Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Doesn't placing a board for a fictional movie religion
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 4:33PM #1
mathaytace
cheapen the board and waste valuable server space?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 4:34PM #2
mountain_man
[QUOTE=mathaytace;888299]cheapen the board and waste valuable server space?[/QUOTE]
No more than your post has wasted space.

How is what you say a "fictional movie religion" any different than any other religion?
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 4:43PM #3
mathaytace
Because other religions are made up of believers who take their faith seriously. I love SciFi (Trek is better than wars), but its annoying giving people swinging plastic lightsabers and making up fake names the same status as Sikhs, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Jews.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 6:42PM #4
mountain_man
[QUOTE=mathaytace;888320]Because other religions are made up of believers who take their faith seriously.

So? How do you know that those claiming to be Jedi do not take their religion seriously? And just because someone takes their religion seriously, does not mean I have to.

I love SciFi (Trek is better than wars), but its annoying giving people swinging plastic lightsabers and making up fake names the same status as Sikhs, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Jews.[/QUOTE]
I find "Sikhs, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Jews" to be just as annoying. Why should they get special status? They are equal with the Jedis - they're all just a made up story.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 10:19PM #5
mathaytace
The difference is, Sikhs, Christians, Muslims Hindus and Jews, base their life on their faith. "Jedi" is a silly joke.

When I say I am a Christian, I am expressing a key and central part of my personality.

A real religion is a way of life, Star Wars is a hobby.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 10:45PM #6
mountain_man
[QUOTE=mathaytace;888927]The difference is, Sikhs, Christians, Muslims Hindus and Jews, base their life on their faith. "Jedi" is a silly joke.

I see no difference.

When I say I am a Christian, I am expressing a key and central part of my personality.

Why can't you allow others to do the same?

A real religion is a way of life, Star Wars is a hobby.[/QUOTE]
A religion is a fantasy based on a myth. Star Wars is a fantasy based on a myth. No difference.

There is one difference though.... I don't see any Jedi on the christian forums whining about the christian forums being a waste of time and energy. The Jedi seem to have more class than that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 8:52AM #7
mathaytace
eh, good point.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 8:52AM #8
mathaytace
eh, good point.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 2:22PM #9
SecondSonOfDavid
Perhaps I can illuminate.

You may have noticed that there are a great many different sects and denominations, even within a religion. Ever wonder why? I think it's because we are all searchers, individuals yet a community. the Jedi are simply making use of a new way, similar to the old yet distinct in certain aspects.

I am a practicing Jedi, of the Realist school. Training for me is both individual and community, reflecting the yin/yang of the world in which we live as well as the character of our social structure. Our practice is not about fighting, much less trying to play out roles from a movie, but finding inner strength and accomplishing the full personal identity through work and meditation.

Hope that helps.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 23, 2011 - 3:42PM #10
Mathonwy

I wish you guys were joking about being Jedi, but I know that you're not.

I have to agree with the OP here, however ineloquent and biased his words might have been on this issue.  Jedi-ism (or whatever one might choose to call it) is a made up religion from a popular movie franchise.  The difference between that and "real" religions is that "real" religions (for lack of a more appropriate term) are generated from cultural practices and the spiritual teachings of actual people (and not from the scripts of movies and the emulation of fantasy characters and events).  

If Star Wars, as a film series, was able to inspire you to seek some sort of spiritual path, that's wonderful.  But I can't help but think that even a self-professed Jedi is being at least a little tongue-in-cheek about it, or, in other words, not completely serious.  Better to invent your own religion to suit your beliefs than to mimic one from a movie script.  I'd like to give you some latitude on this one, but I don't see how you can justify it without using some sort of ecumenical sophist rhetoric of "Why not?"  For me that isn't good enough.

And speaking of Star Trek, if there are Jedi I'm surprised there aren't Klingon warriors following Kah'less on these forums.  Then again, there probably are.  They have Klingon dictionaries on Amazon, after all...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook