Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Buddhism and Transsexuality
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 9:37PM #1
autumntastic
Hi everyone! I was just wondering what the general Buddhist view was on transsexualism? I know that a lot of American sects would take a more liberal approach, but I was wondering if there is any Buddhist doctrine that speaks out against it? I surely hope there isn't, but if there is I would like to be informed at any rate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 11:44PM #2
austex
Not as far as I know.  Years ago, I was in contact with a FtM Buddhist practitioner, but we lost touch several years ago now.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 6:36AM #3
Cinorjer
"The Vinaya Pitaka, the ancient Buddhist texts that define the rules for Buddhist monks and nuns, record two incidences of sex change that a monk and a nun had gone through. A group of monks and nuns bring the two incidences to the Buddha’s notice. The Buddha accepts their changed status. He allows the former male disciple who became a female to live with female disciples, and the former female disciple to live with males."

I am too lazy this morning to actually wade through the sutra to find this passage, but this is often quoted when questions about sexual identity and Buddhism are brought up.

In reality, how transexuals are treated in a Buddhist community is more a matter of cultural bias than any rules or doctrine.  And as a side note, I seem to remember that one of the first "female to male" surgical transgenders ended up a monk in a Tibetan Buddhist temple.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 11:21PM #4
autumntastic
Thank you, both of you, for your information. I am very happy to hear it, and as I know religions often tack on things long after they were created, I know that modern cultures would try and weave such transphobia into religious doctrines. I am glad to read what you both wrote.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2008 - 5:34PM #5
Bob0
A Young woman wearing many strings of beads raised her hand when Suzuki asked for questions. "Suzuki Roshi, what is sex?"

Once you say sex, everything is sex," he answered.

FROM TO SHINE ONE CORNER OF THE WORLD
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2008 - 2:55PM #6
franniemay
[QUOTE=Canid Ceramicus;927149]"If it looks like a duck & it quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck!" - Groucho Marx[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you are saying here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 10:16AM #7
bddh
I think, for myself, that it would be accepting of all people and their ideas as well.  Not because they are one way or another, rather as there is a lesson there.  Consider, if you will, that in the aspect there is no self or person, it is just that those who are wanting to be the opposite sex, are just changing the clothing that they percieve is their body.  Who they are has not changed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 1:24PM #8
jrcoll
If it is an issue then you have not gone beyond mindbody identification
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 1:24PM #9
jrcoll
If it is an issue then you have not gone beyond mindbody identification
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 2:34PM #10
RenGalskap
Hi CC,

Welcome.

[QUOTE=Canid Ceramicus;937326]And leaning on one religious dogma or another won't help either.[/Quote]

We have a post from someone who says she's TS and appears to claim that Buddhism did help.

The only TS I know is happily UU. Some people find religion helpful. :)

[QUOTE=Canid Ceramicus;937326]If you didn't like the Groucho Marx quote...[/QUOTE]

No one said they didn't like the quote. Someone asked what you were trying to say by it. You gave no context and it wasn't clear what looked and quacked like a duck. The person who asked wasn't the only one who wondered what you were talking about. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook