Switch to Forum Live View Celtic Myth in other media...
5 years ago  ::  May 15, 2009 - 12:13AM #1
gorm-sionnach

With the possible exception of the Arthurian myths, which are and are not "Celtic" depending on which tale your talking about, Celtic myths seem to be realitively unknown, except for those who have some sort of Celtic background or those who take a personal interest in them. This becomes more aparent, especially when compared to Greco-Roman or Norse myths. There are of course a multitude of reasons why this occurs, suffice to say that Celtic myths tend to remain obscure outside of those who seek them out.

Do you think this is something to be concerned about, would you like to see more general knowledge of Celtic myths among a wider body of people, outside of Scholars, Recons, Pagans and folklorists?

Do you think if a wider body of people knew the Celtic myths there would be less eneric "Celtic" paganism/ new age stuff popping up?

Do you think that any of the longer Celtic myths should (or could) be adapted into another medium? (For examply I have seen a couple of Tain Bo Cuilaigne graphic novels/ web comics, as i am into that sort of thing)

I think that something like the Tain could easily be adapted into a feature film, ala Zack Snyder's 300.

As always your thoughts?

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 19, 2009 - 9:12PM #2
Ursyl

I got to watch Hellboy2 this weekend, and noticed that it drew quite a bit on Celtic mythology.

Though Nuada did not get his silver arm, and was rather the bad guy of the piece.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 20, 2009 - 1:37AM #3
gorm-sionnach

In the hellboy comics, a bit of Celtic (and by that I mean Irish myth) crops up every now and then, but it tends more towards the Yeatesian "twilight of the Gods" and some folk tales more than anything else.

But yes the Nuada in the film seemed more like a "magic name drop" than anything else, it happens in a lot of Media, and not just with Celtic myth either. The Final Fantasy series is notorious for doing just that, pulling mythological creatures or figures out of a hat and plopping them where ever.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 28, 2009 - 6:20PM #4
The Celt

I was helping do inventory at the library in my brother's school and I came across an interesting book.  It's called The Druid's Tune.  It's about two kids who accidentally get sent back in time and get caught up in the Cattle Raid of Cooley.  I haven't read it, so I have no idea if it's any good.  Just though it was interesting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2009 - 7:25PM #5
Bairre

I do know that there has been some Celticism brought up in the movie world.  I recently watched Tristan and Isolde, which was good, and the recent Arthur movie had a lot of misconceptions, but generally depicted the "Woads" as brave though gave the Romano-Celts and air of superiority. 

Thor the comicbook was a horribly misleading and degrading depiction of the Norse Mythology.  I feel that trying to depict, say Lugh, in the same medium might lead to the same dumbed down and outright wrong depiction of the Celtic Mythology.

If done well, I would like to see the legends of Cuchulainn and Fionn MacCumail made into motion pictures.  I would also like to see the war between the Fomorians and the Tuatha de Danann depicted in picturefilm.  I would like the same to be done with the Norse Myths too, especially the Prose Edda.

And whatever any director who might read this think...  Angelina Jolie should not be in any mythological movie.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2009 - 11:28PM #6
gorm-sionnach

As far as Thor goes, J. Michael Sstraczynski's work on the series has been quite good, especially considering the revamping the character has undergone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 3:45PM #7
Longbow29

Actually, back in the 90s the Celtic Gods did pop up in Thor...Some such as Dagda, were handled very well. Others, not so well. IE when Lier was introduced he was a storm god...later that was god of the stormy seas... The Celtic Gods teamed up with the Gods of Asgard to keep Set and his Egyptian flunkies from taking over the world. It was a GREAT storyline with great artwork.

Other figures from Celtic myth have popped up in Thor, including CuChullain.

In other Marvel Books the Green Night, Finn and other figures have been introduced.

Celtic mythology is pretty rare in movies, and when it does pop up, its usually not too strongly represented, as you noted with the Hellboy movie.

The sad thing is, Celtic mythology IS popular and it is also influential in many ways. Conan the Barbarian, for example, being a figure heavily influenced by Celtic lore. In fact, Conan creator Robert E. Howard tended to focus on Celtic and pre-Celtic heroes such as Kull of Atlantis (ancestor to the Celts), Conan, ( a proto celt) and various Irish reivers such as Cormac Mac Art, Turlough O'Brien and so forth. One of my favorite REH characters is the Irish crusader Cormac Fitzgeoffrey who is as prone to swear by Crom as by St. Patrick, LOL...

I would love to see an epic adaption of one of Howards stories such as the yarn he did about the Battle of Clontarff, where Howard combined that epic historical battle with the Norse myth of Ragnarok.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 5:22PM #8
gorm-sionnach

May 10, 2012 -- 3:45PM, Longbow29 wrote:

Actually, back in the 90s the Celtic Gods did pop up in Thor...Some such as Dagda, were handled very well. Others, not so well. IE when Lier was introduced he was a storm god...later that was god of the stormy seas... The Celtic Gods teamed up with the Gods of Asgard to keep Set and his Egyptian flunkies from taking over the world. It was a GREAT storyline with great artwork.

I'm going to have to disagree with that to some degree; the "Celtic" heroes/deities which show up in marvel are little more than walking cliches. Cuchulain had to fight Samhain to protect the Book of Kells; I know where to begin with pointing out everything which is wrong with that, but I'll just mention lovely characters like "Caber" and "Shamrock". Egh...

]The sad thing is, Celtic mythology IS popular and it is also influential in many ways. Conan the Barbarian, for example, being a figure heavily influenced by Celtic lore. In fact, Conan creator Robert E. Howard tended to focus on Celtic and pre-Celtic heroes such as Kull of Atlantis (ancestor to the Celts), Conan, ( a proto celt) and various Irish reivers such as Cormac Mac Art, Turlough O'Brien and so forth. One of my favorite REH characters is the Irish crusader Cormac Fitzgeoffrey who is as prone to swear by Crom as by St. Patrick, LOL...

The Atlantis = Celts meme is only slightly less insipid than the Egyptian=Irish meme. While there are certainly some broadly evident aspects of so called "barbarian" cultures in Howard's works, they are so broad as to indistinguishable/ generic.

The sad thing is, Celtic mythology IS popular and it is also influential in many ways. Conan the Barbarian, for example, being a figure heavily influenced by Celtic lore. In fact, Conan creator Robert E. Howard tended to focus on Celtic and pre-Celtic heroes such as Kull of Atlantis (ancestor to the Celts), Conan, ( a proto celt) and various Irish reivers such as Cormac Mac Art, Turlough O'Brien and so forth. One of my favorite REH characters is the Irish crusader Cormac Fitzgeoffrey who is as prone to swear by Crom as by St. Patrick, LOL...[/quote]

The Atlantis = Celts meme is only slightly less insipid than the Egyptian=Irish meme. While there are certainly some broadly evident aspects of so called "barbarian" cultures in Howard's works, they are so broad as to indistinguishable/ generic.

]I would love to see an epic adaption of one of Howards stories such as the yarn he did about the Battle of Clontarff, where Howard combined that epic historical battle with the Norse myth of Ragnarok.

It would be interesting. An Irish film company, break thru productions, had planned a CG/live action film which would be a retelling of the core tales regarding CuChulain wrote:

I would love to see an epic adaption of one of Howards stories such as the yarn he did about the Battle of Clontarff, where Howard combined that epic historical battle with the Norse myth of Ragnarok.

[/quote]

It would be interesting. An Irish film company, break thru productions, had planned a CG/live action film which would be a retelling of the core tales regarding CuChulain; I was a bit trepidious when it was mentioned that Cu was to "learn the futility of war", but would have seen it none the less. Unfortunately, it looks as though it has been sidelined for now.

I am looking forward to "Brave", Disney not withstanding.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook