Post Reply
Page 5 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What kind of Pagan are you?
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 10:28PM #41
Eveningrose1397
Posts: 6

Yikes! The whole "Find a Definition" game I see. Ok. I'll bite ;)


Well, I started out as practicing Wicca. Then I kind of bounced and dabbled in Celtic Recon and Hellenismos. But, I think I'm being drawn more now...back to Wicca. Yet, I have no idea WHY.


I believe in the Great Creative Force...whatever you want to call it (Be it God, The Great Spirit-whichever!) ... I believe that this force is made up of masculine and feminine energies, personified as The Mother Goddess (Earth Mother) and the Lord of The Skies, as well as the countless spirits and deities. I believe that all of nature is sacread and that divinity is within all.  


I don't however, like the idea of mix-matching pantheons in ritual, "using" a deity in magic or witchcraft (the gods aren't there for you to TRY to command and summon!) or saying you're a "Celtic Recon." and then go to invoke/evoke "The Triple Goddess"! I know the history of Wicca and the movement sometimes referred to as "Neo-Paganism", and I'm perfectly OK with that fact. It doesn't (anymore at least) put a damper on my faith. If anything, it makes me more critical and skeptical. ;) It's a little bit of old and a little bit of new---ya know?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2009 - 9:59AM #42
Caitriona
Posts: 1

Jun 30, 2009 -- 10:28PM, Eveningrose1397 wrote:

Well, I started out as practicing Wicca. Then I kind of bounced and dabbled in Celtic Recon and Hellenismos.


I believe in the Great Creative Force...


I believe that this force is made up of masculine and feminine energies


I believe that all of nature is sacread and that divinity is within all.  


I don't however, like the idea of mix-matching pantheons in ritual, "using" a deity in magic or witchcraft (the gods aren't there for you to TRY to command and summon!) 



I agree with you about a lot of things. I too have dabbled in Celtic Recon and am returning, not to Wicca, but to a Goddess-centered path. I don't like mixing pantheons, I don't like "using" a deity. I believe in a great creative force of made of both masculine & feminine energies. Or rather that it is gender neutral, really ... but I don't need to to refer to as two, I just call it "goddess" because that's how it's easiest for me to relate to.


I guess "goddess centered" would be the best label for me right now. Or a "not sure" ticky box option.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2009 - 9:24PM #43
gorm-sionnach
Posts: 1,663

Jun 30, 2009 -- 10:28PM, Eveningrose1397 wrote:


Yikes! The whole "Find a Definition" game I see. Ok. I'll bite ;)


Well, I started out as practicing Wicca. Then I kind of bounced and dabbled in Celtic Recon and Hellenismos. But, I think I'm being drawn more now...back to Wicca. Yet, I have no idea WHY.


I believe in the Great Creative Force...whatever you want to call it (Be it God, The Great Spirit-whichever!) ... I believe that this force is made up of masculine and feminine energies, personified as The Mother Goddess (Earth Mother) and the Lord of The Skies, as well as the countless spirits and deities. I believe that all of nature is sacread and that divinity is within all.  


I don't however, like the idea of mix-matching pantheons in ritual, "using" a deity in magic or witchcraft (the gods aren't there for you to TRY to command and summon!) or saying you're a "Celtic Recon." and then go to invoke/evoke "The Triple Goddess"! I know the history of Wicca and the movement sometimes referred to as "Neo-Paganism", and I'm perfectly OK with that fact. It doesn't (anymore at least) put a damper on my faith. If anything, it makes me more critical and skeptical. ;) It's a little bit of old and a little bit of new---ya know?  




I would certainly hope that CR's wouldn't be invoking the triple Goddess...

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 3:52PM #44
NightLad
Posts: 23

Q: "You're Pagan? What's that?"


 


Like many of us, I’ve spent a great deal of time questioning and distilling the nature of my beliefs. Thus, I could say a lot on the topic, however, in general, I find that people do not want [and are not interested in] a lecture. So over the years I’ve managed to distil my POV into a single sentence:


 


A: "It means I draw my spiritual influences from pan-European* belief systems."


 


Typically that ends the questioning. As is, the topic rarely comes up. I’ve only been pressed to elaborate a couple of times. I think I answered with something along the lines of:


 


“My spiritual practices come from the indigenous beliefs of my ancestors prior to the advent of aggressive foreign religions.”


 


And of course, I say it with a smile. That's important! :)


 


* European applies to me. Insert whatever geographic region that applies to you, or if you are a mix-and-match Pagan, perhaps “pan-cultural” would suffice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 1:48AM #45
John_T_Mainer
Posts: 1,658

I am an Asatruar, a Heathen, an Odinist, or a Norse Reconstructionist Pagan.  There are groups in the community who split doctrinal hairs to claim one of those titles alone, but pretty much all of them fit my practice just fine.


I am Freyr, or elected leader of the Heathen Freehold Society of British Columbia.  We are a group dedicated to the practice of the faith of our Northern European ancestors, embracing all of the distinct tribal traditions of our varied folk.  There are many ways and even many names by which our folk knew and interacted with the gods, the ancestors and the wights (or spirits of the land), and we seek to be a place for all of those who walk these varied paths can come together in common practice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2009 - 12:35PM #46
Spooky
Posts: 2

Oct 29, 2008 -- 11:15PM, gorm_sionnach wrote:

So your a Pagan... could be a little more specific;)  Since the definition of Pagan gets thrown around and analyzed and scrutinized, dissected and digested all the time, perhaps a different tack would be in order. Where do you fall in the wide and sparkly mosaic (I like this so much better than umbrella, and maybe you don't, if so, too bad for you) that is Paganism. Are you a Celtic Recon? Asatru? Witch? Wiccan? Druid? Shaman? Polytheist? Hellenic Recon? Pan-Pagan? Dianic? Reclaiming? Goddess centered? God Centered? One of a hundred other groupings I've missed?



Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2009 - 12:42PM #47
Spooky
Posts: 2

I dont believe we have to label people / pagans etc. why do we have to tell whats in our hearts and souls,  " i dont follow any paticular pagan/ wiccan way, i use a bit of the all, I'm just verry connected to the earth and sky and all the things in between.  bright blessings to all.   GEM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2009 - 7:53AM #48
CreakyHedgewitch
Posts: 1,244

GEM,


You raised an interesting question. Let me offer my perception on this.


Labels are very important within a noun-centric language like English. One cannot go through the day without using labels including such words as hearts and souls, earth, sky etc. These are all labels. They are a shorthand description that enables an English-speaker to figure out where someone else fits in the big picture or what part of that big picture someone is referring to. Sometimes labels do create misconceptions along the way if folks define the same label differently. Souls is an interesting example of this, by the way. When labels are not provided or offered, as personal labels are always a choice, English-speakers unconsciously will either apply a label from what they perceive of another or they will ask for a description from which to extrapolate such. For those who choose to share what they are, a label such as Pagan or more specifically Eclectic Pagan, Dianic Pagan, Celtic Pagan etc. provides to a shorthand description of the major themes that frame what an individual believes.


When you wrote, I use a bit of the all, I instantly 'labelled' you as an Eclectic Pagan. Innocent That describes to me the major theme of your wisdom walk.


C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2009 - 1:36PM #49
Goldeneagle
Posts: 5

Hi all, a newcomer here.


Being a solitary type who doesn't care much for labels, I have no idea what 'type' I am! The more reading I do, it seems to get more and more convoluted... I suppose I'm something like a hedge witch/kitchen witch/hearth witch.


Here are my beliefs in a nutshell.


I do believe in....

  • Living in tune with Nature
  • Celebrating the turning of the seasons and their meaning/themes, in the context of the 8 traditional sabbats
  • An overall energy/spirit/force which is present in everything, and the influences & interactions between these. This includes element-type energies.
  • Working with these natural forces, in the context of spellwork, healing etc
  • Evolution, the Big Bang etc (until scientists come up with another theory)

I do not believe in...

  • Specific deity/ies
  • Organised religion

I'd be really interested in people's opinions... any thoughts?


=)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2009 - 2:35PM #50
gorm-sionnach
Posts: 1,663

Nov 5, 2009 -- 1:36PM, Goldeneagle wrote:


Hi all, a newcomer here.


Being a solitary type who doesn't care much for labels, I have no idea what 'type' I am! The more reading I do, it seems to get more and more convoluted... I suppose I'm something like a hedge witch/kitchen witch/hearth witch.


Here are my beliefs in a nutshell.


I do believe in....

  • Living in tune with Nature
  • Celebrating the turning of the seasons and their meaning/themes, in the context of the 8 traditional sabbats
  • An overall energy/spirit/force which is present in everything, and the influences & interactions between these. This includes element-type energies.
  • Working with these natural forces, in the context of spellwork, healing etc
  • Evolution, the Big Bang etc (until scientists come up with another theory)

I do not believe in...

  • Specific deity/ies
  • Organised religion

I'd be really interested in people's opinions... any thoughts?


=)




"Pantheistic Witch" comes to mind, albeit not every religion/spirituality needs label itself in regards to its posistion on deity.


Though I assume your statement "I do not believe in Organized religion" is more of a statement on the propriety of religious institutions, rather than whether they actually exist, whereas your statement about deity is about whether they exist or not?


Any particular reason why you do not believe in the existence of specific deities?

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook