very much appreciated!

Blessed be!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 5:03PM #4
Shamanmystic

I suggest first that when u want to quit... first make sure you really want to quit..and reaffrim to self all the positivive reasons for doing so ie "wanna be around for family, etc"

2nd i'd smoke all day and then throw all the ashtrays and cigarettes away before i went to bed.... if you smoke last cigarette before bed then many hours later when u awake cravings won't be as intense.... as nicotine levels will drop throughout night..... Hardest part is that first cigarette... If you give in to that first one u gotta start all over.. If you can find someone to help you through the first 3 days then most all nicotine and cravings be gone..

From here on out it helps to have a supportive but not overly critical friend who's kicked the habit themselves as they'll know what you going through...

You'll need to find other things to do with your hands and something other than smoking after those meals..... When i kicked habit many years back.. Took virtually every bit of focus i had to get past those 1st 3 days.. after that it was a cinch....... been free of that addiction nearly 18 years now..... Good luck Smile....... Sending beneficial chants your way......

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 10:04PM #5
Coltpixied

Thank you so very much for the wonderful insight and the chants!

May many Blessings find their way to you!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2009 - 12:05AM #6
Lavender

Hi, Colt. There are two options you have (from my view, of course.) You can use a banishing spell (sorry, I don't have my BoS handy to give you one.) Or, a very simple riual: light your candles and call the quarters just like you would do in any other ritual. Have an extra candle ready. On a slip of paper, write smoking (for those who would like to do this for something else, just write whatever it is on the slip.) Light the extra candle and burn the piece of paper, seeing the bad habit dissolving from every inch of your body. Let the candle burn until the paper is gone, thenblow it out, watching the air dissaipate the habit. Release the quarters and snuff out the candles. And then, work at it. It's ok to fall down; what makes us is not how many times we fall down, but how many times we get up. Good luck and blessed be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 3:17AM #7
Hera

Jul 31, 2009 -- 11:53PM, Coltpixied wrote:

I am a new, solitary Wiccan, and have recently decided to quit smoking cigarettes. I simply don't want to essentially poison my body with all of the unnatural additives in cigarettes.

However, I am having quite a rough time attempting to quit...I've tried doing it cold turkey and get just horrid mood swings, almost to the point of panic attacks, but I don't want to do nicotine patches or anything of that sort. If anyone has any insight as to a more holistic approach to something that may help me quit, I would appreciate it very much.

Blessed be!

I applaud you wanting to make a change for better health by stopping smoking. If you want to quit, write down why you want to quit (the stop smoking benefits ):
live longer, feel better, for your family, save money, smell better, find a mate more easily, etc. You know what's bad about smoking and you know what you'll get by quitting. Put it on paper and read it daily.   It is a hard habit to change- emotional and physical  parts.    You need all the tools that you can get and it helps to have someone help you navigate the process.   Good Luck!

HeraSky

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2010 - 10:01AM #8
Innerpoint

The nicotine addiction isn't the hardest part to overcome.  The habit of picking one up and lighting it is what you're going to have to break, first.  Through personal experience (and a little experimentation) I've found that the nicotine craving would actually be satisfied with about one cigarrette a day.  The anxiety comes into play because you don't have that 'crutch' to rely on.  (And yes, I'm still a smoker - I've not had that desire to quit, yet.)

If you try everything else that is on the market and don't have any luck, there's always hypno-therapy.  It sometimes takes up to 15 sessions to break the cycle and habit but there have been some amazing results.  What the hypno-therapy does is replace the habitual part with something that is more healthy for you, like deep-breathing exercises or wanting a glass of water.  Again, I must stress, it's not the nicotine addiction that you're trying to beat.  It's the habit of reaching for that cigarrette at certains times or circumstances.

Good luck... really!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook