Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2008 - 11:27PM #1
gorm_sionnach
This may very well touch on an existing/older thread but...

How did you wind up where you are now? How did you come into Paganism? Love of Mythology? Connectedness with nature? Spiritually curious? Born into it? Family member involved? Friends involved? Saw a film/tv show? Randomly picked up a book? Your previous faith not doing it for you? All the Cool kids were doing it? All the cool kids weren't doing it? Divine inspiration? Surfing the internet at the right time?

I have a rather original and seemingly tawdry/fluffy story of my own, which I will share later (for those of you who may actually be interested about some random stranger on the interweb).
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 1:59PM #2
tameless_heart
My mom read tarot and did "witchcraft" all through out my childhood. My granny is Native American. My great-great grandmother wasa Swedish fortune teller- it just was in my blood. I was never forbidden to study or read about anything so I took to paganism like a duck to water. The only struggle I did have was trying to come out of the cliche broomclosest. I went to a friend's bible study and renounced Christianity that same night. My mother still considers herself ironically a staunch catholic. She thinks I"m Wiccan (which isn't quite right, but it gets the point across to the family), but she's ok with it. I've had a long complicated set of life experiences that would make a great movie, and all these just sort of solidified to me what I was.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 3:15PM #3
gorm_sionnach
I think a lot of the stories will encompass some degree of exiting the janitors cupboard...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 6:21PM #4
tameless_heart
Very true. How did you find your path Gorm?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2008 - 7:02PM #5
gorm_sionnach
Alright, so my family was never especially religious. My father was in in terms of Judeo-Christian values, but that was about as fa as it went. I on the other hand was fairly athiestic as a youth and briefly as a teen. However I had been a member of Scouts Canada since Cubs (i/m not sure what the US equivalent is?), and had developed a taste for wilderness and camping. It didn't hurt that I was one of those tree climbing kids... the point is that for as long as I can remember I've felt some affinity with nature.

Keeping this in mind, by the time I reached high school i had become immersed in Geek culture (video games, comics, anime/manga, SF, Tolkien, you know nerdy things.) So when i met another guy who was as into anime as i was, we hit off. He recommended i watch a short ova series called "Ruin Explorers". Now there was a character who was Wiccan. I filed this i the back of my mind, thinking it was some kind of elf (as the character was). At some point later, I happened to be in a chat room, and someone mentioned they were a Wiccan. So, as this was also a room which occasionally featured RP, i though this was someone who had seen this anime as well. I inquired, and was told that no Wiccan was in reference to a religion, which they proceeded to explain. So reverence for nature and elements of mythology, I was already half way there.

So, several internet searches, book purchases, and a year and a day later, I decided on being a Wiccan. That was 10 years ago... needless to say I've refined my beliefs, just a little.

Told you it was an odd tale....:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 4:51PM #6
tameless_heart
Interesting. ^_^ (I thought I smelled a fellow geek. :P)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 6:47PM #7
gorm_sionnach
[QUOTE=Original angel;871630]Could it be because you are atempting to figure out your origin, where the whole thing started. what is spirituality, or more basic you need to understand?
original angel[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are asking... I actually gave my silly origin a few posts ago...? I ask out of general interest, not to find myself... I already know where i am:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 11:51PM #8
Ursyl
I was questioning things religiously in college. I was finding that I basically did not find Christianity to make much sense. Right around that time, I read Seven Arrows, which got my mind going in a different direction.

By that summer after graduation, I left Christianity/Catholicism and started on my current path. I got involved with a women's circle. We met weekly for discussion and meditation and very simple ritual.

What kind of Pagan am I? I try to be as historically knowledgeable as I can be, and am still learning. Probably always will be.  I lean Celtic in that I find some resonance with that part of my ancestry. I'd like to learn more about Slavic pre-Christianity too, but haven't found sources I can fully trust yet or that have more than very sketchy info.

Since joining our UU a few years back, I've found an eclectic group of modern Pagan with whom I can celebrate my spirituality. We come from different directions but work out some lovely rituals by respecting each others' ideas.

I plan to continue learning on this path.:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2008 - 11:53PM #9
Ursyl
Gorm, I do not find your story silly at all.

I have no doubt that my reading of LOTR, Narnia, and other sci-fi/fantasy laid some of the groundwork.

Camping with Girl Scouts over the years too?...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2008 - 9:31AM #10
gorm_sionnach
I can see why someone might think that Angel. I need to continuously remind myself that not everyone is as much of a nerd as I am, not everyone is going to get the secret origins comic book reference... especially if they are not expecting it...:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook