Page 9 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 7:00PM #81
Tenlionz
[QUOTE=Ursaminor6;933151]While I think the lady TenLionz is discussing made some serious errors in judgement, it is standard practise to have protocols in place regarding smudging. If you don't own the land or building where the ceremony is being performed it is just respectful to mentioned that you are carrying out ceremony to the person who owns the land. If she is the person in charge of the building, than she is the one that respect must be paid to, even if she is a beetch. In issues of protocol, respect must be given for respect's sake... not for the sake of the person being respected.
Believe me, sprinkler systems turning on can have a disasterous affect on a ceremony. And nobody wants to see their Elders in wet, white clothes.[/QUOTE]

Respect iz earned by way of trust not inherent and it certainly doez not "come with the job" You are right about land, and if this waz indeed her land I would have no problem askin her for permission, the fact iz that she attempts to play lord over the land and people Chickasaw.

Ten lionz
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 7:26PM #82
Ursaminor6
I'm more of the opinion that respect is reflected, and you can make yourself more reflective by polishing yourself up, but I get what you're saying and wouldn't disagree with you in regards to this woman. However, when it comes to protocol... respect doesn't have to be earned if they are in a position that, due to protocol, deserves respect. A  ceremony that started without respect being paid to all that was due, even to the 'officials' we don't like, will not be, for lack of a better word, pure. A ceremony needs to be self-sufficent, and sometimes respect, when it comes to protocol, is invoiced. IMHO, however, respect that is reflected freely is worth more than that which is given because protocol calls fo it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 7:44PM #83
Tenlionz
Yes my Brother, I know all the political protocol, which we know addz up to a fart in a wind storm at the end of the day, because true respect and bending the knee because we must are two very separate realitiez. I respect my Elder and would die to protect him/her but a political figure that demandz respect due to protocol may bleed out at my feet while I tip beerz and giggle.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 8:12PM #84
Ursaminor6
Protocol is kept due to MY need to give meaning to what I am doing. I don't do anything because people demand it. When it comes to ceremony I do things because that is the way to do the ceremony and the pillars the ceremony needs in order to rest on a secure foundation.
I can certainly concede that what I'm saying may not apply to your situation. But I've seen Elders honour someone in ceremony that they do not necessarily consider 'friend', due to the needs of that ceremony. And making peace with the 'owners' of the land is certainly an important part of any ceremony.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2008 - 11:58AM #85
Tenlionz
making peace with the 'owners' of the land is certainly an important part of any ceremony. /////---absolutely, and the sooner she makes peace with the Nation the better off she will be. Although she may end up being a great example of what not to do and how our people react to a non- NDN tryin to tell us what to do or what not to do when it comez to our traditions. And maybe that's a good thing.

Ten lionz
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2008 - 8:10PM #86
Ursyl
Seems to me too that that would be a very good thing.

I think she forgot just who is working for whom, in a very bad way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 9 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook