Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 5:16PM #31
BillThinks4Himself

UwishUwereMe wrote:

BILL, it truly sucks being at total odds with you, as I completely respect you in every way and I feel like we share a VERY similar take on religion and religious issues. 

But, I just disagree with you politically.

That's okay.  You've got four years to find your way.  I'll wait.  In the meantime, you can still be my friend.  Besides, I'm still registered Republican.  (I didn't want to change my registration and find myself on some list of people who can't vote because their name rhymes with that of someone who is a convicted felon in another state.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 6:38PM #32
bytebear
Just one point. There is a difference between blaming institutions who change rules to allow minorities to purchase homes, and blaming those minorities who took advantage of those rules. 

But to accuse me of "blaiming the victim" is to ignore all that happened in the housing market. Don't believe me?  Read this news article from 2004:

http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/docu … 081504.asp

[SIZE=2]President Bush has made minority homeownership a priority, at least in his speeches, since June 2002 - when he echoed a goal of mortgage-financing giant Fannie Mae to help put 5.5 million new buyers of color in homes by 2010. But although Fannie Mae has dedicated about $500 billion in loan funds to the effort, Bush's centerpiece, the American Dream Downpayment Initiative, simply moves money from an existing low- and moderate-income housing program for cities and states.

[/SIZE]

Now, don't pretend that policies being praised four years ago, aren't a major contributing factor to the crisis we have now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 7:00PM #33
moksha8088

Ironhold wrote:

Officially, this is because the new Secretary of Commerce once proposed eliminating the department and so there were fears that he might not do a good enough job.

Presently, however, it's swung the other way: there are fears that if the White House tries to do anything to exert influence it might result in bias since the census is what the government uses to determine electoral votes and representation in the House; the White House, it's feared, might force the Commerce Department to inflate numbers in pro-Democrat areas and deflate numbers in pro-Republican areas.

Didn't Obama appoint a Republican as Secretary of Commerce?

I know that these census numbers can become a very political football.  Here in the one party controlled State of Utah, the Republicans have massaged the census data and gerrymandered the congressional districts enough to make it hard for any Democrats to be elected to Congress.  The county I live in has even been split into thirds to dilute its influence.

The census is important for the statistical data it can generate and should not be politicized.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 10:31PM #34
bytebear
They did, but he declined after they had intended to do just as you describe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 9:42AM #35
UwishUwereMe
Judd Gregg, the appointee, is a Republican, and declined the position because of fundamental political differences.  He thought the appointment was a publicity stunt to show that Obama could or would reach out to Republicans, but he was pressured to be a total "yes man" to Obama.  He knew is was a set up as-it-were, and didn't want to be the center of attraction in this dance. 

Judd Gregg is even a slightly "liberal" republican and still didn't want any part of this non-sense.  The democrats are in charge, they refuse to take the Republican point-of-view, and now at least 50% of the american people have to sit back and grit their teeth and figure out how to go on in this "drama soup."

You can bet when ever there is a democrat in office some kind of weird "E-real life movie" unfolds in the White House.  Bill Clinton with all of his lies, his pardons of criminals, extra marital affairs in the white house, and sneaky dealings with Israel and the Rothschilds.  He was NOT a good man, and he ran the Economy into the ground his last couple years in office, we saw that coming. 

Don't get me wrong, as much as I loathe Al Gore, I wouldn't have wished what Clinton did to ensure the next president failed on him any more than G.W.  People all think I am that one sided.  I am not, I believe the earth is round, I can see down the road, and I know Al Gore would have probably dealt with most of the same issues, we can only speculate how he would have handled them, democrats will look back and say he would have done better then Bush, and Republicans would look back and say he would have been a lousey president.  I say I don't know but I doubt he would have handled things THAT drastically different.

Trust me, most of the so-called "terrorists" out there don't care who the president is, they don't like America, her values, and her way of life.  That's it. 

Judd Gregg is a smart man for not having taken the bait.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 11:30PM #36
BillThinks4Himself

UwishUwereMe wrote:

Bill Clinton with all of his lies, his pardons of criminals, extra marital affairs in the white house, and sneaky dealings with Israel and the Rothschilds.  He was NOT a good man, and he ran the Economy into the ground his last couple years in office, we saw that coming.

Clinton lied about fellatio.  Wow.   How does that stack up against the lie that got us into Iraq?  How many people died because of Clinton's zipper?  I suspect it was fewer than the number of brave men and women sent into harm's way - and kept there through Stop Loss - looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction.  When Joe Wilson's wife was outted, Bush said he'd find the leaker, but 18 months later, it turned out that he was the leaker.  Where do you stack that one?

Sneaky dealings with Israel?  What's wrong with Israel?

The Rothschilds?  Oh my.  Are we reading from the Gospel of John Birch? 

Clinton "ran the Economy into the ground his last couple of years in office"?  Really?  There was a dot bust, at the end of the dot-com bubble, but I'm pretty I'd trade you eight years of Bush for those last two years of Clinton.

Don't let the ditto heads think for you.  You're too good a man to let them dance in your head.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2009 - 12:50AM #37
Ironhold

BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Clinton lied about fellatio.  Wow.   How does that stack up against the lie that got us into Iraq?  How many people died because of Clinton's zipper?

The bit with Monica came out as a side effect of Ken Starr's investigations into legitimate allegations of wrongdoing against the Clintons, such as Whitewater. Starr was so repeatedly stonewalled by the White House that he started having to examine things peripherally in order to find what evidence he could, and in the process inadvertently set up a situation where Monica and her friend were able to come forward.

Clinton "ran the Economy into the ground his last couple of years in office"?  Really?  There was a dot bust, at the end of the dot-com bubble, but I'm pretty I'd trade you eight years of Bush for those last two years of Clinton.

The bulk of the budget "surplus" only existed on paper. Even then, it relied upon the dot-com bubble continuing and Clinton finding an excuse to raid Social Security for $$$. Part of the present Social Security crisis is Clinton's raiding, which drained much of what little money was actually in the system and shortening the fund's lifespan by several years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2009 - 5:10PM #38
moksha8088
Makes me think there is a shared identity between the LDS Church and the former Irish Republican Army:  They both had political wings, bomb throwers (firgurative of course) and a fierce determination to push their political thoughts to fruition knowing God was on their side.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 10:18AM #39
UwishUwereMe
But I still think it funny that BUSH lied to get us into war.  He may have lied but the war bill passed almost completely unanamously (spelling?).  It took the effort of the House and Senate as well. 

Sorry. 

I don't let Rush or Glenn Beck or anyone do my thinkinf for me, but I agree with them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 10:21AM #40
UwishUwereMe
P.S. I am a member of the JBS, but seriously Israel has a very heavy hand in US politics.  When Israel prospers, the US prospers.  I am not trying to create the Blog version of Zeitgiest here, but there are some interesting things that take place that we are NOT privey to...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook