Switch to Forum Live View Contemplating Winter
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 6:02AM #1
TygerTyger
Autumn’s coming to an end and you can feel Winter in the air; definitely colder. The sky is that monotonous grey that seems to stretch from horizon to horizon with no variation. All the birds seem to have disappeared, no wagtails, sparrows or magpies; although I did see a Kestrel on the way into work this morning.

I think that in the past I would have considered this as the time of the year when the natural world seems to die, not literally, it just seems to withdraw from everyday contact; but not this year.

I don’t know why but I feel life all around me just as strongly as any of the warmer seasons. It does not feel that life is withdrawing to warmer climes so much as coiling up like a spring, full of energy and vitality, waiting to burst forth again.

The landscape is not dying, it’s changing. Animals and plants have either moved on or adapted to meet the coming cold spell, but they have not deserted these northern climes. It might not be so easy to see them anymore, except the v-formation of geese heading south the skies seem bare, but life is still very much there. In fact it feels even stronger. Perhaps that is because it has to be strong to survive the winter?

I find it reassuring to feel this and wish my wife could sense it too because she gets SAD at this time of the year, but I never do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2008 - 2:17PM #2
Nightwriterx
Hello from the South, Tyger Tyger! Although it is actually cold here today (by Florida standards anyway) I have to live vicariously through your description of winter. It's still fully autumn here, and winter won't be here for another month or two, however, the past few evenings I've noticed flocks of birds coming from the north. This tells me it's definitely winter somewhere. :)

I'm sorry about your wife. My Mom has SAD too and has to set up artificial lighting in her office to help her through it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 7:43AM #3
TygerTyger
We've just had our first weather warning for snow, I expect the whole country to come grinding to a halt when the first flake hits the ground! That's usual for Britain!

I wouldn't mind being in Florida right now though!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 2:58PM #4
Nightwriterx
I'd love to switch! You can visit Florida (it's 68 degrees right now), and I can see snow for the first time in years! lol
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook