Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View EGW and the plagiarism claim: a study
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 9:11AM #21
djconklin1950

>By the way critics of the Bible say the Genesis flood was stolen from Gilgamesh flood. So those who criticize Sister White should also accept that the Bible is false since they same is said of the Bible.

Some of them have done that.  That's actually a clue that they have gone off the deep end.

When the critics have proven to be so wrong, so many times, and on some really simple stuff, why should we trust them on the more complex?
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 5:26PM #22
Dconklin

The original study that I sent in looked at 47 authors.  I now have 149.  I intend to look at every single Life of Christ that I can readily get ahold of.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2010 - 7:14PM #23
samuelbb7

I heard this story about Mark Twain.  That he went to a church and when leaving was asked what he thought about the sermon.  He replied I have a book at home with every word you spoke in it.  The Minister asked for the book and a little latter Twain sent him a dictionary.

If people are speaking on the same topic I do not know how they can avoid often sounding alike.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2010 - 7:59PM #24
Dconklin

Sep 6, 2010 -- 7:14PM, samuelbb7 wrote:

If people are speaking on the same topic I do not know how they can avoid often sounding alike.

I had thought that way too!

From my study:

Early Expectations

It was initially assumed that given the average person’s vocabulary of some 20,000 words, given a single topic (the life of Jesus Christ, further narrowed to specific events in His life, in this case, the trial before Pilate and Herod), given the shared perspective of the authors (Protestant vs. Catholic, believer vs. skeptic, etc.), and given the probability of any reader-author being attracted to and therefore recalling and reusing a memorable turn of phrase, one could therefore expect frequent repetition of phraseology among the various authors. Though there were common expressions, such as Pilate being described as "vacillating," Jesus being described as a "religious enthusiast," Jesus answering "not a word," Herod and Pilate’s "curiosity," Pilate’s wife’s "warning"; and the Jesus being condemned as an "innocent man," overall, this assumption did not prove to be true. The variety of phraseology among authors writing on the same subject proved to be far greater than initially expected.

===

I now have 158 authors in my study.  The critics have zip, zilch, nada, zero,

---

The latest whopper w ith respect to plagiarism was:

92. "Read “Paradise Lost” written by John Milton in 1667. For 25 years he studied every book he could find about the Biblical Creation. He wrote his epic poem “Paradise Lost” as a result of those 25 years of study, no vision. Now read all that Ellen wrote about Adam and Eve in the Garden. Odd how it is almost exactly the same story. sometimes whole sentences of John Miltons are used." (August 30, 2010)

And yet I can't find a single sentence; that isn't really surprising since Milton was writing a poem in free verse so there aren't any sentences to begin with!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 7:51PM #25
samuelbb7

Thank you brother.  I really enjoyed the part about paradise lost. That is a tough read.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 8:38PM #26
Dconklin

You're welcome!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 8:20PM #27
Dconklin

My study on Christ before Pilate and Herod now has over 175 authors compared.  And in the chapter on the raising of Lazarus there's almost 100.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2010 - 8:47PM #28
Dconklin

Now I have 184 authors in my study and the one on Lazarus has 100 authors.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook