5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 4:10PM #1
Anesis

The Bible tells us that we need to pray about everything (Philippians 4:6-7). How can we pray and know that our prayers are going to be effective? I'm looking for depth here....there are certain things that I've read in the Bible that cause me to think that our prayers are not always going to be effective, like somewhere I read that men whose homes were not in order will not have effective prayers. So how can we ensure that our prayers are effective?

And I wonder why do people teach their children to kneel by their bed, fold their hands, and close their eyes to pray some pre-formulated children's prayer (Now I lay me down to sleep....)? Why do we bow and close our eyes in church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 7:31PM #2
puzzleman

Your correct, Dad needs to set the standard if the Lord isn't first in his life problems will result and prayers won't be effective. With the bad example set your family follows suit and without relying on the Lord chaos ensues then Dad turns to the Lord asks why and he doesn't have to think for long.

I don't know why but I still pray on my knees prior to reading the bible every morning as a sign of respect possibly, funny I never though to ask the question. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 9:27PM #3
Leight

....our prayers should be composed of God's Word.....  that was the quist of our service today, the fact that God is a covenant keeping God, and it is His Word that He looks to when He moves.... "He remembered His Covenant with Abraham, Issac, and Jacob" concerning His actions of bringing Israel out of Egypt.... and another place that He speaks of Watchmen that He has put on the walls to put Him in rememberance....   and even of how we can "hasten" the day of the Lord....

central to every prayer, or more specifically, every prayer should be built around the Word of God...indeed in it we can "acknowledge Him, in all our ways"...   today obeying this principle, I used the Lords prayer as a grid upon which to incorporate other scripture in our approach to the Throne today,.... and this too later out turned out to be our Pastors sermon.... and then later I came home and turned on TCT and a guy was declaring the same thing...

.... thusly we wait upon the Lord, get His Will and pray it back to Him in agreement....

we even got into a minor debate as to how childrens "dittys" aren't really Prayers and as such are not really "answerable"...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 12:55AM #4
birwin2229

I think the meaning of Philippians 2:12-13 as it relates to Prayer is very significant.

'Work out .. for it is God who works in you' This seems to indicate that when I pray, I join God in what he is doing. This gives me great confidence to believe that God will do the right thing for whoever and whatever I pray. This sense of joining God somehow helps me to see that God wants me to join him in His great work for the benefit of human beings and His cosmos. Not that God needs me to pray, but, rather, he invites me to join him by praying. As Blaise Pascal wrote 'God grants us the privilege of causality when he asks us to pray'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 9:11AM #5
miami-ted

Hello An,

May you enjoy God's bountiful blessings today and share them with others.

Let me first say that I am confident that God doesn't answer all prayers.  God does not answer the prayers of the wicked who ask in greed and selfishness for themselves unrighteous things.  God's word is clear that the prayers of the righteous availeth much.  God does not answer prayers that are not in keeping with his will and here again we return to the prayers of the righteous.  God even spoke to Israel and said that because of their wickedness he would not hear their prayers.  Now whether or not we define 'hear' as physically hearing the words of the prayer or that he does physically hear yet chooses to ignore the requests, the final outcome is the same; the prayer is of no value.

As I have often claimed on this site, my favorite passage of Scripture as it relates to how I should live my life as a believer and one who loves God, is the first Psalm of David.  It is very frank in explaining that God watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.  Now we can argue that that doesn't seem to show that God loves everyone, but then I'm also not of a mind that God's loving everyone is defined as the world defines love.  As far as I am concerned God's love is shown everyday that we draw breath just by the fact that He doesn't sweep us all away into destruction as in the days of Noah.  God's love is manifest each day be the rising of the sun and the watering of the rains that we are able to continue to feed our families.  But God's love, the love that he has shown through his Son, the love that is a love of nurture and comfort is reserved for those who love him.  All others share in the outer circle of his love, but the person that God really lavishes his love upon is the one who loves him.

As it was in the beginning of the creation, God created mankind to love and be loved in a relationship of mutual caring for one another, so it still is today.  For those who are willing to humble themselves and through the wisdom of God's word understand that God is God and we are his created and that the relationship, just as in a marriage, contains responsibilities for each party, there is great joy and peace and eternal life.  For those who would rather do it on their own and deny the most important aspect of the very purpose of God's creating them, there will come a day that God will give to each person what they seek by their actions and deeds.  Meaning that those who love God and accept their place in God's creation will enjoy life with God forever.  Those who, by their thoughts and actions do not love God will be cast out.

You asked:

And I wonder why do people teach their children to kneel by their bed, fold their hands, and close their eyes to pray some pre-formulated children's prayer (Now I lay me down to sleep....)? Why do we bow and close our eyes in church?

I believe that this posture of prayer has, for the most part, been accepted by believers as a show of humility towards God.  I find that closing the eyes does make it much easier to focus our thoughts towards God.  I pray often while driving or walking around and, of course, keep my eyes open, but when I really want to go before God and feel his presence in the deepest way, it is generally with head bowed and eyes closed.  I fully believe also that the 'Now I lay me down to sleep...' prayer does a great disservice to our children.  I never taught that prayer to my son and there is no biblical authority which would show that it is an effective prayer.  I taught my son to pray with sincerity and honesty and in a more conversational manner.  Asking God's forgiveness for his sins and being thankful for his blessings.

As far as I can tell the children's prayer mentioned is just another example of how so many are wont to turn worship for God into some rote, "do it this way and keep repeating it every day and then do it again" form of worship that I don't believe God honors.  God knows our heart and he wants to have a real relationship.  He wants us to be with him and speak to him, not out of some automated requirement, but out of a sincere desire to be with him and to talk with him.  To recognize him as the giver of all our blessings, even the very breath that we draw every 3 seconds.  He is the giver of life and for that alone we should love him that he has given us that precious blessing.  Without him there would be nothing.  I think it good for those who are his children to consider that before they go to him in prayer.  Then the true awe of his blessings becomes so much more apparent.

God bless you and I trust that he is watching over your way.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 4:57PM #6
Leight

...prayer comes through prayer, as we listen to Him and repeat His Words...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 5:08PM #7
Anesis

What about when we "present our requests to God".... for example, I have a request, and to some it might seem selfish, and yet God has created [most of] us with this particular need.... I have been content without, but there was an incident which made me think twice....and now I have a request that I want to present to God, but want to make sure there is nothing at all which hinders my prayer.......

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook