Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gnostisim alive and well?
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 11:35AM #1
Greatest I am

Diarmuid wrote:

Gnosticism would be more a philosophy rather than a religion, though it sometimes displaces people from the faith that they practice within it.
My mother was more of a New Age Spiritualist/Christian, though has slowly conformed to what we could see as a Gnostic Christian.

You would be right if gnosis did not lead to God. It does.
That is likely why the ancients called themselves Gnostic Christians.

When you reach gnosis, you will know the difference.

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 2:29PM #2
Greatest I am
dup

dup
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 2:48PM #3
Greatest I am

EagleKnight wrote:

Gnostisism in it's early days was as splintered as all Christian faiths. There were Christian Gnostics as mentioned with Clement and Origin. They like all Christian faiths of the time varied in Christiological beliefs.

So, I guess Gnostisism is still alive may be a partial truth. A very narrow stream of Gnostisism is alive and well. Just as a very narrow stream of Christianity is alive and well.

The good news I suppose is that other streams are growing, bringing about new thoughts and understanding to the teachings that are already widely known.

Gnostics were more prone to accept and indeed enjoy decent. They were not literalists and like to debate anything. Part of their charm.
Not like the Orthodox, my way or go to hell brand of religion. Shows good Judaic roots. 

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 2:55PM #4
Greatest I am

Mareczku wrote:

What faiths or denominations are Gnostic today?  Are there any or are the Gnostics parts of many faiths?

Peace - Mareczku

As I understand it they originally took the title of Gnostic Christians because the early Orthodox church had basically consolidated all of the known religions under their corporate umbrella so to speak. The bible was not read literally by Gnostics but it was weird enough for them to use to study both good and evil from the one book.
There are many scriptures where the reader has to decide if it is a Christ that is speaking out or an Antichrist. All Bibles are good for thought.   

regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:00PM #5
Greatest I am

Xianmyst wrote:

Mary Magdalene, Salome, Junia, John and Jesus were Gnostic.

Gnosticism is the soul of Christianity.  Gnostics live and experience Christianity, as opposed to “believing”, “criticizing” and forcing others to “believe”.   As much as Shekinah (the Holy Spirit, the Comforter) is the warm, loving, nurturing experience of God, Gnostics tend to love others with all of their heart and mind and soul.  As much as Gnostics use meditation/ contemplation to experience unity with Shekinah, it is that which gives them the Virtue to share with others. The Cathars lived well with Jews and Muslims and others in their midst.  There is a place for everyone at a Gnostic table.

May the peace of Shekinah be upon you

Well said.

One small thing though, I believe that the actual Biblical characters were considered to be archetypes. Gnostics did not read the scripture literally.

After all, if they did then Jesus/God would have been excommunicated for using Noah's genocidal flood against mankind. not good for Jesus and his reputation of love.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:06PM #6
Greatest I am

boldly_question wrote:

One could argue Gnosticism has always been alive and well in the sense of individual spiritual enlightenment, similar to traditional Christians speaking of the Holy Spirit entering their lives.

True.
Even when I was a non believer at heart, I was a Gnostic.

If you consider all those that are soft believers of whatever faith that are not quite sure that they follow the right God then you could say that Gnosticism is the largest Church in the world. It's adherents just do not use the name.

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:11PM #7
Greatest I am

Al_Jaeger wrote:

Very True. I follow Gnostic paths and read and honor the teachings of Jesus. I do not believe in the resurrection. I do not believe that Jesus was God. In other words, I am no different than some of the old Gnostics.
The new Gnostic churches select only one of the many iterations of the Gnostic faiths.
I see no organized church today following the teachings of the old Gnostic faith.
I read the Gospels and worship the True God my own way. I call myself Pagan only because I can not recite the apostolic Creed. 
Is the Gnostic church alive today? Yes, in the hearts of many they believe in the one God and follow the teachings of jesus but do not foolow the newly invented churches of today.

Jesus divorced from divinity has some good qualities as a prophet and Rabbi but he is written up as inconsistent.

One minute he is telling us all to love each other and the next tells us to hate all in the world.
I don't like his turning the other cheek either. it might work for a small infraction like a cheek slap but it sure goes out the window if some one rapes your wife. What do you do then, offer your daughter. See what I mean.

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:20PM #8
Greatest I am

peterthesplitfish wrote:

Shalom Everyone,

First of all Gnosticism is not a religion. I direct you to this website and you choose your path. http://www.ebionite.com/

For the true Gnostic "knows" for that is what it is as much as the work one does to reach higher. The body is just a vessel for the true self that is and was and is to come again. Our true self is a being of light not the organic body you inhabit in this moment. The body is of the earth and will return to the earth and would not be except for the light that gives you life in this moment, but most live in spiritual sleep unaware of what is around the body that is the true teacher, Son of Man, Logos, or Teacher of Righteousness. Yeshua became one with his soul-self and this is what made him different than you and I. NOT a god, but organic man resurrected or changed while alive to become one with the higher self.

Peter M.

Give your head a shake.

You say it is not a religion and then speak of souls and reincarnation and beings of light.
The true Gnostic know that his quest will lead to God. Not the super God that Christians have invented but more of a cosmic consciousness.

Gnostics also have no belief in reincarnation.

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2009 - 3:31PM #9
Greatest I am

*Thoughts* wrote:

This is my first time posting here on Beliefnet, I'm still trying to get a feel for the board. 

What can i say, other than I'm a Gnostic Christian, a Seeker.  I've followed The Path for what seems like an eternity, and still consider myself  a humble novice.  I have taken a vow of silence, not to discuss God or Christ with others that are not Chirstian Gnostics, as it is written.  For the enimies of the Chirstian Gnostics are the Senseless, they will use your words against  you and The Faith, as it is written.

Much I have read on here has left me disheartened on finding other Christian Gnostics.  But I refuse to believe others have not found The Path, for it is a lonely path indeed.  But if I can offer one bit of advice, that does not break my vow, it is that those who seek The Path, must find The Question and The Anwser.  For that is the famous "secret" so often heard of.  If one has gained Salvation thru Christ, you will know The Anwser.  But The Question is the harder of the two.  It is not on Wilkspedia, you can't google it, only by seeking and peicing together can you attain The Question.  Long it took to find The Question, and 20 years to remember The Anwser.   They are not hidden, they are their to be found, you just have to make the effort. 

Find them, and I can share what I know.  No, I have not found Gnosis, but understand that finding Gnosis is the end of The Path.   And just being on The Path has scared me greatly, at times filled me with dispair, and given me hope that I can do this...

Gnosis is not the end of the path. it is the beginning of struggle and duty. Knowing or finding God forces us as humans to try to give truth to all men.
I had a kick mental ass aptitude as a non believer but when I reached God I really had to girdle my loins and start to kick.

The battle never ends. This is a gift from God.

Regards
DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook