6 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2009 - 8:21AM #1
Mason17
Shintoism is a beautiful religion that believes the nature is spirtual and everything as a very spirirtual existence. While Shintoism is a great religion, there is one thing it lack: a well-defined code of ethics and an idea of right vs. wrong.
I personally follow the Samurai virtues: Loyalty, Duty, Honesty, Justice, Courage, Compassion and Honor.

So tell me, what ethics to you follow? What are your opinions of right vs. wrong?
1. Capital punishment.
2. Abortion.
3. War
4. Human rights.
5. Other religions.
6. Assisted Suicide.
7. What are the worst possible crimes commitable?
8. Selective Service/ military Draft.

Please respond!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2009 - 11:23AM #2
Katsuninken

So tell me, what ethics to you follow?

The thing about Shinto is that its ethics are contextually implied. Nothing in Shinto will tell you how to be have, but it will give you suggestions, usually in the form of a parable. It is all about living well, living in a way that is pleasing to the kami, and living in the way that you were meant to live.

If your truth is to be a warrior, the your practice of bushido will be pleasing to the kami. But if you seek out the path of a warrior for false means (hatred, vengeance, or inner demons), then you have failed your faith and yourself. Likewise if you take on the role of a healer because you feel the inner drive to do so, then you are most likely working as you were meant to. But if you pursue it for fame, riches, or any other superficial purpose, again you have failed yourself and your faith. Any act that promotes, protects, helps, encourages or has any kind greater positive effect and will please the kami. In fact, if you display uncommon determination to be as you are meant to be, the kami will assist you on your way. It is important to note, though, that the greater effect is not the key. If you suffer needlessly because of what you do, then it is wrong, no matter what the end result for others might be.

As for ethics, I live regarding everything with respect. For me that pretty much dictates everything else. I do what I can to take care of those around me and build communities. If I feel my actions would damage my honor, cause harm or be displeasing to the kami, I don't do it.

1. Capital punishment. 2. Abortion.

Sometimes you must honor life by taking life, and sometimes you must take life to preserve life. I wrote a very long essay on Kaigen (a Shinto syncretic tradition) and abortion. It is far too long to post here, but if you are interested in it, you can find it here.

3. War

Shinto has a long history of war. I believe that in the right context, war is just, and sometimes necessary. Though admittedly it has been a long time since a war has been either.

4. Human rights.

All humans have rights. Treat all people with respect. Strive to be polite and honorable.

5. Other religions.

Are interesting, and are worthy of respect just as people are. Unless that religion seeks to destroy your culture. Then you have a just and necessary war.

6. Assisted Suicide.

Seppuku is an ancient and noble tradition. It is a valuable thing to be able to die with dignity and honor.

7. What are the worst possible crimes commitable?

Betrayal.

8. Selective Service/ military Draft.

Should not be necessary. If you love your country, you will volunteer. If you believe your war is just and necessary, you will assist in what way you can. It is the honorable thing to do. However, it is just as noble to refuse to fight when you believe the actions will dishonor your country and your superiors. Rebellions are, in fact, one of the highest forms of loyalty - the loyalty to dissent.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook