Switch to Forum Live View Dao Monks and their Unchanging Ways
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2009 - 7:59PM #1
DaoLotusBear

I received Dao in 2006 at a Dao Temple . The ceremony was three thousand years old and in Chinese. A monk known as  Dien Shein lead the tradition by having the men bowing on stools in front of a shrine of food and statues of divine persons, lighting incense as two female temple staff announced the ceremony step by step.

Dien Shein  had been officiating these ceremonies for several years and seemed quite able to handle a group of over thirty persons easily. I was blown away by the words and actions of the temple staff that worked together in harmony in front of an alter of oil burning lamps, two side by side in between an incense burner  and one set higher than the other two in the center of the alter.

Being very big I seem to have difficulties in bowing from my knees and was instructed to complete the hundred or so bows standing with my hands clasped together against my heart.

After doing the bows, I was instructed to kneel on the stool as the Dien Shein blessed me by opening my third eye with a whisk of his hand and index finger on my forehead.

Upon receiving Dao, I was asked to sit and wait for the Women to be separately blessed apart from the men. The ceremony being identical to the one I experienced.

After the ceremony I was told by another Dien Shein the three secrets or gifts that, I was given including a secret handshake and a short prayer. I and the rest of the new participants were lead to the basement of the temple for a sumptuous vegan meal.

For a ten-dollar donation, the whole evening was very worthwhile and I suggest that anyone take the plunge and receive Dao in the ceremony.

As for the monks, I will have to say they are pretty twisted souls. They seem too extreme in their ideals to be real. At the time of my ceremony, there were only two Monks for the entire United States. Now there are three.

They told me that receiving Dao was a privilege and only done through word of mouth, this means no advertising, no web site, and no sign in front of the temple. The Monks are adamant not to change their ways as they have been taught since the beginning of time.

I made the mistake of putting a teaching of Dao that I got from a weekend called obviously, the three day weekend. A Channel channeled the consciousness of the Buddha that taught the class how to live the Dao life. This experience was interesting basically because the woman who was the channel only spoke in Chinese; everything she said was written down on a black board in Chinese and translated to us verbally in English by a very bad translator who could barely speak English herself.

I took there English translation and put it onto MS Word so that I could share the teaching with everyone. What struck me as silly if not completely ludicrous was the Monk telling me over the phone that the translation is secret and can't be shared to just anyone. Seems funny to me that the Word of God is a secret.

I realized at that moment that that Dao wasn't a philosophy as much as it is a religion with very close minded individuals running the temple. Dogma is dogma as long as you keep it secret and prevent people from discussing what they have been taught based on three thousand years of ignorant points of view.

My wife knew even before I took the vows that this Dao thing was just another religion trying to change people into something other than human. You can follow the dogma just long and eventually the system will start trying to get involved with your life in attempting to control your behaviors.

Dao Lotus Bear
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2009 - 11:34AM #2
Mak Tin Si

That is not "Taoism" that you went into. It is instead another religion called "I-Koon-Dao". It is a religion that say that combine 5 into 1 (buddhism, taoism, christian, muslim, confusionism...) but none of these religion claim this religion is teaching the correct thing from the source. Therefore, none of taoism sects will say that I Koon Do is taoism.

In Taoism enrollment or obtaining ceremony, we do not ever "open the eye" for the practitioners.

The 3 treasures in taoism is : Dao, Ging. Si --

The great tao- the way

Ging- scriptures, teachings

Si - masters, deities and the ascended ones

These are the 3 treasures in Taoism. When you obtain into taoism, you obtain into the 3 treasures and because you "gwai-yi" into the religion and got the lineage linked to you.

Mak Tin Si

www.daoismworld.com -- a Taoism Forum

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2009 - 4:47AM #3
DaoLotusBear

I have always wondered why the Monks are so secretive about their sect. They keep telling me that they are not a religion and they are practicing the true Dao not Taoism.

Thank you for sharing this I appreciate it.

Dao Lotus Bear
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2009 - 10:13AM #4
Mak Tin Si

Yes, I have had many visitors to my temple with the same experience too. I asked them what do you practise or believ, they all told me the same thing "I am practising tao, they say tao." But then when I asked furthur in depth, the say "no, it's not taoism, it's tao." I was then scratching my head off.. until later I found out that this religion here is called I-Koon-Do.

Let me give you some scary info here.

I-Koon-Do is another new name for the White Lotus Rebellion branch back in the Ching Dynasty in China. These people claim to blend many religion into one and they are rebellions in China. Later on, they ran and worked with the Japanese with the name of I-Koon-Do. With the Japanese's help, they then force people in taiwan to believe in this and have  their altars at home. If not, the governments find out you do not believe in this and you will get shot in the head right away. It's scary and banned in taiwan as "evil religion" once before. Now it is open back up to the public because it gets too big outside of taiwan.

But the thing is.. they are using the name of many other old religion and misleading people about the real stuff. So what can I say?

This funny visitor told me she went to this I-Koon-Dao temple in toronto and they used to have a bunch of robes.. people SHARED them, like you can just go and get one in the pile each time you go. Rediculous!!

In taoism, robes are very sacred and personal because you train with the robes and has all your energy and profile inside the robes, how can it be shared? In Taoism, the taoism canon already told you that robes are so serious and cannot be shared. If the temple find out you shared or used other people's robes, you get punished and kicked out of the sect sometimes. It is that serious!

So this religion of I-Koon-Do really shocked the head out of me sometimes. If you are interested in learning the real Taoism religion, I can always give you a start if you want. I am teaching Taoism online too and you can read about some of our student's experience also in the forum of www.daoismworld.com/forumbb/ . It's very different from what you are with now of course, very interesting.

Mak Tin Si

Mar 6, 2009 -- 4:47AM, DaoLotusBear wrote:

I have always wondered why the Monks are so secretive about their sect. They keep telling me that they are not a religion and they are practicing the true Dao not Taoism.

Thank you for sharing this I appreciate it.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook