Switch to Forum Live View How would your recent ancestors react...
5 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2009 - 10:52PM #1
gorm-sionnach
To you being a Celtic Recon?

Or more to the point, and it's a less than serious topic, how would your Catholic (as an example) Great Great Grandmother, react to your now being a Pagan?

Would great aunt Muriel find it appalling that her descendant is dabbling with the ''occult''?

Or do you feel that perhaps, and especially consider the folkloric customs of much of the Gaelic countries, its not that much of a problem?

If you honour your (recent) ancestors do you ever find the need to try and reconcile their beliefs with your own?
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 11:49AM #2
Diarmuid
My great grandparents were devout Irish Catholics. I honestly don't know how they would react, though. Then again, despite their being Catholic they had a great time sinning, haha. Still remember my great-grandmother swearing after losing in poker and pulling away her oxygen mask for a sec to take a puff of her cig......ewwwww......but so funny.....

As for honoring my recently deceased ancestors, I agree with Tomas' statement of it being more cultural than "pagan", and so don't worry.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 1:09PM #3
Svipdagr
My grandparents both knew about, and encouraged my interest in and practice of Asatru...CR would be no different.  They wholeheartedly believed that a religious path had to contain certain virtues and ideas to be considered worthy and good...but the numbers of deities or how deity is worshipped was not among them.  My great-grandparents seemed to be just as liberal and all my great-uncles and aunts are equally as easy-going.  Score for Eastern Ky family virtues!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 7:42PM #4
Ursyl
I doubt very much that they'd be pleased.
The cultural aspects would be fine, but the spiritual? not so much.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2009 - 12:40PM #5
Ladyanastasia

Hmmm.... I never had the privilege of meeting a lot of my extended family. So, I don't know how exactly they'd react.

My biological father is nothing more than a name giver and sperm donor, so, I can't say that I'd really care how that side of the family would react.

My mothers family was not a very religious one. The only mention of any religious affiliation with either of them was on my Grandpa's dog tags, which noted pentecostal as his religion, but, nothing more than that. Do I think that he'd object to my  current path, no, I honor him in what I do.

My Step father, who was the primary father figure in my life, was Hawaiian Japanese, while he wasn't' a very religious or overly spiritual person, I was encouraged to do my own thing. Do I think he would disagree with my path? No, he never had a problem with it when he was here, and, skipping his parents, we end up back to relatives who had some of the indigenous Hawaiian beliefs or those who practiced Shinto. So, I know they wouldn't have any problem with my current path.

Amare Et Sapere Vix Deo Conceditur
Even a God Finds It Hard to Love and Be Wise At 

http://paganmystics.ning.com/
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook