6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 5:52PM #1
Kalzera
All of the great religions of the past have had some organized effort on their part to obtain one distince scripture. Of all the writings availible, the Council of Nicea chose just a few to compromise the Christian New Testament, just a a council of Jews before them (long before them) had organized the Tanakh. Muslims obtained the Holy Qur'án under ‘Uthmān ibn ‘Affān, who wanted one organized scripture for everyone to share. Buddhists had numerous writings that are grouped together in the Chinese Pali Canon (the vast majority of which has yet to be translated into english, if it ever will be). Zoroastrians even have their own scriptue. Only Hinduism seems to be left out, with numerous texts being designated as '-of God', yet their central text remains one (the Veda).

The Bahá’í Faith gives us a lot of scripture written by the Prophet himself, and his Son and the Guardian. My question is, has there been any attempt or effort to get one book of Bahá’í Scripture that all Bahá’ís can have to read from? If not soon, than perhaps when a larger number of texts have been translated? Or maybe such a thing exists already?
However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 6:43AM #2
Kalzera
Quite a few typos and words used incorrectly....

Distinct* Scripture, not distince...along with a few others...but I'm sure the essential question comes across.
However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 6:43AM #3
Kalzera
Quite a few typos and words used incorrectly....

Distinct* Scripture, not distince...along with a few others...but I'm sure the essential question comes across.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 12:52PM #4
Sanareth
I was also wondering this. If there is no relevant answer, could someone reccomend the best scripture for someone considering becoming a Baha'i to read?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2008 - 7:03PM #5
Ruhi19
[QUOTE=Sanareth;799162]I was also wondering this. If there is no relevant answer, could someone reccomend the best scripture for someone considering becoming a Baha'i to read?[/QUOTE]

There are too many to combine them into one book.  Anything which is verified to come from the writings of Baha'u'llah or The Bab (as the Prophets) would need to be included.  I estimate that I personally have over 2,000 pages (without duplicates in compilations such as The Gleanings of Baha'u'llah) for just those two.  If you add in the writings of Abdu'l-Baha, there would be more than 2,000 additional pages and probably about 2000 more for Shoghi Effendi. 

Abdu'l-Baha is recognized as the Center of the Covenant and authorized Interpreter of the Writings.  Shoghi Effendi was appointed as Guardian of the Faith. 

There are two short books:  The Hidden Words and the Seven Valleys which you could start with. 

The Hidden Words are short verses which have "taken the inner essence" of the teachings of the Prophets of old and stated them in short, brief verses.  Here is the first one:

HE IS THE GLORY OF GLORIES

This is that which hath descended from the realm of glory, uttered by the tongue of power and might, and revealed unto the Prophets of old. We have taken the inner essence thereof and clothed it in the garment of brevity, as a token of grace unto the righteous, that they may stand faithful unto the Covenant of God, may fulfill in their lives His trust, and in the realm of spirit obtain the gem of Divine virtue.

1. O SON OF SPIRIT!
My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting.

Another possibility is the Kitab-i-Iqan (Book of Certitude) which is a letter from Baha'u'llah to the uncle of The Bab who wanted to know how his Nephew could be the Promised One.  Baha'u'llah describes the characteristics of a Prophet of God and how we can tell Who is True and who is not. 

Both books are available from Amazon.com.

If you want a web source, you can read the Kitab-i-Iqan, go to:  http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/KI/

For the Hidden Words go to:  http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/HW/

For an Intro to the Faith, go to:  http://www.bahai.us/

For questions, feel free to come back here.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook