Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View “Yahweh” or “Jehovah”?
5 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2009 - 7:56AM #11
Imperfectense

I have been checking this site out and I have learned so much.  Many knowledgeable friends, sharing useful information.  I want to improve my research abilities.  I get distracted so easily.

WTS Bible Dictionary Insight-2 p. 1132 Truth
"Being “the spirit of the truth,” God’s holy spirit could never be the source of error but would protect Christ’s followers from doctrinal falsehoods. (Compare 1Jo 2:27; 4:1-6.)...)

Watchtower 1987 11/1 p. 29 Religion’s Tidal Wave—The Final Reckoning
Examine the religious institution to which you belong. Does what it stands for agree with the Bible in every way? If not, then your organization is part of “Babylon the Great,” or the world empire of false religion. Follow the command found at Revelation 18:4, which is: “Get out of her, my people, . . . if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 8:18PM #12
anotherpaul

It should be noted that "Yahweh" was unknown much before 1900. In addition the vowel pointing does not match the Masoretic text pointing, so where did they get it? They invented it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 12:25PM #13
Goodtobehomestill

Glorious to 'see' you, Anotherpaul!

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 4:33PM #14
humbly.search.for.truth

As long as we are talking about God's name in translation, I thought I would contribute something to it. 

When I was a trinitarian, believed in hell as a fiery place of torment, and that everyone has a soul that lives on after death, one thing that stood out was why God's name was removed.  In the KJV, you could count on one hand and have fingers to spare the number of times the name was included.  Then, in the NKJV it was removed?  Later, as I learned and later adopted my beliefs as a Witness, I realized that it was removed not just a few times, but thousands of times.  I wondered, "What nerve or right did they have for doing this?"  I always felt that the original language should be left alone and that something so distinct was put there for a reason. 

Here is an actual letter received from the NIV translators and publishers trying to explain why the name wasn't included, even though it was God's name.  The feeling I got from it was that they are not searchers of truth, but are there to sell their bibles.  Jehovah's Witnesses really are not wavered if any other group or even most of the world doesn't obtain anything from them.  Today, most people don't agree with the use of God's name included, but this doesn't waver JWs.  Ironically, JWs are accused of "changing God's Word" when it is in fact the others who have done this. 

Think of all the scriptures that are clarified by putting God's name in its proper place!

Here is the letter.  I took the liberty of removing the original writer's personal name and address, as it is not necessary and I am sure they would appreciate such information not forwarded to others as it was to me.  I do have the unedited version.  If you can't see the photo too well, let me know and I can post a link or email it. 

dl.getdropbox.com/u/1492737/Jehovah%20Re...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 4:55PM #15
Goodtobehomestill

Thank you, I had read that before, but never seen a photocopy of the document... of course they could do like we do, put the Name back and hand them out for free!

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 9:09PM #16
anotherpaul

Oct 5, 2009 -- 12:25PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Glorious to 'see' you, Anotherpaul!

Hi,

Nice to see you too.

Been busy and also moved to Tn where there is mnore territory to work. I have a little more time to stop by now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook