5 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2009 - 7:59PM #1
moonsongsinger

I recently joined another online forum and started a topic about paganism in the forums. I identified myself as a Celtic Recon from America, and immediately was under attack. Please, read what you will of the posts and tell me, does their argument have any basis? I am on the verge of tears because I'm so frustrated with them.

They keep insisting that the gods of the Gaels are "closed", that the oath taken by the Gaels to worship the gods was somehow reciprocal and that the gods only accept worship from the Gaels, and that it is an insult to expect them to break their geas and accept me as a devotee. I know it's ridiculous that I let them influence me, but their arguments have merit. There's one who seems to be the ring leader, and all of the others are just backing him up. It's scary and odd. They claim I have no right to worship the Gaelic gods, and that my ancestry means nothing. This guy keeps saying that I'm unscholary, ignorant, and insulting Irish culture. He calls himself a "sagart of Annan". Is he a nut or am I an imposter?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 5:07AM #2
Chiah

Your link seems to have got cut off at the end, somehow. Could you repost it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 5:30AM #3
RevDorris

Avoid the group like a plague.

Their intent is not worship or serving the gods but exclusion and control.

Just my opinion.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 7:59AM #4
gorm-sionnach

Jul 30, 2009 -- 7:59PM, moonsongsinger wrote:

I recently joined Gaia online (no snickering please, it was for a friend) and started a topic about paganism in the forums. I identified myself as a Celtic Recon from America, and immediately was under attack. Please, read what you will of the posts and tell me, does their argument have any basis? I am on the verge of tears because I'm so frustrated with them.

I'm thekindthorn btw. www.gaiaonline.com/forum/lifestyle-discu...

They keep insisting that the gods of the Gaels are "closed", that the oath taken by the Gaels to worship the gods was somehow reciprocal and that the gods only accept worship from the Gaels, and that it is an insult to expect them to break their geas and accept me as a devotee. I know it's ridiculous that I let them influence me, but their arguments have merit. There's one who seems to be the ring leader, and all of the others are just backing him up. It's scary and odd. They claim I have no right to worship the Gaelic gods, and that my ancestry means nothing. This guy keeps saying that I'm unscholary, ignorant, and insulting Irish culture. He calls himself a "sagart of Annan". Is he a nut or am I an imposter?

The thing to keep in mind here, is that the forums for Gaia are full of morons, plain and simple. People enjoy trolling, its quite sad, and so always remember that the opinions from people on the internet are fairly worthless, but especially so on places like the Gaia forums...

Unfortunately I am unable to find the forum topic, and while using their inhouse search engine does indeed bring up a link to the topic, it no longer exists.

[edit] I searched through the last couple of days threads, then when I searched your name, one "blocked topic" came up, I assume this is the reason the thread is no longer accessible?)

I'm unsure how ancestry means nothing, as honouring the ancestors is one of the keystones of CRP.

I'm assuming that the claim being made is, only people in Ireland can worship the Irish Gods? I find this preposterous, and I'm sure the majority of CRP's, Druids, and members of other Celtic spiritualities would say the same. Certainly many of the textual specifics, especially the animism inheret in geographic features, are not reproducable beyond the geography.

If the God's have a problem with people outside Ireland serving them and making contracts with them, they've yet to tell me.Wink

Though I'd no idea wordlview's had geographic bounds...

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 1:38PM #5
moonsongsinger

Sorry guys, I was just really flustered when I posted this. Thanks for your replies. They moved the topic, so I can't get a proper link...that's unimportant though. I don't know why I let some interweb nerds troll me and make me upset. But you're right, their claims are ridiculous. And now you all know I'm a Gaia nerd, so this topic is basically over lolz.

But really, how many Irish people are that offended by honest, well-researched Recon?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 5:45PM #6
moonsongsinger

They also mentioned something about Morrigan's prophecy, saying that outsiders would try to "reclaim" the Gaelic culture or something....I don't know how the prophecy could be interpreted in that way. . . .

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 11:50PM #7
gorm-sionnach

Aug 2, 2009 -- 5:45PM, moonsongsinger wrote:

They also mentioned something about Morrigan's prophecy, saying that outsiders would try to "reclaim" the Gaelic culture or something....I don't know how the prophecy could be interpreted in that way. . . .

Funny, I do not see anything either, from the CELT version:

Then, moreover, she was prophesying the end of the world, and foretelling every evil that would be therein, and every disease and every vengeance. Wherefore then she sang this lay below:

1. I shall not see a world that will be dear to me.
    Summer without flowers,
    Kine will be without milk,
    Women without modesty,
    Men without valour,
    Captures without a king.

[gap: extent: approx. 6 words]

Woods without mast,
    Sea without produce,

[gap: extent: approx. 40 words]

Wrong judgments of old men,
    False precedents of brehons,
    Every man a betrayer,
    Every boy a reaver.
    Son will enter his father's bed,
    Father will enter his son's bed,
    Everyone will be his brother's brother-in-law.

[gap: extent: 8 words]

An evil time!
    Son will deceive his father,
    Daughter will deceive her mother.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 7:24PM #8
moonsongsinger

Yeah, that's what I read from it anyway. Hmm. Thanks gorm.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook