Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Chat between a Missionary and an Evangelical
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:08PM #51
withwonderingawe
Byt; Can we take the discussion of the gay lifestyle to another thread, or better yet, another forum

Sorry, sometimes I should just keep my thoughts to myself, I’m sorry.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:19PM #52
christianincollege

bytebear wrote:

Serious question for you. Why would you want to speak with a missionary if you 1) already understand LDS theology and 2) don't agree with it?

I personally don't think you really do understand LDS theology, but I do have some books for you to consider to better understand it from an evangelical perspective:

How Wide the Divide?: A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation by Craig L. Blomberg and Stephen E. Robinson
Claiming Christ: A Mormon-Evangelical Debate by Robert L. Millet and Gerald R. McDermott
New Mormon Challenge, The by Richard J. Mouw, Francis Beckwith, Carl Mosser, and Paul Owen

All three books are written by (at least in part) by evangelical scholars, so there is no Mormon bias. But they are honest explanations of LDS theology, so you may be surprised at what they say, because it is rare that evangelicals are honest about LDS beliefs.

I do understand LDS theology.  Even the missionaries I talked to (I have had 4 in my home, spoken to some online, and have spoken to four outside my home) have said I understand their theology... and just disagree with it.  Also, I have owned the book The New Mormon Challenge.

Disagreeing with theology doesn't mean I just don't understand it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:32PM #53
bytebear

christianincollege wrote:

I do understand LDS theology. Even the missionaries I talked to (I have had 4 in my home, spoken to some online, and have spoken to four outside my home) have said I understand their theology... and just disagree with it. Also, I have owned the book The New Mormon Challenge.

Disagreeing with theology doesn't mean I just don't understand it.

I don't mean to be rude, but you really don't understand the LDS concept of grace, or faith and works. It's ok, many Mormons don't fully understand it either, and evangelicals will say that Mormons only believe in salvation by works. But that is simply not true. We are saved by grace, but judged according to our works. Jesus Christ has paid for all sins, past, present and future, but we must take advantage of that grace through faith, repentence, baptism and by following his commandments. Repentence and forgiveness are only possible because of Christ's great and eternal atomenent. Is that what you understand LDS belief to be?  And if not, where do you think I am wrong, and if so, what is it you disagree with?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 6:40PM #54
christianincollege
That is exactly what I believe the LDS church teaches.  Do you regularly assume all evangelicals don't understand LDS theology?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 6:44PM #55
bytebear

That is exactly what I believe the LDS church teaches. Do you regularly assume all evangelicals don't understand LDS theology?

First, what do you find wrong with Mormon theology as explained above?

I think many do, but I think a lot misrepresent them when explaining them to others. I think others simply do not. For example, I have been told many MANY times that Mormons worship Joseph Smith and not Jesus Christ. In fact, I know many people who don't even know that the Book of Mormon is all about the atonement of Jesus Christ. I found this article enlightening on the subject:

http://www.centerplace.org/library/bofm … ofbofm.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 8:02PM #56
christianincollege
Bytebear, you and I both know most of the distinctive doctrines of the LDS faith are not in the Book of Mormon.  They are in the other standard works of the LDS faith or something said by the current "modern day prophet."  Secondly, the link you sent me to is an RLDS website.  Hardly convincing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 8:05PM #57
Ironhold

That is exactly what I believe the LDS church teaches.  Do you regularly assume all evangelicals don't understand LDS theology?

To be blunt?

Far too many "Good Christians" either deliberately distort the LDS teachings when discussing them with others or refuse to actually do any research above and beyond what their minister tells them. In fact, spreading false information about the LDS faith has become a cottage industry within the United States and the United Kingdom, with a plethora of books, tapes, DVDs, and speakers who specialize in telling lie after lie about the church.

Thus, it is nigh impossible to locate a mainstream Christian who has all their facts in order about the church. The few who do have some level of correct understanding usually either grew up in a Mormon community or are educators who have made the extra effort to learn about other faith traditions aside from their own.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 8:13PM #58
christianincollege
I understand the LDS faith. I get my information from 1) Missionaries of the church 2) LDS.org and official LDS sources and 3) By attending the LDS church.  It is possible to understand the LDS faith and not believe it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 11:13PM #59
bytebear

Bytebear, you and I both know most of the distinctive doctrines of the LDS faith are not in the Book of Mormon. They are in the other standard works of the LDS faith or something said by the current "modern day prophet." Secondly, the link you sent me to is an RLDS website. Hardly convincing.

Ummm.. the link is to a Baptists site.  Not RLDS.  And the point is, Mormon theology is not in disharmony with the Book of Mormon, and actually most of the "distinctive doctrines" are actually found in the Bible.  The D&C and PoGP expand on the concepts, but they are in the Bible too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 11:14PM #60
bytebear

I understand the LDS faith. I get my information from 1) Missionaries of the church 2) LDS.org and official LDS sources and 3) By attending the LDS church. It is possible to understand the LDS faith and not believe it.

You didn't answer the question.  What aspect of the doctrine I presented do you disagree with?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook