5 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2009 - 3:09PM #1
Katsuninken

I thought I would post a resource or two for anyone who is interested in Shinto, or would like some materials to study further. It is my hope that A)this will not be treated as a definitive list, and B)that others will eventually add resources that have been useful to them.

Shrines in America:

The Ya-O-Yorozu no Kami

Shinto Sacred Texts:

• The Kojiki, Nihongi, Yengishiki and Kogoshui (and some selected tales from myth cycles)  *caution: several of these are the Basil Hall Chamberlain translations that rely heavily on Latin and display a pretty heavy bias

Some Stories and Legends:

My Favorite and Most Utilized Shinto Resource (aka the Ultimate Shinto Syncretist Guide):

Other General Information:

Some Shinto Traditions:

• Essay on Mikkyo
  • Shugendo
  • Miko (often translated as a shrine maiden, but a mysticism tradition also)
  • Kaigen (a syncretic tradition utilizing Buddhist mysticism) *note: this article contains information on the use of kaigen elements as part of Ontake Shinko; this article is in reference to reiki)

Some Worthwhile Books:

I hope this list was of benefit, and I hope to see it grow in the future. Please let me know if a link is broken or incorrect.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 12:00PM #2
Kokoro

Oh, wow! Thank you very much! I have been struggling to find any information on Shinto for months now! This will be very helpful for me. I was hoping to find more resources after I learned some more advanced Japanese, but these sources are very helpful I do not have wait months to read them! I can't thank you enough!

“I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks.” - Winston Churchill
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 11:04AM #3
XingYi

This site also has a lot of information.

eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwords/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 7:06PM #4
Katsuninken

Apr 17, 2011 -- 11:04AM, XingYi wrote:

This site also has a lot of information.

eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwords/

Thanks for the link! This one will definitely need to go in the resources. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 2:05PM #5
astrogaijin
For those of you that are familiar with the mailing list you may have seen this. One of the members of the list made a blog where he post and writes about things talked about on the list and his own experiences.
www.greenshinto.com
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook