5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 9:35PM #1
Pink52
Assalmu Alaikum ! In the Sura "The Cow"....the word "we" is used over and over again.....it seems a bit confusing to me. Could someone please explain this? Thankyou !!! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 11:42PM #2
Ceren

Pink52 wrote:

Assalmu Alaikum ! In the Sura "The Cow"....the word "we" is used over and over again.....it seems a bit confusing to me. Could someone please explain this? Thankyou !!! :)

The word "we" used here in the arabic ("nahnu") is called "the plural of majesty", used to indicate importance, majesty status, etc.

I learned also that this is the way the "king" or "queen" referred to themselves in royal edicts, which I think it's interesting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 11:48PM #3
Wmdkitty

Ceren wrote:

The word "we" used here in the arabic ("nahnu") is called "the plural of majesty", used to indicate importance, majesty status, etc.

I learned also that this is the way the "king" or "queen" referred to themselves in royal edicts, which I think it's interesting.

As in, "We are not amused"?

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 8:42PM #4
Muhammad_Ahmad
A dictionary definition of ‘We" found The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language states: "Used instead of I by a sovereign in formal address to refer to himself or herself."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 8:42PM #5
Muhammad_Ahmad
A dictionary definition of ‘We" found The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language states: "Used instead of I by a sovereign in formal address to refer to himself or herself."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 04, 2009 - 3:29PM #6
Globalnomad

Assalam aleikum Brs/ Srs, may this message find you in the best of health and iman. Having nationality of country that has a royal family I indeed learned that 'we' (e.g. at start of laws) is 'pluralis majestatis' (royal plural). Not sure if 'God's we' should be same as 'royal we', but perhaps at least it answers Brother's question a bit? In peace, globalnomad

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook