Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View muslim woman marrying People of the Book
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 1:23AM #1
tinyone664
The Quran says that Muslim women should not be allowed to marry pagans\idolators (pagans\idolators was literally translated by one of the most respected Quranic translators of our time).

so, since this is the case, isnt' it perfectly safe to say that Muslim women may marry People of the Book?

because if Allah (swt) intended to say muslim women can not marry believing People of the Book, then that's exactly what it would have said, instead of pagans\idolators. ....

and there are no mistakes in the Quran...therefore....how is it that so many people think the rule is muslim women may not marry all and any non-muslims?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 8:46AM #2
sazaj36
good question....let the soap box lectures begin.

btw not all of us Muslims believe there is a prohibition concerning who Muslim women can marry.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 1:33PM #3
tinyone664
Well, i've been reading up on a lot of material and seeing all different perspectives on things and as far as the Quran is concerned...i haven't seen anything that says muslim women may not marry true practicing Christians...therefore...why is it that muslim girls are told (even in America) that these marriages are not valid? I am engaged and in this situation..and as its impossible to state every reason why will definetly work...i'll only say that the only problem in our relationship\marriage is the getting married part...and this is due to outdated and very patriarchial opinions and assumptions of my faith.

i've been reading up so much on this and i don't have to justify anything to anyone but Allah...and if there is no problem with that, then what can i do to change the mind of my family to see things with an open heart and mind???

please help if you can

Salaam,
tinyone664
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 11:47PM #4
muaminva
AsSalaamu 'alaikum,
I understand that in matters of the heart it is often desirable to try to interpret things in the light most favorable to our wishes but, it is simply not true that there is no Qur'anic prohibition for a muslimah to marry a person of ahl al-kitab (people of the book).

In Surat al-Baqarah ayah 221 it says very clearly not to allow ones daughter to marry anyone from among al-Mushrikun. It is true that this is used to refer to  the pagan arabs but, if you break down the word you will see that it means those people who practice shirk- attributing partners with Allah (SWA).

It is a basic principle of aqeedah (Islamic Creed) that Christians, Jews, Sabeans, etc are guilty of shirk for various doctrines and practices.  While all share in the common roots of monotheism, they have each deviated from their original teachings enough that they are no longer a part of the deen of Allah (SWA). This is not a minor point for if these religions had not deviated it would not have been necessary for Allah (SWA) to sent the final revelation in the form of the Qur'an to Rasoolullah Muhammad (SAWS).

I understand that this is probably not what you wanted to hear but, it is the truth according to all of the Islamic Mathhab (schools of thought).

Masalaamah
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 1:12AM #5
GraceSA
It is not so clear cut- or there would be consensus on this issue which there isnot.  Just be sure you honestly assess what you believe is true.

Also, even if you are convinced such a marriage is allowed, that does not mean you can convince anyone else. The majority view is that it is not- and most people are uncomfortable deviating from that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 1:12AM #6
sazaj36
Ahal al Kitab or People of the Book...are referred to as separate entitiies from Mushikroon etc...or pagans and kafirs. Jews and Christians held  the same beliefs then as they do now...and yet were allowed to Muslim men(for arguments sake) as Peoples who had received revelation from God...they are never referred to as kafirs or mushikroons in the Quran...so if God doesnt refer to them as such...what gives you the right? If Jews and Chistians are kafirs and mushikroons then they are forbidden for Muslim men to marry as well because MUSLIMS are forbidden from marrying kafirs and mushikroons...period.

What else you got?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 10:06AM #7
muaminva
[QUOTE=sazaj36;617283]Ahal al Kitab or People of the Book...are referred to as separate entitiies from Mushikroon etc...or pagans and kafirs. Jews and Christians held  the same beliefs then as they do now...and yet were allowed to Muslim men(for arguments sake) as Peoples who had received revelation from God...they are never referred to as kafirs or mushikroons in the Quran...so if God doesnt refer to them as such...what gives you the right? If Jews and Chistians are kafirs and mushikroons then they are forbidden for Muslim men to marry as well because MUSLIMS are forbidden from marrying kafirs and mushikroons...period.

What else you got?[/QUOTE]
AsSalaamu 'aliakum,

I recommend that you do a little further study on the subject. While not all scholars agree with this interpretation, it is the majority opinion of each school of thought.

It may also be a good idea for you to study a copy of Tafsir ibn Kathir when it comes to referencing the Qur'an and Sunnah. Both are important in coming to a sound understanding of difficult topics such as this.

'Allah prohibited the believers from marrying Mushrik women who worship idols. Although the meaning is general and includes every Mushrik woman from among the idol worshippers and the People of the Scripture, Allah excluded the People of the Scripture from this ruling. Allah stated:

(Lawfulto you in marriage) are chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given your due dowry, desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wdlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse. (5:5)'

Even this was discouraged by the companions of the Prophet (SAWS).

However it was completely prohibited for a muslimah to marry anyone but a muslim. Later in the passage we read of the various hadith that relate to this subject and its conditions. most specific to this point is the clear statement reported by 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab the man known as the most pious of the Companions of the Prophet (SAWS) and the second Khalifah Rashidun.

'Ibn Jarir related that Zayd bin Wahb said that 'Umar bin Khattab aid, "The muslim man marries the Christian woman, but the Christian man does not marry the Muslim woman."'

While the Qur'an uses the distinction of Ahl al-Kitab, this should not be viewed a sperate classification of people, but rather as a catagory of people falling with in and between the two classifications of believer and no-believer. This is the way the Qur'an and Sunnah consistantly treats them.

May Allah (SWA) bless us all with guidance and understanding of those things that only he knows best. And may we always seek the knowledge he has left for us from his Qur'an as well as the Sunnah and Hadith so that we may be saved from our ignorance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 10:06AM #8
muaminva
[QUOTE=sazaj36;617283]Ahal al Kitab or People of the Book...are referred to as separate entitiies from Mushikroon etc...or pagans and kafirs. Jews and Christians held  the same beliefs then as they do now...and yet were allowed to Muslim men(for arguments sake) as Peoples who had received revelation from God...they are never referred to as kafirs or mushikroons in the Quran...so if God doesnt refer to them as such...what gives you the right? If Jews and Chistians are kafirs and mushikroons then they are forbidden for Muslim men to marry as well because MUSLIMS are forbidden from marrying kafirs and mushikroons...period.

What else you got?[/QUOTE]
AsSalaamu 'aliakum,

I recommend that you do a little further study on the subject. While not all scholars agree with this interpretation, it is the majority opinion of each school of thought.

It may also be a good idea for you to study a copy of Tafsir ibn Kathir when it comes to referencing the Qur'an and Sunnah. Both are important in coming to a sound understanding of difficult topics such as this.

'Allah prohibited the believers from marrying Mushrik women who worship idols. Although the meaning is general and includes every Mushrik woman from among the idol worshippers and the People of the Scripture, Allah excluded the People of the Scripture from this ruling. Allah stated:

(Lawfulto you in marriage) are chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given your due dowry, desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wdlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse. (5:5)'

Even this was discouraged by the companions of the Prophet (SAWS).

However it was completely prohibited for a muslimah to marry anyone but a muslim. Later in the passage we read of the various hadith that relate to this subject and its conditions. most specific to this point is the clear statement reported by 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab the man known as the most pious of the Companions of the Prophet (SAWS) and the second Khalifah Rashidun.

'Ibn Jarir related that Zayd bin Wahb said that 'Umar bin Khattab aid, "The muslim man marries the Christian woman, but the Christian man does not marry the Muslim woman."'

While the Qur'an uses the distinction of Ahl al-Kitab, this should not be viewed a sperate classification of people, but rather as a catagory of people falling with in and between the two classifications of believer and no-believer. This is the way the Qur'an and Sunnah consistantly treats them.

May Allah (SWA) bless us all with guidance and understanding of those things that only he knows best. And may we always seek the knowledge he has left for us from his Qur'an as well as the Sunnah and Hadith so that we may be saved from our ignorance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 1:00PM #9
Ceren
[QUOTE=muaminva;617182]

It is a basic principle of aqeedah (Islamic Creed) that Christians, Jews, Sabeans, etc are guilty of shirk for various doctrines and practices.  While all share in the common roots of monotheism, they have each deviated from their original teachings enough that they are no longer a part of the deen of Allah (SWA). This is not a minor point for if these religions had not deviated it would not have been necessary for Allah (SWA) to sent the final revelation in the form of the Qur'an to Rasoolullah Muhammad (SAWS).
[/QUOTE]

Assalamu `alaykum,
Can you tell me where you got this "basic principle of aqeedah" from (I'm assuming you're talking about major shirk in your post)? The reason I'm asking is because I have studied aqeedah quite a bit (albeit mostly from ash`ari/maturidi scholars) and I did not hear that, especially regarding the jews. Which books of aqeedah  have you studied from?

All the best,
Ceren
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 5:49PM #10
muaminva
[QUOTE=Ceren;618072]Assalamu `alaykum,
Can you tell me where you got this "basic principle of aqeedah" from (I'm assuming you're talking about major shirk in your post)? The reason I'm asking is because I have studied aqeedah quite a bit (albeit mostly from ash`ari/maturidi scholars) and I did not hear that, especially regarding the jews. Which books of aqeedah  have you studied from?

All the best,
Ceren[/QUOTE]
AsSalaamu 'alaikum,

The first place is in the Qur'an in Surah At-Taubah ayah 30-31 where Allah (SWA) accuses them of what is called Shirk-at-Ta'ah (render in obedience to an authority against the direct order of Allah (SWA). Shirk-at-Ta'ah is listed by the scholars as a form of Ash-Shirk-al-Akbar. Also Shirk-ad-Dua or offering prayers to(not for) anyone such as a prophet, rabbi or teacher as a partner to Allah (SWA). As well as Shirk-ar-Ruboobeeyah (Shirk of Association in Lordship).

I do not believe that it gets more basic than the words of Allah (SWA). If you would like other sources please read Tafsir ibn Kathir and the various collections of hadith. For a work in plain English by a native speaker you may find The Fundamentals of Tawheed by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips. He is Canadian originally from Jamaica. He received a degree in Arabic and a B.A. in Usool ad-Deen from Islamic University in Medina as well as an M.A. and PhD. both in Islamic Theology from schools in SA and UK.

I do not currently read Arabic well and am therefore limited to English translations. I received my authority to serve as a Khateeb from Shaikh Muhammad bin Shaikh Saleh al-Askary of Al-Azhar University in Cairo. I am not and do not pretend to be a scholar in my own right. I am merely a preacher and teacher.   

One thing that I think may be causing some distress is the misunderstanding of the nature of shirk. Shirk is a sin. It is an unforgivable sin but, it is not an automatic ticket to eternal damnation as some falsely believe. When Allah (SWA)forgives a sin it is as if it never happened and requires no punishment at all. When a sin is classified as unforgivable like shirk it simply means that the sin is still there when we are judged and will receive some form of punishment tempered by the merciful nature of Allah (SWA). The Qur'an also tells us that the Jews, Christians and Sabeans, etc who are faithful will receive their full reward for their faithfulness. It also does not mean that some Muslims do not engage in these various forms of shirk consciously or unconsciously and therefore  will be punished for those sins. I hope that this explanation serves to clarify any points of disagreement.

masalaamah
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook