Switch to Forum Live View I believe myself to be deist, but I also beieve in the afterlife
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2009 - 2:21AM #1
Unreadphilosophy

Hell there everyone, 

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on something. I do consider myself a deist,  but based on the information I am about to give you, you could probably say that I am a deist boderlined on spirutality (please note that I do not, and never will be religious).  

I do believe in an afterlife. I believe that when we die, our soul does remain, and something does happen to it.

What happens to it....? Well I'm not sure myself. I know that we as deists can and can't prove that a relam outside of the physical construct of the 3rd demension that we co-exist in exists.  

I know that a lot of the founding fathers were deists, and that they too believed in the concept of life after death. 

Two of the most noticable were Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin. Ben Franklin did indeed believe in the afterlife. He believed in the afterlife, believed that the soul is reincarnated, and that we will experience did bodies and different ideals before we are done. 

What is your view on this? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2009 - 11:58PM #2
cclendenen

I am a Deist, but on the question of an afterlife I am agnostic. I see some evidence that some part of us may live on, but unless that is our full consciousness, then what lives on will not be "me". In which case, I don't know if "I"will continue to exist or not.

I can't do anything about it, whatever the case may be, so I will live the best life I know how. My afterlife will be whatever I leave behind me.

If there are other possibilities, I am ready.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 1:40PM #3
Jamesfrombama

I would also consider myself a Deist, but tend to believe in an afterlife.  I will admit though, that I believe that I know that it exists, so I guess that would place me in a similar category to your first reply, meaning I am somewhat agnostic to an afterlife. 

One of the best things about holding a deist view is that no one can tell you what to believe.  You have to decide, based on the evidence placed before you, using reason, what you think is most likely true.

For me, certain experiences I have had make me think there is possibly an afterlife, but the reasoning portion of my brain makes me wonder if I am just framing these experiences in such a manner to make them appear as proof of an afterlife, simply because I want there to be one.  I try to keep in mind the old saying "just because we may desire something to be true wholeheartedly, doesn't necessarily make it so". 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 03, 2009 - 8:14AM #4
Djwray

This is my opinion only, but my reasoning tells me that it's correct

Your earthly memories will be lost, but your powers of reasoning will remain. Your powers of reasoning are the real you. The good news is that they improve over time.

The fact that you understand the importance of reasoning puts you way ahead of the pack!

D J Wray

www.atotalawareness.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 6:28PM #5
Godgirl

Hi everyone. i guess i too am agnostic when it comes to an afterlife. I like the JW (jehovah witnesses) idea of living on a paradise earth with no death or sickness because its like a chance to relive life but relive it perfectly this time. But i will not become a JW. Perhaps the JWs are right about the afterlife being a paradise earth. But even if they are right there is no point in becoming a Jw BECAUSE they believe everyone will resurect into the afterlife regardless of belief. So ya i want to beleive as i am taught from the JWs but i also like the idea that our souls have no body but continue on to a glorious place. However I do reject the majority of these relgions. But when it comes to after life...i just dont know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 6:07PM #6
Wulfd87

As a deist, I follow, or try to, the principles/beliefs of Deism. I pretty much agree with everything that is involved, but on the case of an "afterlife", I am torn. I have come to terms that there may not be an afterlife, that this is it, but I do like to think on the side that maybe there is something after all of this. I think we do in some way "hope" that there is one. Either way, we must try to make the best of this life we DO have and live it to the fullest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 4:24PM #7
EyesoftheWorld

I think the concept of an 'afterlife' is a rather atavistic terror-of-death notion which is quite seductive.

Think of the way religions have put forth requirements and/or consequences concerning how one behaves in life affects one's 'afterlife', and the subsequent power those who put themselves forth as possessing the details have over others who believe them.

Personally, I can't accept that any 'god' would not be available to every individual without having to go through an intermediary such as a priest.

The chaos of interpretation of so-called 'revealed' religions and the corruption inside organized religions are great examples of what a racket it is.

What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook