Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View muslim woman marrying People of the Book
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 1:26AM #21
Miraj
It's not a matter of not believing that the trinity or belief in Jesus as God is shirk.  It's a matter that Allah has put Christians in our path since the the earliest revelations of the Message were passed to the Arabs.  Allah says He INTENDS for us to believe differently as a test for us. 

Allah allows marriage between Muslims and kitabis.  If that is ok with Him, why do we question it?  The fact is, there was been positive interaction between Muslims and Christians from the beginning of the revelations in Arabia.  For example, Muhammad (pbuh) consulted Khadijah's Christian cousin about the meaning of the first encounter with the Angel Jibraeel.  The persecuted Muslims twice left Mecca for Abysinnia to come under the protection of the Christian king Negus, who treated them with kindness and respect.  Abu Bakr engaged his daughter to a Christian man before it was revealed that she was to marry the Prophet instead.   That the Quran treats ahl al kitab as distinct from pagans is telling in no small way. 

Salaam
Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 11:05AM #22
saix
as you can see there are ayats in the qur'an christians that makes no distiction between Christians and pagans

Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings.(98:6)

"If only they [i.e. Christians] had stood fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that was sent to them from their Lord, they would have enjoyed happiness from every side. There is from among them a party on the right course, but many of them follow a course that is evil" (5:66).

"Oh People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion, nor say of God anything but the truth. Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, was (no more than) a messenger of God, and His Word which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him. So believe in God and His messengers. Say not, 'Trinity.' Desist! It will be better for you, for God is One God, Glory be to Him! (Far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is God as a Disposer of affairs" (4:171).

"The Jews call 'Uzair a son of God, and the Christians call Christ the son of God. That is but a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. God's curse be on them; how they are deluded away from the Truth! They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of God, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary. Yet they were commanded to worship but One God: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to Him! (Far is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him)" (9:30-31).

Unbelievers are those that say: "God is the Messiah, the son of Mary." For the Messiah himself said: "Children of Israel, serve God, my Lord and your Lord." He that worships other gods besides God, God will deny him Paradise,and the fire shall be his home. None shall help the evil-doers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 12:30AM #23
GraceSA
No one is saying Allah approves of Christian doctrine- but Christians-by definition believe in the divinity of Christ and almost all are Trinitarian and were so at the time of the prophet.  For whatever reason Allah grants them a special status in spite of their errors, and it is not for us to second guess him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 11:29PM #24
Cincy
It use to be outlawed in this country for a white woman to marry a man of color.  It was forbidden.  This too was backed by people who attended church and went to Sunday school and loved god just like you and  of course read the bible.

So, when you write these things about a Muslim woman can't marry someone outside of her religion.  It reminds me of the outdated feelings we had in this country not too long ago.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2008 - 9:40PM #25
IDBC
"Islam considers the husband head-of-the-family and therefore
requires that a Muslima cannot marry a non-Muslim because she
will be under the authority of a non-muslim husband
. He may
prevent her from carrying out her religious obligations by
either pressuring her or physically abusing her. But it is not
the sole reason for imposing the restriction. The situation is
considered very damaging for the woman to practise Islam
afterwards and even worse for the kids in such marriages.  There
are NO conditions mentioned under which a Muslim woman IS
allowed to get married or remain married to a non-Muslim husband
after she has accepted Islam. Therefore, even if she has freedom
to practise Islam after marriage, she is NOT allowed to enter
into an inter-faith marriage.

MUSLIM MAN AND NON-MUSLIM WOMAN:

MARRIAGE WITH CHRISTIANS AND JEWS:  The marriages between Muslim
men and CERTAIN non-Muslim women is allowed.[b]  However, certain
restricitions exist on such marriages, especially if they occur
in non-Muslim lands where Islamic law and religion is not
prevailing.

Here I am translating the "fatwaa" from Maulana Muhammad Yousuf
Ludhianvi, a well-known Muslim scholar from Pakistan, answering
a question regarding the shar'aii position of marriages in the
US with non-Muslim women. This question was asked by a Pakistani
Muslim, living in the US, and it appeared in Maulana's column
that is published every Friday in a daily newspaper, "Jang". He
interprets the Islamic law as following:

/******* 1- Non-Muslim women, to whom Muslim men can marry, are
the women from Christian and Jewish religions who are residents
of "Daar-ul-Islam****" nations where Islamic law prevails) and
who are thereby called, "Dhi'mmi" (those who give Jazzia instead
of Zakaat in an Islamic state??), but NOT the residents of "dar
al-kufr" (where the kuffar or non-Islamic rule exist).  To these
women, marriage is allowed but is "mukrooh tanzihi." (I can't
translate it properly)

For further details :

[b][url]http://www.jannah.org/sisters/intermarriage.html
[url]

[color=scarlet}" All the jurisprudents unanimously agree that a MUSLIM woman cannot marry a NON-MUSLIM man.[/url]Allah says (Interpretation of meaning): {And give not (your daughters) in marriage to AL MUSHRIKUN (Polytheists, Pagans, Idolaters, and disbelievers in oneness of Allah and in His Messenger Muhammad, till they believe in Allah}. [2:221] Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): {If you ascertain that they are true believers, send them not back to the disbelievers, they are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them} . [60:10] Because in this marriage, a Muslim woman faces the danger of Kufr, as her husband might influence her. Because a wife always follows the footprints of her husband. 2 – On these bases, the marriage of a Muslim woman is prohibited with any NON-MUSLIM either he is Christian, Jew, Atheist or Idolater etc. Allah has cut off the guardianship of a Kafir over any Muslim. Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): {And never will Allah grant to the disbelievers a way over the believers}. [4:141] All the jurisprudents agree that marriage of a Muslim man to a Chaste woman from AHLULKITAB(People of the book) is lawful. Some of them disliked it. AHLULKITAB means the people of TORAH and BIBLE, who believe in a revealed religion, its origin was true, as Judaism and Christianity. Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): {Made lawful to you this day are AL-TAYYIBAT [all kinds of Halal (lawful) foods, which Allah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, etc., milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits, etc.(. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christian) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them.   

Source and Details:

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/Show … d
HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2008 - 11:35PM #26
sazaj36
So I can eat their cheeseburgers and steak...but not help myself to some Jewish or Christian Beefsteak? Something inherently not fair about that...thankfully I do not believe God would expand the "dietary" items on a Muslim mans list...and limit it for Muslim women...unless thats the first Diet ever created.....the Humanity Diet. All a Muslim women has to do to be thin and attain Heaven at the same time is to avoid fatty corrupting artery clogging Jewish or Christian "meat"...if she just limits herself to Muslim meat...she will be rewarded with a hot body in heaven...that she can gloat over while all the Muslim men in Heaven walk around with their 72 virgins and potbellies gained from all that Jewish and Christian excess in female meat....I knew their was a reason we couldnt have that meat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 1:49AM #27
Miraj
I say Allah's opinion is more important than any Muslims re this issue. Since Allah has not placed women under the authority of men, nor banned marriages between Muslim women and kitabi men, and did not instruct the Prophet to teach against it, jahilyya minded Muslims can dislike interfaith marriage for Muslim women all they want. They can lie about it all they want, they can rage against it all they want. But, they will pay dearly for misleading others on the Day of Judgment. That there will be justice in the End is what gives me peace.
Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 3:01PM #28
IDBC
Cincy

"It use to be outlawed in this country for a white woman to marry a man of color. It was forbidden. This too was backed by people who attended church and went to Sunday school and loved god just like you and of course read the bible." 

Actually the law worked BOTH ways.  It was also outlawed-illegal for a white man to marry a black woman.  If I am not mistaken, the Supreme Court case that declared such laws  unconstitutional involved a white man who married a black woman. 

And while it is true that laws against inter-racial marriages were supported by  some christian churches(usally fundamentalist0, other christian churches(usally moderate-liberal) did allow for such marriages. 

"So, when you write these things about a Muslim woman can't marry someone outside of her religion. It reminds me of the outdated feelings we had in this country not too long ago."

It reminds me of the  current controversy of same sex marriages.  ;)
HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2008 - 7:45AM #29
Unimportant
I haven't been onto this forum in a while (so long, that I could no longer access my old account) but I'm not surprised to see that this is still a hot topic.

[QUOTE=tinyone664;621089]my parents are ready to disown me and wish me to hell, and my Imam says that no muslims are allowed to marry any nonmuslims. so, im' confused. terribly confused. and saddened by all of this. He has also said that it is the scholars of Islam which have done more harm to Islam then the enemies. how can that be when Allah (swt) has told us to learn and read and always seek the truth?[/QUOTE]

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. I have some experience of a number of similar scenarios - some first hand, some second hand,

As you'll have seen on here (and experienced in real life) different people have different views, and there are very strong opinions on both sides of the argument. And no matter how valid the rationale presented by either side is, it's rare for this rationale to change anyone else's opinion. Strongly held beliefs seem to defy even simple logic.

From my own research, I am convinced of the validity of my own opinion. But that's unlikely to change anyone else's mind. Similarly, someone else (who is equally convinced of the validity of their opinion) is unlikely to change mine - although I hope that I'm open minded enough to consider their reasoning.

My point is this: even if you find what you consider to be irrefutable evidence that such marriages are valid, you are still likely to have trouble convincing your parents.

So what do you believe?
Are you prepared to risk losing your parents or your fiance for what you believe in?
Is there any possibility of your fiance converting? Does he know about your faith to seriously consider it?
Is there even a position of compromise - whereby he can make a true and valid statement of his faith and religious practices which could have them consider him Muslim in all but name, even if he doesn't? After all, the word "Muslim" simply means one who submits (to Allah). Could he demonstrate that he is that?

(These are all rhetorical questions.)

I hope that you and your fiance find the way forwards.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 8:00AM #30
mmustahsan
[QUOTE=sazaj36;618925]Funny you say that because you assume I have not read such things.....I have and have still come to the same conclusion. Your claiming God made an exception for Muslim men to marry what you consider to be unbelievers and idol worshippers...meanwhile Muslims are prohibited from marrying them period. So in your opinion was God  rather wishy washy on the subject of whether we can or cannot marry unbelievers and idol worshippers...or are you saying God doesnt mind that Muslim men will marry and allow their children to be  raised by women that are either unbelievers or idol worshippers? So its ok for Muslim men but not for Muslim women....dont need scholars  to tell me thats wrong...thanks anyhow.[/QUOTE]

Why do you bring Islam in the picture when you have already made up your mind to go your own way? Allah allows Muslim men to marry chaste and pious women from the people of the book. Believe me- by Islamic standards no woman of the Book at least in the west - none at all, can be said to be chaste and pious. More over, had Allah allowed Muslim women marrying the men of the Books, He would have openly declared that. Who was He afraid of? He didn't suffer from amnesia! Obviously Allah doesn't permit such unions. This is how prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and all his companions and all the religious scholars all along these fourteen hundred years have understood the verse. If you are more intelligent than all of them and can understand Quran better than the one upon it was revealed, it is another matter, but then Allah ordains us several times in His Book to refer to His Book and the prophet's verdict in all our problems. You cannot claim to be a Muslim and do what ever you like including getting involved in haraam (Illegal) relationships. This is open Nifaq (hypocricy).

America is a boiling pot of faiths and cultures. People like you will perhaps be the first to be lost from the Islamic ummah followed by all those who want to compromise with the godless and secular American values to enjoy their mundane life and it's comfort here. You are useless anyway for the Islamic ummah with such thoughts and deeds. Sorry if it hurts!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook