Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Atheist witchcraft?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 11:24AM #1
Dogmafreehappily
I don't believe in any deities, but I do believe in the force of nature and the universe.

Is it possible to be an atheist Witch/Pagan? I could be along the lines of pantheism, but I see myself more as an atheist.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 7:28AM #2
CreakyHedgewitch
[QUOTE=Dogmafreehappily;626130]I don't believe in any deities, but I do believe in the force of nature and the universe.

Is it possible to be an atheist Witch/Pagan? I could be along the lines of pantheism, but I see myself more as an atheist.[/QUOTE]

It is up to you. Self-define Witchcraft and/or Paganism as being atheist. Be prepared to deal with those who define it differently. Try to avoid inclusive language when describing your self-definition.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 7:28AM #3
CreakyHedgewitch
[QUOTE=Dogmafreehappily;626130]I don't believe in any deities, but I do believe in the force of nature and the universe.

Is it possible to be an atheist Witch/Pagan? I could be along the lines of pantheism, but I see myself more as an atheist.[/QUOTE]

It is up to you. Self-define Witchcraft and/or Paganism as being atheist. Be prepared to deal with those who define it differently. Try to avoid inclusive language when describing your self-definition.

C.H.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 4:36PM #4
kraventhearcher
Creaky is right.

I would just add that you should avoid defining yourself. It will only promote barriers between you and the things you might like to learn...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 3:49AM #5
Nomad

Jul 15, 2008 -- 11:24AM, Dogmafreehappily wrote:

I don't believe in any deities, but I do believe in the force of nature and the universe.   Is it possible to be an atheist Witch/Pagan? I could be along the lines of pantheism, but I see myself more as an atheist.

Well you have ask two separate questions with the assumption that both are the  same but they are not.  Yes its possible to be an atheist a witch as witchcraft  is a practice and not a religion.  I would say its not possible to be a pagan  and an atheist as modern paganism uses gods in many references. 

If you are asking about spirituality and atheist that's a more in depth  subject, but just in case yes you can be spiritual and believe in no god as  well. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 8:15AM #6
CreakyHedgewitch

Nomad,

"Yes its possible to be an atheist a witch as witchcraft  is a practice and not a religion.  I would say its not possible to be a pagan  and an atheist as modern paganism uses gods in many references."

I would suggest that it is more accurate to say that it is not cmmon to be a pagan and also an atheist. It is not however impossible.

Paganism is and remains essentially self-defined individually or consensually. It has never been defined as a singular religion or faith. The scope of what may be included in a self-definition of Paganism is highly diverse. Depending on how one self-defines Paganism, it is therefore possible to self-identify as a Pagan and also be an atheist.

I would also like tp point out that modern Witches are Pagans as well. Therefore a Traditional Witch who does not relate to deities but only elementals and spirits or a Vocational Witch who relates to none of these could technically be considered a Pagan atheist.

Something to consider,

C.H.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 12:44PM #7
Goldeneagle

Hey Dogmafreehappily,

I agree wholeheartedly, and despite it being unconventional, I am quite happy being athiest, witch and pagan. Though I'm very reluctant to use labels, as things are always more complex than a label can ever convey, and I think there's nothing better than everyone seeing things in their own, individual way.

I've done quite a bit of waffling about my beliefs in more detail here - hope it can be of some interest to you.

community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/4...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 5:41PM #8
Willow333

I consider myself a Witch. I follow the Celtic Wiccan path.

Willow

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 11:34AM #9
Urukai

Hello Dogmafreehappily,

Just wanted to say your not alone in the world...from an occultist...a Pagan...A Witch and an Atheist...

I try not to use labels often but sometimes they can help though as someone else has already said usually things are so much more complicated then a label can get across...

Peace and Much Love

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 4:15PM #10
Nomad

I have considered my self to be a witch sense I was 14 years old,  in my 50s  now and still do.  For a long time I was what you might call a seeker where  religion was concerned , I gave my self through my travels to the lights as I  came to them.   All the while off and on making a heavy study of mysticism and  especially witchcraft due to my own sensitivity that revealed things that the  normal world could not explain.   At some point I understood that the gods of  human kind were creations of the humans them selves.  Sometimes collectively and  sometimes less so.  This did not make them less real I think to the believer [  think of a grand kind of group thought form gathering energy over the  centuries].  For me though I think my mind could not help but pierce the veil  of religion and I realized at some point  that the great truth beyond our world was simply  not in the ability of human kind to understand.

More to the point of the OP, there is Christian witchcraft, Voodoo, Hindu and  Native American, Indo Chinese and much more ... all practicing forms of the  craft and yes [though fewer these days] the craft with out any gods at all.   I  remember earlier days of Wicca when it was not so bound in absolutes and dogma.   There were many schools of though then, following teachings of some who were  published and had organizations, not all the same.    Yet even still most recognized that no one  can claim ownership of symbols, terms and basic ritual form just because it had  been adopted by them even if over time.   That can no longer be said  unfortunately, now many of the young of neo paganism in all its forms more often  than not will dictate to others how they must view witchcraft and what it all  means as if there was only one perspective and it had always been that way.

Its almost like a paradox in time where the early practitioners were trying  to get out from under the yoke of the church only later to create their own and  behave much like Christians in witches clothing.

Sense the current culture seems to be more attached to labeling than the 60's  - the mid 80s perhaps godless witchcraft should come up with its own name.  I  find that people often treat you better if they can find a niche you belong  in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook