Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Chat between a Missionary and an Evangelical
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:27PM #21
bytebear

christianincollege wrote:

It seems like I fell into a pre-existing argument that had began before I even got here. I started the post, but I have no idea what is going on. :-)

I am not hateful and I am not anti-Mormon (which has became the Mormon "N" word). I will admit I am "anti-Mormon theology" but that should not be a barrier where people disregard what I say. For instance, it would not be fair to label every Mormon anti-Baptist or anti-homosexual just because they disagree with them. They may be anti-Baptist theology just like I disagree with LDS doctrine, but we can still be friends and have a conversation... I hope.

Serious question for you. Why would you want to speak with a missionary if you 1) already understand LDS theology and 2) don't agree with it?

I personally don't think you really do understand LDS theology, but I do have some books for you to consider to better understand it from an evangelical perspective:

How Wide the Divide?: A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation by Craig L. Blomberg and Stephen E. Robinson
Claiming Christ: A Mormon-Evangelical Debate by Robert L. Millet and Gerald R. McDermott
New Mormon Challenge, The by Richard J. Mouw, Francis Beckwith, Carl Mosser, and Paul Owen

All three books are written by (at least in part) by evangelical scholars, so there is no Mormon bias. But they are honest explanations of LDS theology, so you may be surprised at what they say, because it is rare that evangelicals are honest about LDS beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:30PM #22
UwishUwereMe
Seriously! 

Wwa, You Do Not Know Me Or Anything To Do With My Situation.  Please Stop Insinuating That I Am Gay.  I Have Asked You Twice Now. 

I Am Not A Supporter Of Prop 8.  I Never Was It Is Clear By My Postings Of That Fact. 

You Know Nothing Of My Happiness And You Are Messing Up This Thread.  Please, Please, Please Drop This And Let Others Contribute To An ***intellegent*** Discussion!

I Will Be Going To The Moderator With This As You Are Being Blatantly Insulting And Rude.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:31PM #23
UwishUwereMe
Because I struggle with SSA, and happen to believe that gay people are people too, in it's self is NOT wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:41PM #24
withwonderingawe
Wish

On your bio is says you belong to

GLBT-Straight Alliance, Gay Pride, …

Forgive me for assuming
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:50PM #25
withwonderingawe
Christian; the Mormon missionary who came to me himself quoted this verse with that intended meaning.

Which intended meaning, that we are working our way to heaven, trying to chalk up more and more brownie points? Then you must have understood him wrong.

If we apply this passage to the New and Everlasting Covenant then it means we are under covenant to “to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you” Matt 28

As I said baptism is not going to save me unless I have the love of God in my heart.

God made a statement of purpose in the opening chapter of the Bible.

“Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

Obviously none of us have reached that point yet, it is an on going process. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus began to lay down the fountain of the New Covenant.

He explains;
Think not that I am come to destroy the law/Old Covenant or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

And then he says; For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven

We have to be better than the Old we have to reach to a new and higher law.
Christ goes on then to expand the law. As you pointed out it is no longer just avoid adultery but we are not to lust. So how are we to comply with this new and expanded thought?

By the Lord stating the law or goal we can then know what is expected. Now we can learn to avoid situations which would cause us to lust. We turn the channel, we avoid movies and we stay close to the Spirit.

After a time those worldly things begin to repulse us, we see it as an abuse of the body and the beautiful union which can exist between a man and woman. Lusting can be overcome.

We are not in a total helpless situation, we have the grace of God to help us through each step.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 4:53PM #26
UwishUwereMe
Well, not that I need to answer to you, but surprisingly I believe that  GLBT people are people too!  So I was in the gay-straight alliance all the way back to highschool.  Mostly becasue they have to deal with people like your self.

I am also involved in "Gay Pride" becasue I used to work for a company that donates heavily to Minneapolis Gay Pride, and I used to work a shift in the booth there.

So, the fact that I love and support my GLBT brothers & sisters 1. does NOT need to be slapped in my face, 2. has nothing to do what so ever to this thread.

Also for someone who is open anf HONEST enough to talk about his/her struggles with SSA, it's pretty sick to imply that becasue they don't fit into the cookie cutter born perfect in every way with out temptation or weakness they are not worthy to talk about their own religious expereinces.

Go back to Midvale, it's time for your meds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:00PM #27
withwonderingawe
Wish; …it's pretty sick to imply that becasue they don't fit into the cookie cutter born perfect in every way with out temptation or weakness they are not worthy to talk about their own religious expereinces.

I didn’t say that, now you're reading into my comments things that aren’t there.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:02PM #28
bytebear
Can we take the discussion of the gay lifestyle to another thread, or better yet, another forum.  There are far too many issues already in this one to bring up issued that the OP didn't even have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:05PM #29
withwonderingawe
Christian; I am "anti-Mormon theology"

So are we Mormons doomed to hell?
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:08PM #30
withwonderingawe
Byt; Can we take the discussion of the gay lifestyle to another thread, or better yet, another forum

Sorry, sometimes I should just keep my thoughts to myself, I’m sorry.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook